Ford Fusion Energi Forum

FordService - I really could use your help with my 2017 Energi Platinum

thinkcooper

Hello FordService,

I'm hoping you might be able to help me. I own a 2017 Fusion Energi Platinum that I bought back in December 2016. It's my second top of the line Fusion Energi, my first was a 2015 Titanium. I've leased both vehicles through Ford Credit.

Here's my sad story.

I purchased the 2017 on ~December 7th. And boy was I happy. So happy, I shot this amazing video below showing the adaptive cruise control in action, in bumper to bumper traffic on December 15th. Impressed? Yes indeed, I was.

On the return trip back a few hours later, I was rear ended while doing 50mph on US 101, just south of San Francisco by a Freightliner box truck doing 70mph in a downpour. Turns out the driver was uninsured and DUI, but that's another story altogether. I'm okay aside from whiplash. On the upside, the car possibly saved my life. Turns out, that's the best part of this tale.

Here's the sad part. It's February 7th, and my car cannot be repaired. The body damage is completely fixed, however, the left rear Blind Spot Indicator radar and it's computer module have been on back order since 2016. The first order date of December 28th slid by without the part being delivered. The 2nd date of January 10th slid by without the part. And today, I just got a call from the body shop telling me the third date of February 10 will not be met. The new date??? Sit down. Breath deep. Prepare yourself.

March 24th. That's not a typo... We're talking 03/24/2017. That will make it three months without one part that would enable me to drive the car I'm paying Ford Credit a significant lease payment on. And that date in March cannot be guaranteed according to the dealer!?!?!

The body shop is working with our local Ford dealer North Bay Ford. My insurance company is the rock solid USAA, and we have full coverage for uninsured drivers, thankfully. 

Here's where I could use your help Megan.

Please connect with someone at Ford who can deliver the part to our local dealer. I'm a Ford guy. I want to stay a Ford guy (I've had a Pantera, bought a brand new first day off the truck Taurus SHO, a '53 F350, and these two Fusions). But I need help.

Attached are two pretty pictures, one sad picture, and a photo of the unfulfilled part order form our local dealer North Bay Ford.

Pretty please? With sugar on top?

post-158-0-61348500-1486524336_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-29623400-1486524349_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-11694700-1486524356_thumb.jpg

Edited by thinkcooper

Because people exaggerate on the internet, and play loose with dates, here's a photo of the part order with the local dealer, showing the dates back in December and January, with the February 10th new delivery date... Sadly that upcoming new delivery date has now moved to March 24th. It's been in Emergency status since mid January. 

post-158-0-35538600-1486524897_thumb.jpg

Edited by thinkcooper

That is terrible news...both the wreck and the backordered part. Is the car at least drivable right now?

Yes - it's drivable, but due to liability issues related to a not working safety feature (BLIS) the body shop won't authorize the car's release, nor will the insurance company. Their story is basically - what if you killed someone by changing lanes due the BLIS being inoperable.

Yes - it's drivable, but due to liability issues related to a not working safety feature (BLIS) the body shop won't authorize the car's release, nor will the insurance company. Their story is basically - what if you killed someone by changing lanes due the BLIS being inoperable.

This seems odd, since you as the driver can turn BLIS off can't you?  I could see if there was no way to turn it off, but if it was working and you shut it off, this is no different.

Oh man, what I wonderful overly legalized world we live in eh? Yeah, play the angle that it's an optional feature and see what happens. The insurance policy may be specific to that trim level (which includes BLIS) and may be factoring in the included safety features as part of the risk assessment so I can kinda see the insurance company's perspective...at least a little bit.

Edited by bdginmo

Oh man, what I wonderful overly legalized world we live in eh? Yeah, play the angle that it's an optional feature and see what happens. The insurance policy may be specific to that trim level (which includes BLIS) and may be factoring in the included safety features as part of the risk assessment so I can kinda see the insurance company's perspective...at least a little bit.

I can see their point too.  What if another driver gets in, turns it on thinking it is working and it doesn't...

Hey thinkcooper,

The last time I needed my dealer's attention, a Ford contact (may have been someone on the IVT Team) told me to post my concern on Ford's Facebook page.  I do not do Facebook but I used it to post my frustration with my dealer.  Ford replied and asked me to send them my VIN.  Plus I filled out a survey with very low scores and my dealer contacted immediately.  

I think the survey is what did it, but most companies do not want negative feedback out there on social media.  Go to Facebook and search for Ford.  

Hey thinkcooper,

The last time I needed my dealer's attention, a Ford contact (may have been someone on the IVT Team) told me to post my concern on Ford's Facebook page.  I do not do Facebook but I used it to post my frustration with my dealer.  Ford replied and asked me to send them my VIN.  Plus I filled out a survey with very low scores and my dealer contacted immediately.  

I think the survey is what did it, but most companies do not want negative feedback out there on social media.  Go to Facebook and search for Ford.  

I posted my story and pictures on the Ford Service FaceBook page today and was contacted by the service team asking for my VIN and contact details. Hopefully I can see some movement on this.

I posted my story and pictures on the Ford Service FaceBook page today and was contacted by the service team asking for my VIN and contact details. Hopefully I can see some movement on this.

I feel terrible since I was the one who asked for the video.  Have you considered towing your car to another shop?  

You call the third party body shop - they call someone at a dealership, dealership talks to someone else.  Try and find a larger dealer with their own Ford body shop? Just trying to help. 

Good grief.  Hope you really don't have whiplash!  

On the side, I don't know which is worse.  

Not being able getting a part, or finding out your Ford ACC/LKS rear view mirror alone costs $2000 from the parts window..

Edited by ClaveMan

Not being able getting a part, or finding out your Ford ACC/LKS rear view mirror alone costs $2000 from the parts window..

Dang...and this is exactly why we are getting the Ford ESP on our new 2017 Explorer Platinum. And I'm considering it on my 2015 Fusion Energi even though I don't have ACC/LKS on it.

I feel terrible since I was the one who asked for the video.  Have you considered towing your car to another shop?  

You call the third party body shop - they call someone at a dealership, dealership talks to someone else.  Try and find a larger dealer with their own Ford body shop? Just trying to help. 

Good grief.  Hope you really don't have whiplash!  

On the side, I don't know which is worse.  

Just in case there was any confusion: 

- My Adaptive Cruise Control video was not shot at any time close to the accident. It was shot hours before the accident while heading north on 101. I'd been planning on shooting the feature in a video well before any online discussions took place. 

- I did get whiplash and am still being treated for it. I'm also still getting treatment for the stress related to being rear ended by a truck at 70. The image of that moment keeps coming up whenever I drive now. 

- The parts availability is solely due to Ford the manufacturer being out of stock, with no inventory on hand, anywhere in the US or Canada - this issue will effect ANY other North American 2017 Fusion driver with BLIS who is rear ended. Sadly, the dealer and the body shop can not change a thing, regardless of who they are.

Edited by thinkcooper

Hooray for social media. 

It seems that going public with my story last week has awoken the Ford backordered parts beast. Just was updated by my body shop on Tuesday (02/14/17) that much to their surprise Ford had scheduled the part for delivery to their shop on the 14th. The sensor was installed later that day, and now the car is at the local dealer getting the computer system updated for the new sensor. I may have the car back as early as today. This is so much better than having to wait until March 24th (the date the part had been scheduled for delivery).

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious...did you receive diminished value compensation? This accident will now appear on a CarFax report so your car is now worth less that it was before the accident even after the repairs have been made. It sucks that it was an uninsured motorist that hit you otherwise I'd be going after their insurance hard for that. But, since it's your insurance that payouts I might not press as hard. I'm just curious how you're handling this aspect.

Just curious...did you receive diminished value compensation? This accident will now appear on a CarFax report so your car is now worth less that it was before the accident even after the repairs have been made. It sucks that it was an uninsured motorist that hit you otherwise I'd be going after their insurance hard for that. But, since it's your insurance that payouts I might not press as hard. I'm just curious how you're handling this aspect.

I've never been so grateful to be leasing a vehicle as now. Yes - there will be a massively reduced value on this car due to the accident and the Carfax data, but that will be Ford's issue when I turn the car in. I've been hesitant to load up my insurer (USAA) but they want to make me whole so far as the car being back, and repaired to 100% of my satisfaction, and to cover the costs of my injuries (whiplash), and put forward a pain/suffering settlement for that injury (still to be determned).

Diminished value would be a concern if I'd outright purchased the car.

Next up is the pending felony DUI court case against the uninsured drunk truck driver by the San Francisco District Attorney. I'm the primary witness in that, and have provided a subpoenaed statement about the accident. Not sure when we'll have our day in court, but the DA tells me that it's typical the defendant, if guilty, will be facing restitution charges. My guess is that would be a place where diminshed value could be assessed, in addition to my out-of-pocket extra expenses for the rental car and my lease payments without having access to the car would be covered, but probably over some extended period of time in a modest per month dollar amount. I'll post updates.

One concern put to rest that I'd had? The EV battery and charging circuit's condition... I was really worried that the battery had been damaged in the impact. I wish there were online images of how that battery is situated in the car, and perhaps shielded from damage by the frame, but I wasn't able to find anything. Anyway, now that I've had the car back for a few days, I've been able to go through two full EV discharge/recharge cycles successfully. My concern was that if that had been damaged, even though the car looked nearly as good as new, the insurance provider would have had to total the car. I'm guessing the battery is a $15K (or more) item, which combined with the $15K of accident damage would have aproached the number to total the vehicle out. Hard to project out though what the insurer would have done in that circumstance.

It might be a bigger issue for insurers of EVs in the future...

PS: I bought a front/rear dash cam off Amazon to record my drives going forward. I'm still so spooked by the accident I want whatever supporting evidence I can get, should I get hit again.

Edited by thinkcooper

One concern put to rest that I'd had? The EV battery and charging circuit's condition... I was really worried that the battery had been damaged in the impact. I wish there were online images of how that battery is situated in the car, and perhaps shielded from damage by the frame, but I wasn't able to find anything. Anyway, now that I've had the car back for a few days, I've been able to go through two full EV discharge/recharge cycles successfully. My concern was that if that had been damaged, even though the car looked nearly as good as new, the insurance provider would have had to total the car. I'm guessing the battery is a $15K (or more) item, which combined with the $15K of accident damage would have aproached the number to total the vehicle out. Hard to project out though what the insurer would have done in that circumstance.

It might be a bigger issue for insurers of EVs in the future...

PS: I bought a front/rear dash cam off Amazon to record my drives going forward. I'm still so spooked by the accident I want whatever supporting evidence I can get, should I get hit again.

The battery is in the trunk.  That's the reason the trunk is so small.

post-73-0-84098200-1488567466_thumb.jpg