Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Engine quits running after extended idle

F16JetJock

I have a 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium with 32,000 miles.

The engine will quit running after extended idle that usually occurs during long stop lights.

Dealer says it's a means to save fuel, but this is nonsensical.

Is dealer  correct in that this action by design? Or is there perhaps a computer anomaly?

Just to be clear...your concern is that the ICE (internal combustion engine) is turning off while waiting at long lights?

I have the complete opposite concern. You make it sound like the ICE runs all of the time. Why is it only turning off while idling for long periods. If the ICE is warmed up it will typically turn off before you've even made a complete stop. Hell, it should even be turning off occasionally while maintaining highway speeds.

Can you provide more details?

Edited by bdginmo

Yes the engine will turn off when not needed to save fuel. Not running the engine uselessly is part of how a hybrid saves fuel. The engine will automatically start again when needed. All you have to do is drive the vehicle like you would normally.

Even some newer non hybrids have start stop systems that stop the engine when it is not needed. Many manufactures plan to transition most if not all of their vehicles to 48v mild hybrids that will not have an electric motor and mostly function as advanced start stop system.

Edited by openair

I've determined that my 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium does NOT have Start-Stop technology, therefore this technology is NOT causing the ICE to quit after perhaps only three minutes of the latter idling at a stop-light (and no charge remaining in the running batteries)

Moreover, common sense dictates that Ford engineers did NOT design the ICE to quit operating entirely when the running batteries are discharged. This is what is occurring because in order to accelerate after intersection lights turn green, the shift lever MUST be put in Park position, then both the brake-peddle and Start Button must be depressed in order to restart the ICE. Consequently, the Ford Service Manager is wrong about this issue being normal operation. Being the case, this anomaly is a precursor to a recall complaint if the problem cannot be remedied.

Edited by F16JetJock

My engine stops at every stop light and also while cruising down the road.  It starts automatically when the accelerator pedal calls for more power than the battery can supply.  Spring through fall my engine usually does not start at all.  I do most of my driving on battery only.

Put the car in EV Only with a fully charged battery and temperatures above 75°and you can go 21 miles without the engine starting at all unless you floor the accelerator pedal and keep it floored.  Above 85 mph the engine will always be running.

Wait...are you saying that you have to move the shift level to park, press the brake pedal, and then press the start button to "restart the vehicle", and finally move the shift lever back to drive every time you come to a stop at a light to get the vehicle to accelerate? If so then that's definitely not normal. I had to reread your latest post a half dozen times before that clicked with me because you're wording is incredibly confusing. 

So, one more time, please explain exactly what is happening and why you think it's a problem.

Does the engine turn off/on periodically while driving...even at highway speeds?

What happens as you approach a stop light? Does the engine kick off or stay running?

What happens after you have come to a complete stop? Does the engine kick off or stay running?

What happens after the light turns green and you press on the accelerator? Does the vehicle move?

Edited by bdginmo

How about this wording:

When the car stops running, does it shut itself COMPLETELY off, losing your dash, stereo, and every other electronic gizmo in the car and you have to press the brake + start to get it going again,

OR

The motor simply stops running while you are coasting up to a stop light?

If it is the former, that's a big problem.

If it is the latter, that is normal operation.

Every Ford hybrid/plugin has auto stop/start technology.  The cars that advertise having it are traditional gassers that have a different system installed which raises the price and is considered an optional feature.  You lift your foot off the brake and the motor starts again.  With hybrids and their giant batteries and electric motors, the ICE/motor/engine augments the system.

Based on the OP's lack of engagement here this doesn't seem to be of much concern to him/her. Until we hear otherwise I simply have to assume there that everything is working fine and that there is a misunderstanding about how hybrid vehicles work.

Edited by bdginmo