Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford's Leviton 240 volt charging station

Taylorjd

$4000 is way too much for the unit...seeing as I think $1500 for the Leviton Ford one is too much.  I also noticed that when you click "find an EV certified Ford dealer in your area" it just takes you to the Focus site, but you said you found out how to work it?  Could you let me know how?  I've been trying to find out what other dealers around me are EV certified but haven't found a way to know.

Yesyerday I just noticed a new Chevy Volt L2 charger on E-bay for $450.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Vehicle-Charger-Voltec-Level-2-6-EL-50580-A-240v-Brand-New-Volt-/321104953061?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

It looks like pretty much the same one I got for my C-Max Energi, and it works fine.

I did put a cord & plug on it myself, to plug into my existing 240v receptacle

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the charger won't have anything to do with the EV miles available after a charge, right?

Well, I would say no except for the fact that we have myself and others reporting they are getting 21+ miles on a charge or their displays are showing more than a 21 mile range.

I just went to my garage and looked at my current charge and the displays shows 24 miles. That being said, my experience has been that those miles over 21 seem to fall off rather quickly and then the EV Now performs in what I would call a "normal" fashion, or in a way I would expect it to.

The only explanation I have for the additional charge showing on the display is that Mr Electric told me I have "125 volts of two poles, for a total 250 volts". I have no idea if that would increase the effective charge or not and I will leave it to others, who know more about these things, to make their comments.

You are also talking about different chargers (FYI, only difference is charge SPEED). Both act the same, however the car limits you to the same output from the charger. I.E. The car only accepts 3.3 Kw max, the size of the on board charger. The Focus now has a 6.6 Kw.

The Ford one is the same as the Leviton EVB22-3PT Evr-Green 160 3.8kW Home Charging Station, not the EVB40 which is twice the watts and (at the moment) only helps on the Focus. Home Despot Depot sells both. The higher power one has a longer cable.

Edited by shaggy314

You are also talking about different chargers (FYI, only difference is charge SPEED). Both act the same, however on Frod Energi as the car limits you to the same output from the charger.

The Ford one is the same as the Leviton EVB22-3PT Evr-Green 160 3.8kW Home Charging Station, not the EVB40 which is twice the watts and (at the moment) only helps on the Focus (which I THINK has the higher on-board charger). Home Despot Depot sells both. The higher power on has the longer cable.

I think I agree with you on the SPEED issue but the Ford L2 charger has a 32 amp, 7.68 kVa input/output. Specs here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a9cf5f77e2ad295c&id=A9CF5F77E2AD295C!410&Bsrc=SkyMail&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&sc=Documents&authkey=!AKvnlvuK7sr_I5E#cid=A9CF5F77E2AD295C&id=A9CF5F77E2AD295C!411&sc=Documents&authkey=!AKvnlvuK7sr_I5E.

I went with the EVB22-3PT charger (3.8KW unit).  Went with it for a couple reasons.  One is that the car only has a 3.3kw onboard charger, so anything more wouldn't benefit the car (although, I do wonder, if it'll allow the car to run the onboard heater at maximum and not drain the battery - heater is 5kw).  Another reason is I don't want to put an enormous draw on the grid.  Most places are pretty overloaded already, ESPECIALLY during summer time when everybody is running their 6kw central air conditioners.  My outdoor condenser is on a 30 amp 240 circuit (900 square foot house) and when I turn that on, my meter spins like a top.  I can just see myself putting an additional 7.2kw load on the grid while that's running.  And with all the neighbors around, I'm sure we'd be blowing pole fuses or pole transformers with the draw.  So, I chose it to limit the amount of energy I consume from the grid.  I do, however, have plans to put up a solar roof once my place and car are paid for.

I went with the EVB22-3PT charger (3.8KW unit).  Went with it for a couple reasons.  One is that the car only has a 3.3kw onboard charger, so anything more wouldn't benefit the car (although, I do wonder, if it'll allow the car to run the onboard heater at maximum and not drain the battery - heater is 5kw).  Another reason is I don't want to put an enormous draw on the grid.  Most places are pretty overloaded already, ESPECIALLY during summer time when everybody is running their 6kw central air conditioners.  My outdoor condenser is on a 30 amp 240 circuit (900 square foot house) and when I turn that on, my meter spins like a top.  I can just see myself putting an additional 7.2kw load on the grid while that's running.  And with all the neighbors around, I'm sure we'd be blowing pole fuses or pole transformers with the draw.  So, I chose it to limit the amount of energy I consume from the grid.  I do, however, have plans to put up a solar roof once my place and car are paid for.

I am pretty sure that even if you get the bigger charger, its only going to pull what it can use so you will never pull the 7.2 load (with the Fusion anyway). Most people here are looking at the larger level 2 chargers thinking that this will not be there last electric car and the next one may benefit from the larger capacity.

I am pretty sure that even if you get the bigger charger, its only going to pull what it can use so you will never pull the 7.2 load (with the Fusion anyway). Most people here are looking at the larger level 2 chargers thinking that this will not be there last electric car and the next one may benefit from the larger capacity.

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that the larger charger will do a much better job of keeping up with the demand when preheating or cooling the car while plugged in though. A point that Russael made.

Home Depot has the sweetest deal now. They have the new Leviton 7.6 charger WITH installation kit for (sit down), $849.

Leviton Evr-Green 30 Amp Indoor/Outdoor EV Charging Station with Free Installation Kit
Model # P00-EVKIT-030
Internet # 204088633

Edited by shaggy314

Hi. I've only had my Fusion Energi for a few days but am already totally psyched. I have 2 immediate questions:

1) Shouldn't I always be in the first EV mode that uses the lithium-ion batteries first? I got 30+ battery miles yesterday and that was on an expressway doing 65-70mph!

2) Would you recommend going to the dealer to get an extra plug-in cord? I would like to have one to leave in my garage and one to leave in the trunk.

3) If I get the in-garage 240v optional charging station, will the plug-in cord that came with the car work, or will I need to get a different cord? 

Thanks!!

Bobbie 

1.  It depends on what you want to do.  When I get my car I will be driving 35 miles to visit my sister.  I will use EV later so the battery will still be charged when I get there.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to demonstrate electric drive.  Same thing when I drive 265 miles to visit my brother.

2. The answer to this question requires question 3 to be answered first.  If you get a 240 charger you don't need a second 120 charger.

3. The 240 charger mounts on the wall and has a built-in charging cord.  The one that came with the car stays in the trunk.

Hi. I've only had my Fusion Energi for a few days but am already totally psyched. I have 2 immediate questions:

1) Shouldn't I always be in the first EV mode that uses the lithium-ion batteries first? I got 30+ battery miles yesterday and that was on an expressway doing 65-70mph!

2) Would you recommend going to the dealer to get an extra plug-in cord? I would like to have one to leave in my garage and one to leave in the trunk.

3) If I get the in-garage 240v optional charging station, will the plug-in cord that came with the car work, or will I need to get a different cord?

1) EV auto. There are MANY debates on the modes and driving methods...

2) I wouldn't buy the Ford one unless it was the cheapest. No reason to pay for the Ford logo. I was going to do this too, but instead I went with a L2 charger. Home Depot/Amazon have nice ones from $750 - $850.

3) They are different things. The 240 charger has the same plug as the 110 on the car side (that's the point of the J standard). A 240 plug is different than a 110 on purpose, but that is only on the house side so you don't fry yourself or a device.  :-)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To follow up. I ended up  skipped going through Ford or the Geek squad and installing the wiring and outlet myself (would not recommend it if you are not comfortable or understand wiring). I went directly to Mr. Electric, who sold me a Ford charger at cost ($800), but charged me about $300 to bring it out, mount it and check over my wiring (They needed to make some profit).

I did check w Leviton on the wiring who said:

"The 240VAC home model that is applicable to your car would be the Ford approved Leviton made charger. This unit is gotten through Best Buy and installed by a Leviton contractor-Mr. Electric.

But to answer your questions, the Ford unit is a 32A rated unit and will require a minimum of 8 Gauge wire. Since there will have to be a conduit from the breaker panel to your disconnect switch, I would recommend THHN wire in at least 8 Gauge. The breaker would have to be a double pole 40A and the outlet would be a NEMA 6-50R. All this is actually handled by the installer-Mr. Electric."

Mr. Electric recommended using an 8 gauge wire as a ground wire as well. I went with 6 gauge wire for the two Hot wires (a bit over kill, but did not cost much more). I love the unit and it has been working well. 

IMG_4576.JPGIMG_4708.JPG

• 6 months later...

I got the Bosch 16 amp model, from my understanding the car cannot accept a higher charge rate than this anyways, unless you are planning ahead for your "next generation car".

smokewagon,

This is true, but I think it also came with a shorter cord and the cost was only about $100 more to step up to the 30A model.

• 2 weeks later...