Ford Fusion Energi Forum

What's the Best Braking Technique for Regeneration (High Score)

jaydubau

I usually checking my Brake coach when I come to a complete stop. And, I usually note the final score when I have arrived at my destination and shut the car off.

I'm still not sure which braking technique leads to higher scores and more efficient regeneration.

I've noticed that if I wait to the last second to start braking and brake harder than normal, the score is around 60%. However, I seem to get that same score when I start braking much earlier.

Then, seemingly out of the blue, I'll brake and get a score of high 90's?

Has anyone discovered the best braking technique for the highest score?

Drive the car as if you were driving on snow or slippery roads.  Allow yourself more time to brake, come to a smooth stop with even pressure.  The 2013's keep a "lifetime" score, and mine sits at 98%.

Obviously, don't blow stop signs or sudden yellow traffic lights.  If you drive the same route every day, anticipate what the traffic lights will do at each intersection.  I usually look at the pedestrian signals; that gives me a clue when the lights will change.

Remember that kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the velocity (E=1/2*mv^2). So your vehicle has 4x as much energy at 60 mph as it does at 30 mph. But, you're vehicle is only capable of regen braking at a max of about 50 amps. That means you can press harder on the brake pedal at 30 mph and still max out the regen than you could at 60 mph. The take away here is that you need to learn what kind of brake pressure you can apply at various speeds and still keep the brake coach score high. Always look ahead and anticipate stopping especially when driving at higher speeds. Make a 90%+ brake coach score your goal every time you stop. It's takes some practice and patience, but you it will eventually become second nature to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember that kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the velocity (E=1/2*mv^2). So your vehicle has 4x as much energy at 60 mph as it does at 30 mph. But, you're vehicle is only capable of regen braking at a max of about 50 amps. That means you can press harder on the brake pedal at 30 mph and still max out the regen than you could at 60 mph. The take away here is that you need to learn what kind of brake pressure you can apply at various speeds and still keep the brake coach score high. Always look ahead and anticipate stopping especially when driving at higher speeds. Make a 90%+ brake coach score your goal every time you stop. It's takes some practice and patience, but you it will eventually become second nature to you.

Why in the world does the car not have a percent of max regen indicator in the readout display like the Prius? being told after the fact is somewhat helpful, but why not tell me i am at 120% max breaking during the breaking event instead of telling me i got an 80% score when it is too late to do anything about it?

Why in the world does the car not have a percent of max regen indicator in the readout display like the Prius? being told after the fact is somewhat helpful, but why not tell me i am at 120% max breaking during the breaking event instead of telling me i got an 80% score when it is too late to do anything about it?

I hear you. Our 2012 Escape Hybrid had this so it's not like Ford doesn't have a precedent for providing it. And yes, it would be incredibly useful.