Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Public Charging

BobLindemann

Hello,

I'm a new Fusion Energi owner new to the EV market.  I have been looking around at websites that show public charging stations such as Blink, Chargepoint, PlugShare, EVgo, etc.   Many of them show the same stations on their maps, but each website seems to want you to sign up for their own branded payment account to use at the charging stations.  I'm assuming the different companies must all be part of a partner network that allows you to use their brand of payment at any charging station?  I signed up for Blink, is that a good choice? Is there advantages or dis-advantages to using a particular company?  

Thanks in Advance.

Bob

Blink, Chargepoint, and EVgo are charging companies.  Plugshare is a user supported system that aggregates the locations of all kinds of charging systems including owners that make their home charging EVSE available to others by appointment.  You must be a Plugshare member to see those.  Some commercial locations are free and some charge by time connected because they are prohibited from charging by kWh supplied because they are not electric utility companies.  Charging by time for an Energi can be expensive since the car is limited to 3.8 kW which means at least 2 hours to charge fully.  I don't think card sharing is available today.  You need each card.  I have a Chargepoint card, that was free, that I have not used in four years and a Greenlots card, that cost $5, that I have used once.  In some cases an app on a cellphone can be used in place of a card.  99.99999% of my charging is done in my garage or in my brother's driveway.  One place that I have been has free charging but is located in a parking lot that charges $3 per hour to park and has a tow truck on standby if you run over the time you prepaid for.

Hi Murphy

Thanks for the information. I notice that the Chargepoint website lists charging stations for Chargepoint, EVgo, Blink and SemaCharge - while the other brand websites only list charging stations for their own brand.   I don't see myself using them much, as you mention most of my charging will be done at home - and since it can run as a hybrid it isn't critical to take the time and pay higher rates to charge when I'm out and about, but it's just great to know the option is there.