Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Questions about reliability

JHolter

I purchased a used 2016 Ford Fusion Energi with 24,000 miles on it. I have not taken delivery of the car yet, the mechanics have had ito for the following issues.

1. Nended new 12 volt battery

2. After battery was installed module was out

3. Once the module was replaced another module went out

4. When both modules were replaced Ford said it needed a wiring hatness.

5. Apparently the wiring harness is for the transmission.

Car will not be fixed until next week.

My question is to anyone who has this car is it reliable?...

My 2014 fusion energi with 90k km has had more than a dozen warrantied repairs (everything from the hood latch and wind shield wiper motors to o2 and evap sensors to the heater core twice) since I bought it new and still has intermittent issues Ford refuses to acknowledge. All but the second heater core was within the bumper to bumper warranty.

The 2016 and 2017 fusions of all trims (gas, hybrid, energi) did have repeated 12v issues that may or may not be fixed yet (software fixes so far).

Edited by openair

If you're concerned you can always get a genuine Ford extended service plan. You're still within the 3yr/36000 factory warranty so it's possible to pick up the ESP for a decent price if you shop around online. I used Flood Ford to buy mine. I think I got the 7yr/125000mi ESP for $1400 or something like that.

I've had two warranty repairs so far. The heater core (it's electric) same as openair and one of the computer modules had to be reflashed. The heater core was probably a defect from the factory because it failed almost immediately when I first started using it the first winter. So far no other problems...32,000 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my factory exec 2017 FFE on June 13 and I'm thinking I'm glad I bought the extended warranty (6yr/120,000 for $1468).  So far the only issue I have had was the touchscreen totally locked up while browsing my USB stick of music.  Even the steering wheel controls would not work so it was more than just the touchscreen.  I parked the car at home  and when I shut it off the display was still on.  It finally shut off and the next morning it was fine. 

• 3 months later...

I got my factory exec 2017 FFE on June 13 and I'm thinking I'm glad I bought the extended warranty (6yr/120,000 for $1468).  So far the only issue I have had was the touchscreen totally locked up while browsing my USB stick of music.  Even the steering wheel controls would not work so it was more than just the touchscreen.  I parked the car at home  and when I shut it off the display was still on.  It finally shut off and the next morning it was fine. 

This happened to me on the test drive. If your touchscreen locks up, all you need to do is hold the audio power button down and I believe the left seek button. Could be right seek but I can't remember exactly what the salesman pushed. It will reboot and then all good.