Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Engine On Due to Battery Temp

kpeercy

I've owned a 2013 FFE for 8 days. Today, I took my longest round trip at 100 miles. On the trip back and after descending for a couple of miles, the battery icon during hybrid drive was completely full and the panel showed the engine on due to "acceleration and battery temp" for 8-10 miles. Eventually it went away and electric drive was used several times before getting home.

How common is battery temp being an issue? As I said, I had descended for a few miles, using both coasting and brakes. The battery was full and the outside temp was 90. Was either or both the likely culprit?

It's happened several times on ours when the temps get above 90, and then it you are going down hills and the HVB is already full, that can also cause the engine to come on.  Seems like normal behavior.

With this kind of car you will see behavior at times that is not like that of traditional cars, so unless you see warning lights come on then everything is probably fine.