Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Engine starting - Why?

flyingcheesehead

Hi all,

I've had my 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium since Nov. 2014, so I know it pretty well.

Just in the last couple of weeks, it's begun starting the ICE in what seems to be random fashion. I'll be going somewhere and the HVB will still be half full, but the ICE will start and run for a few minutes and then shut back off.

Observations so far:

* This happens whether HVAC is on or off. 

* I haven't had this happen until I've used up at least 25% of the HVB. I usually drive in L all the time except when the HVB is nearly full (I don't want the ICE to come on, of course).

* It happens in EV Auto, and when it does happen I lose the option to switch to EV Later or EV Now, just as if the HVB was empty, but it's not even close to empty when this happens.

* Screen says engine is on due to "normal operation."

What could be causing this?

What is the outside temp when this happens?  I've found it pretty common when temps get above 90 or so.

I don't think it's hit 90 in the same time frame this has happened. Our highs have been in the 70s and 80s for the most part, but my car is black and usually parked in the sun during the day. It isn't coming on right when I leave work, though, it's usually at least a few minutes and a mile or two away.

What is the cause of it happening in hot weather?

I drive mine in EV Now 100% of the time when there is a charge in the battery.

I used to, back when I could plug in at work. Now, we moved to a new office that's farther away from home AND I can't plug in. :( So, somewhere on my commute home, the ICE will come on. I like to be able to see the threshold drop on the Empower screen so that I can delay the ICE as long as possible, and often when I get the "EV Now Not Available" screen it blocks things long enough that I can't watch the threshold and may end up starting the ICE right away.

Also, since it switches back to Auto every day now, I've gotten away from switching it to EV Now each morning. I hate how switching to EV Now automatically opens the (worthless) Energy Usage view. Between those two things, I just leave it in Auto now.

Do you use the empower screen? Is the threshold falling unexpectedly or is the ice suddenly starting while the threshold was at the normal 4 bars before starting?

I do use Empower. The threshold isn't falling, it stays at its normal HVB-using level, near the top. The ICE will come on even if there is little or no load on the motor.

Had the engine run intentionally before running unknowingly? If engine had run at some point during the trip it will come back on to rewarm the transmission fuild and keep it warm until the vehicle is restarted.

No. Run in EV Auto without the ICE for 10-15 miles prior to this happening.