Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Energi EV auto, advantages of charging

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Subaru Forester
  • My Fusion's Year:None

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hi folks-

Newbie here looking to buy a 2017 Energi possibly to replace one of our old beaters.  I have just begun wrapping my head around the Energi and what it has to offer and I'm curious, for someone who does predominantly highway driving (say 44 miles each way with option to charge at home and at the destination), what advantages do charging the HVB have to offer over using a standard Fusion Hybrid?

I'm assuming a charged HVB can supplement the gasoline motor well enough that it improves the average fuel economy (so does it lean on the electric motor more than the Hybrid version does?), but are there other tangible improvements such as increase in available torque/horsepower with a charged HVB vs. a depleted (hybrid-mode-only) HVB?

I noticed the official specs from Ford ( http://www.ford.com/...sion-energi-se/) mention "  188 (195 in Charge-Depletion Mode) " and is the 195HP figure only available when the HVB is charged up?

I'm also aware that you can run the heater or A/C with the car plugged in, that seems like an obvious advantage of the Energi model.

Thank you for your time & thoughts!

-Eric

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   openair

openair

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 469 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOntario
  • Current Vehicle:2014 fusion energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2014

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

The difference between the hybrid and energi is that the energi can drive on electricity only for up to 19 miles.
The 195hp should be available when running as either a hybrid (Ev range depleted) or Ev later and there is sufficient charge of the hybrid portion or Ev later window.

#3 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

I love that I can program the car to warm up before I leave for work in the winter. I will say this is far more effective with a 240v EVSE. So that's something to keep in mind.

377260.png

#4 OFFLINE   MarkK

MarkK

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi (on order)
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:41 AM

Eric,

Let's say your commute was 40 miles, and let's say you can get 20 miles on electric only (mine is saying 22 now). You charge the car at home, then when you drive to work, it goes half way on electric only. Then you do the reverse, charging at work, driving home, half way on electric only again. Say the gas only (hybrid) gets 40 mpg, you will have gone 80 miles, and have gotten 80 mpg (used one gallon of gas). (In your real case, the number might be ~75 mpg.) Electric costs something, depending where you charge, but generally much less than gas (and sometimes free to you).

My 2017, with me now for most of a month, is not used to commute. I do a lot of short trips, and most of my charging is at the parking deck at my gym, at a free high speed charger. I'm getting about 120 mpg - so for about 500 miles, I've used about 4 gallons of gas. It was 230 mpg until I took it on a couple of longer drives.

One downside of the car which does not matter to me, since my wife has a car with an excellent trunk for trips: The trunk is very small. I can fit my golf clubs though, but nothing more, for instance. Or one suitcase. Otherwise, the fit and finish is generally very good, although I've found one small 'defect' which I doubt anyone else would see. It is very attractive, it handles well, and it is very quiet.

Mark

#5 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationPeoria, IL
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

Eric,

I drive about 100 miles round trip a day, 4 days a week.  I plug in every night.  Our average cost of electricity per KWH is about 2 cents.  So it costs me roughly 12 cents to charge up and that gets me about 21 miles.  Actually, with regen braking I get about 25.  I do not have an option to charge at work.  On the weekends (Fri/Sat/Sun), I generally drive short trips and use EV only.  I went from filling up every three days in my Focus with about 11 gallons of gas, which got around 32mpg to filling up every two weeks and taking about 13 gallons of gas.  With the FFTE I'm averaging about 55 combined mpg.  So do the math anyway you like it but the FFTE was well worth it.  And once I retire it will be even more cost effective.

Rob

641076.png

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

Only 2 cents per kwh for electricity, wow, they are giving it away in IL!!

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationPeoria, IL
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:40 AM

Yah but they are raping us with the recent 32% state tax increase.  Not to mention our outrageous property taxes.  I'm out of here when I retire.

641076.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·