Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

All rotors warped at 55k miles

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BLFarnsworth

BLFarnsworth

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

I have a 2015 Fusion Energi, live in So Cal, and drive (I'm guessing) 65% highway / 35% city. I drive pretty conservatively - try to keep my braking score up and maximize regen -- but just recently I found that the whole car shakes while moderately braking. Dealer says they're warped but can turn the rotors and replace brake pads. The brake pads look in great shape, about only 10-20% of them gone.

2 questions:

1: is it normal to have all the brake rotors warped on this vehicle at around 55k miles? I know that brake pad & rotor wear depends on how hard you drive, environment (i.e., the plains vs. mountains), how many passengers on average in the car, etc.

2: even though the dealer says they can turn the rotors, would you just replace them (the rotors)? Dealer here says that turning the rotors and installing new brake pads would run about $350-375 for all four wheels

Any info would be appreciated!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

Brake rotors warp because they have been overheated.  Do you brake with your left foot?

#3 OFFLINE   BLFarnsworth

BLFarnsworth

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

I brake with my right foot (funny - my mom used to drive with two feet; she'd brake with her left foot [while probably slightly stepping on it all the time] and it drove me nuts).

I completely get it that brake rotors warp due to overheating (i.e. applying brakes during a long downhill stops, then while the car is stopped... the brake pads are still applying pressure to one [hot] spot on the rotors) while the other part of the rotor is cooling... Or repeated hard braking. I'm pretty cognizant of lightly applying the brakes, getting as much regen and keeping my brake score high.

I'm sure I've had a few hard stops in the time I've had the car, but not a whole lot of them. Of course, I don't have a way to record the number of hard stops (like some of the speed/braking monitors available nowadays); I wish I did. I'm just surprised that all the rotors are warped after just 55k on this car.

Or is this typical for these Fusion Energis? Thanks in advance.

Edited by BLFarnsworth, 14 July 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   storksb

storksb

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNo VA
  • Current Vehicle:FFE

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

I would take it to another shop to get a second opinion, rotors should not be warped with such mileage unless lots of heavy repeated braking.  is it possible shaking caused by something else in the braking system?

#5 OFFLINE   BLFarnsworth

BLFarnsworth

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

I would take it to another shop to get a second opinion, rotors should not be warped with such mileage unless lots of heavy repeated braking.  is it possible shaking caused by something else in the braking system?

Thanks for the reply, and yep, I just scheduled an inspection at an independent repair shop tomorrow morning... I also wondered about something else in the braking system - we'll see, but I sure hope it isn't the ABS going bad on me! 

#6 OFFLINE   openair

openair

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 475 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOntario
  • Current Vehicle:2014 fusion energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2014

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Don't machine them. I had mine machined and three months later, without hard braking, they were pitted and needed machining or replacing again. If they're already warped from over heating, when they're thinner after the machining, they warp even easier.
  • Timewellspent and spirilis like this

#7 OFFLINE   BLFarnsworth

BLFarnsworth

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

Don't machine them. I had mine machined and three months later, without hard braking, they were pitted and needed machining or replacing again. If they're already warped from over heating, when they're thinner after the machining, they warp even easier.

Yeah, after thinking about the fact that the rotors were going to be much thinner - and more likely to warp sooner... I decided to just replace all the rotors.

Here's the summary... I took the car to 2 different Ford dealerships, and they both told me that the rotors were warped and that they could turn all rotors and "de-glaze" the brake pads.

First, I understand it when you have to resurface the rotors to even out the surface, but machining warped rotors means that you have to strip away everything that's "warped" on both sides. Who knows how much material that'll really remove from the rotor... I'm sure a lot more material than if you were just smoothing out the surface (of a rotor that isn't warped). So, just like openair said, the rotors would be a lot thinner and probably will warp easier.

Second, de-glazing pads? I guess there's still a lot of pad left so they said they'd basically sand down the surface. I've never done that before, but... OK.

I decided to take the car to an independent shop; I can get 4 new rotors and all new brake pads for about $50.00 than what the dealers would charge to turn the rotors and "de-glaze" the pads -- that seems a better use of $ to me.

Anyway, I'm still not that happy about having to replace all these brake components after 55k miles... On a hybrid, no less! I used to unequivocally recommend this Fusion Energi, but now will warn any prospective buyers that they might have to replace the damn rotors and pads earlier than they expect. 

Edited by BLFarnsworth, 18 July 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Davidoo

Davidoo

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPhoenix
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

Yeah, after thinking about the fact that the rotors were going to be much thinner - and more likely to warp sooner... I decided to just replace all the rotors.

Here's the summary... I took the car to 2 different Ford dealerships, and they both told me that the rotors were warped and that they could turn all rotors and "de-glaze" the brake pads.

First, I understand it when you have to resurface the rotors to even out the surface, but machining warped rotors means that you have to strip away everything that's "warped" on both sides. Who knows how much material that'll really remove from the rotor... I'm sure a lot more material than if you were just smoothing out the surface (of a rotor that isn't warped). So, just like openair said, the rotors would be a lot thinner and probably will warp easier.

Second, de-glazing pads? I guess there's still a lot of pad left so they said they'd basically sand down the surface. I've never done that before, but... OK.

I decided to take the car to an independent shop; I can get 4 new rotors and all new brake pads for about $50.00 than what the dealers would charge to turn the rotors and "de-glaze" the pads -- that seems a better use of $ to me.

Anyway, I'm still not that happy about having to replace all these brake components after 55k miles... On a hybrid, no less! I used to unequivocally recommend this Fusion Energi, but now will warn any prospective buyers that they might have to replace the damn rotors and pads earlier than they expect. 

I don't know what to say about this only that I believe this is highly unusual.  I now have a 2017 Energi with only 6,000 miles, so obviously no brake issues.  However, I had a 2011 Fusion Hybrid and put 100,000 miles on it and the brakes were straight and plenty of pad still left.  With the hybrids, seems like the brakes should last longer than most other cars, and that was my experience.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 360 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

If you're hand, brakes are very easy to do.  You could replace the rotors and pads yourself and it would cost much less.

For the record, I drove my Cmax to 73k miles and the brakes were still like new, I regen very well, 99% brake score lifetime average.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 18 July 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Tammap

Tammap

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:57 AM

Read every words in the attachment and you'll very soon know more about brake than most part exchangers out there.

http://opensiuc.lib....ntext=auto_pres

Enjoy!

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Creed III

Paul Creed III

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 26 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
  • My Fusion's Year:None

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

My 2017 has 15,000 miles, I am easy on the brakes (still on the first set of pads), and the front rotors needing machining and the rears replaced. Tech blamed it on the weather. 

#12 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 61 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationPeoria, IL
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

Tech blamed it on the weather = idiotic tech

641076.png

#13 OFFLINE   Davidoo

Davidoo

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPhoenix
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

Yes, an idiot tech.  These cars should get way more mileage out of the brakes than others due to the regenerative braking.  As I said before, I traded my 2011 Fusion hybrid for the 2017 FFE.  I had just a few miles short of 100,000 miles and the brakes had never been touched.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·