Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Cracked Moonroof - End to End

eisenbri

Ford Fusion Energi 2017: Anybody else suffer this? Got into my car the other day and the moonroof had a crack weaving the full width of the moonroof from one end to the other. No obvious impact point and for a piece of glass to crack all the way from left to right, the impact had to be pretty massive. And it would have had to come straight down from the sky to do this damage.  I would expect to see a large "bullet hole," (figuratively) at the impact point. Seemed pretty much like a faulty piece of glass to me. 

Took it to Ford and they drew a line in it with a pen and said they found the impact point. You would need a magnifying glass to see what Ford service was referring to. Half the size of the point of a pen. I asked him how something could come out of the sky, crack the entire moonroof yet make such a infinitesimal impact point? He shrugged and said he wasn't sure if it would be covered by warranty since there is an impact point but it would be up to Ford Corporate. I almost laughed out loud. I mean, it just isn't possible that this super tiny pin-point, did this damage. We've all been in cars that have been hit by a rock propelled by a car tire in front of us at 60mph and it doesn't do this much damage. But it does leaves a significant impact point. What as the surface after of this object?

Well, I got a call from Ford Corporate saying they deny this is covered under warranty???? I ask why and they say because there is an "obvious" impact point. Obvious! I ask him what could have fallen out of the sky to make such a small impact point but do damage across the entire piece of glass? He said he couldn't tell me but I could go back to the dealer to ask them (not sure to what end). I let him know this was not at all satisfactory because it just doesn't make physical sense and there had to be a weakness in the glass. To which he once again referred me to the dealership. I told him I wanted to speak to someone above him because I wasn't satisfied with this response and he once again said I would have to go back to the dealership. So the dealership told me Corporate would make the warranty decision and Corporate keeps referring me back to the dealership. 

Of course I got my "dealership survey" reminder in my email today to rate their service. 

If you experienced same or have any advice here I would greatly appreciate it. 

post-2876-0-70218300-1501340556_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

I have the 2017 Energi also.  That is beside the point though.  I've had cars with moon roofs for years and many times rocks from the road have hit not only hit my windshield, but my roof and glass moon roof as well.  I always use touch up paint on the front half of the roof of the car from rock chips. I live in Arizona where it seems we just have a lot of loose rocks on the road.  I've also heard them hit the moon roof.  Although I'm not saying I completely support Ford on what happened to you, it is very unlikely this glass just broke on its own.  It is easily possible a rock from a passing vehicle or the road flipped up and caused this.  And in that case, it should be covered by the comprehensive coverage of your insurance, just like the other glass in your car.