Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Where is the TCU modem located?

danielmcross

Hi All,

Like a lot of you My Ford Mobile quit working for us two weeks ago. MFM has been working fine every since the modem replacement was done back in February 2016. It can't be a coincidence that AT&T is shutting down its 2G networks and now MFM has stopped working for a lot of MFM customers.

I have a theory that when the dealer replaced the modem they took out the original 2G modem and put in another 2G modem. From talking to the service manager he did say that the way that program was carried out was highly disorganized and the techs have no idea if the replacement modems they were receiving were the new ones or just another 2G. Currently my system inforamation is showing the CPPM ENS is "UNKNOWN" so either the TCU has failed or there's no one answering its call perhaps because it's trying to phone home on a frequency where no one is listening anymore.

I am trying to find the TCU/modem in our 2016 C-Max Energi but its location seems to be a well guarded secret. Pretty sure it is in the rear of the car some place but so far I've pulled ever panel and not seeing anything that looks like what I need. I did find the keyless entry model in the rear behind a panel on the left side of the interior but I don't think that is also the TCU?

Does anyone know where the TCU is and what it looks like?

• 7 months later...

The part is a black plastic box about the size of the palm of your hand. It has part numbers and serial numbers clearly visible on it.

In the Fusion Energi the location of the modem in the car was under the flat area under the rear window behind the back seats. Quite difficult to figure out how to remove that top panel to see the part. The location is likely different in your CMax though.

I had something similar happen in my Fusion 2014 energi.  Modem stopped working in January 2018 in Vancouver.

Because I find it hard to believe that an electronic part like this would just fail after 3.5 years, I started researching online and found messages like this.  In some cases the modem replacement service on bulletin 15N04 was not actually performed. I'd taken mine in last year, I think, to have that service done where they'd replace the modem with a 3G version.  Service was apparently completed.

According to the 15N04 service bulletin here:  https://ford.oemdtc.com/2653/15n04-embedded-modem-replacement-2012-2016-ford-2015-lincoln

Your TCU modem should have part number GM5Z-14G229-BD.  If it does not, your modem was not replaced correctly.

I was able to verify that the modem in my car, after this service bulletin was completed, is in fact NOT the correct part.

Hi All,

Like a lot of you My Ford Mobile quit working for us two weeks ago. MFM has been working fine every since the modem replacement was done back in February 2016. It can't be a coincidence that AT&T is shutting down its 2G networks and now MFM has stopped working for a lot of MFM customers.

I have a theory that when the dealer replaced the modem they took out the original 2G modem and put in another 2G modem. From talking to the service manager he did say that the way that program was carried out was highly disorganized and the techs have no idea if the replacement modems they were receiving were the new ones or just another 2G. Currently my system inforamation is showing the CPPM ENS is "UNKNOWN" so either the TCU has failed or there's no one answering its call perhaps because it's trying to phone home on a frequency where no one is listening anymore.

I am trying to find the TCU/modem in our 2016 C-Max Energi but its location seems to be a well guarded secret. Pretty sure it is in the rear of the car some place but so far I've pulled ever panel and not seeing anything that looks like what I need. I did find the keyless entry model in the rear behind a panel on the left side of the interior but I don't think that is also the TCU?

Does anyone know where the TCU is and what it looks like?

• 2 years later...