Ford Fusion Energi Forum

12 volt battery draining.

Iflyasa

My car has been showing "battery save" mode. I couldn't start my car. Pressing the start button did nothing. After 5 minutes of nothing it finally came on. The check engine light came on as well. So the past few drives it keeps showing battery save mode when I start it. It sat for 3 days and the check engine went off as well as the battery save mode. I went to Autozone and they tested the 12v. Said the battery was good but needed charging. 2 weeks prior I drove 13 hours on a road trip. There is no reason it's not getting charged, or any reason it's draining when not in use.

I took it to the dealer here in Dallas. They said it needed charging as well. They charged it all night, then drove it the following day. They did confirm the battery was draining. The techs don't know why. So now they are waiting on the Ford engineers to get answers.

Has anybody experienced this?

My car has been showing "battery save" mode. I couldn't start my car. Pressing the start button did nothing. After 5 minutes of nothing it finally came on. The check engine light came on as well. So the past few drives it keeps showing battery save mode when I start it. It sat for 3 days and the check engine went off as well as the battery save mode. I went to Autozone and they tested the 12v. Said the battery was good but needed charging. 2 weeks prior I drove 13 hours on a road trip. There is no reason it's not getting charged, or any reason it's draining when not in use.

I took it to the dealer here in Dallas. They said it needed charging as well. They charged it all night, then drove it the following day. They did confirm the battery was draining. The techs don't know why. So now they are waiting on the Ford engineers to get answers.

Has anybody experienced this?

There's several threads on the 12volt battery drain issue which I have experienced myself.

There are NUMEROUS software updates that came out for my 2017 after it left the factory, most of which were for battery drain issues. Also, the factory 12volt battery for the early 2017's was defective, as documented on these forums. 

Stress to your dealer to install all available software updates and try to get them to replace the 12volt battery, if your's was made early in the 2017 production year or you'll just be back to the dealer in short order. 

There's several threads on the 12volt battery drain issue which I have experienced myself.

There are NUMEROUS software updates that came out for my 2017 after it left the factory, most of which were for battery drain issues. Also, the factory 12volt battery for the early 2017's was defective, as documented on these forums.

Stress to your dealer to install all available software updates and try to get them to replace the 12volt battery, if your's was made early in the 2017 production year or you'll just be back to the dealer in short order.

I bought a 7watt solar trickle charger and it's stuck to the inside of the windshield and connected to the cigarette lighter. I leave my car outside for up to two weeks at a time. With one week it's hit and miss as to whether it has enough power to open the door, depends how hot it's been. After two weeks it's always dead.

I look forward to the first long trip test to see of the trickle charge works. Hopefully the cigarette lighter doesn't shut down when the door is locked (or opened to leave, with the stereo going off) - I have not idea, didn't check.

I guess I'll see - it was only $19

I bought a 7watt solar trickle charger and it's stuck to the inside of the windshield and connected to the cigarette lighter. I leave my car outside for up to two weeks at a time. With one week it's hit and miss as to whether it has enough power to open the door, depends how hot it's been. After two weeks it's always dead.

I look forward to the first long trip test to see of the trickle charge works. Hopefully the cigarette lighter doesn't shut down when the door is locked (or opened to leave, with the stereo going off) - I have not idea, didn't check.

I guess I'll see - it was only $19

All three power ports shut down 70 minutes after the car is turned off.  You can't charge the battery that way.  Connect it to the jumper points under the hood.  Put a 1 ampere fuse in series with the connection close to the jumper points in case your added wiring gets shorted to ground.

The positive jumper point is directly in front of the driver's seat under a red plastic flexible cover.  The negative (ground) jumper point is directly behind the positive jumper point and is a long bolt sticking up out of the shock absorber tower.

Wow thanks for the info. They did do software updates yesterday. I assume that's the updates you mentioned. However I did know they didn't replace the battery. I believe this car was sold new around the fall in 2016.

Your's could have been manufactured after mine, then. Those made after April 2016, from what I recall, have a different model of 12volt battery and weren't faulty.  

• 1 month later...

You do not need to keep it plugged in to the HVB charger.  The HVB will not lose any energy, other than minimal self discharge, since it is completely disconnected by contactors when the car is off.

You do need a smart battery charger (a charger plus a maintainer in the same package) connected to the 12 volt battery terminals under the hood to keep the 12 volt battery from being discharged.

When the car is off all power comes from the 12 volt battery.

When the supplied EVSE is used to charge the HVB it is also used to charge the 12 volt battery after it finishes charging the HVB.  Once that finishes it will not charge the 12 volt battery again unless another HVB charge cycle happens.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this question, forgive me if it's been covered....

I have a ’14 FFE and I’m having a few issues that I’m hoping someone here can help with….

Drove today from Vancouver BC to Puyallup, WA. We stopped at the border and when we came back out, the key FOB would not open the doors, had to use the actual key.  Then the car BARELY started. As we pulled onto i5 (freezing rain) the EV battery showed 5 miles but the selector button would not allow EV Now or EV later options. 

As we continued, the car felt like it was going to stall.  Got up to 60mph but it would not accelerate beyond that.  Pushing the accelerator did nothing.

Finally, after about 10 minutes, all appeared ‘normal.’  But, as we drove the next 150 miles, it never went into battery only mode.  The engine ran constantly the entire time, even when going downhill with the climate controls off.

Also during this same trip, the dash gave a warning that the Navigation SD card was in need of changing, the Bluetooth for music stopped as did the USB charge ports.

Again, everything mentioned above worked just peachy on our way to BC.  One note, my daughter who uses this as her daily driver told me the same thing with the inoperable key FOB approx. 1 month ago.’

Is this all attributed to a bad 12v battery?

We bought this car about 3 months ago from a Titus-Will Ford in Tacoma.  It was a lease return (from CA) with 38k.I have a ’14 FFE and I’m having a few issues that I’m hoping someone here can help with….

Edited by Puyallupjeff