Ford Fusion Energi Forum

use a 150 watt plug-in heater

Sweeeeds

I searched but didn't see this addressed. To lessen battery drain would it be better to use a tiny plug-in heater (linked below)? Have it in the bottom tray pointed at your feet (only the driver in the car). 

I couldn't find the numbers on the Energi's heater element power draw. If you know, please compare it to the 150 watt plug-in heater. Mucho thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Gentman-Portable-Vehicle-Defroster-Demister/dp/B07631L4SW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509636854&sr=8-3&keywords=portable+heater+for+car

Bear in mind, if you think you're going to cruise around using only that 150w heater, you need to realize that your car will fog up something fierce if you're not bringing in fresh air.  And that little 150w isn't going to keep you warm with the window cracked either.

I sometimes will turn recirculate on when running the heater, especially when first hopping in, at least right up until the windows start fogging, then I turn off recirculate and let it run as normal.

You're more than welcome to try it; it's only a 13 dollar investment from what the price says.

Thanks for the info! I think pointing that little heater at my feet, with the window cracked, may work well. Going to buy that $12 heater and experiment and report back.

I'm in Atlanta--mild winter--and my car gets warmed up in the garage while plugged in, so I just need a little something on my feet.

• 1 year later...

What I plan on doing next winter is the following:

- Wiring up a power cutoff circuit with settable low / high voltage 
- Will be connected to a 100A relay, which will be connected directly to the 12v battery then

- To a 1KW inverter
- Which I plug in 2x 250W 120v AC Space heaters that will sit under the front seats