Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

MFT Black Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Timewellspent

Timewellspent

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 262 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

I have a 2015 FFE that is out of warranty that now has the MFT screen doing multiple reboots before it just goes to the black screen of death.  This leaves me without radio, seat heaters or steering wheel heat.  I see this was a common issue with previous years and Ford extended the warranty on the APIM with Customer Satisfaction Program 12M02.  Of course this doesn't cover my vehicle year when I asked my dealer about it.  I was told this car does not have the old style apim computer so it does not have extension. You more then likely need a software update.

My question is even if my car doesn't have this old style APIM it is doing the exact same thing that the old APIM did per this thread : http://fordcmaxenerg...een-goes-black/  Do you think a software update would fix this since the old APIM needed to be replaced when people had this same issue?  I don't want to pay for a software update that isn't going to fix the problem.

-DK

409947.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Angelam2426

Angelam2426

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

I have Energi 2015 and have the exact same problem. I took mine to dealer to push the 3.8 update (I have 3.7) and they said the APIM is shot and cant be updated. Almost $1000 to replace at dealer. This happened about a month ago & im wondering if eventually there will be enough reported that they will relook at an extended warranty on this one too.

#3 OFFLINE   Timewellspent

Timewellspent

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 262 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

I called Ford and complained, but it went no where.  Had to replace the APIM, but the dealer stepped up and paid a portion of the cost as goodwill.  They said if Ford ends up including our year, they would reimburse me the fee I paid.  How many miles do you have on yours?

409947.png

#4 OFFLINE   Angelam2426

Angelam2426

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

I've got 42K on mine.

#5 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 107 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

$1000 to replace the APIM? Might as well buy an OBDLink MX programming tool and search junk yards and Ebay for Sync3 APIMs+screens. You'll still be ahead while having a much more modern car with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

I spent about $750 per car to upgrade my '15 Escape and the '13 Fusion Hybrid I traded for my Energi, to Sync3 with navigation including GPS antennas and fast-charging USB hubs. Go to the 2gfusions forum and speak to DanMc85 for advice on reprogramming the Sync3 kits to properly work with your car. All you need is the OBDLink tool and a laptop running Windows with built-in Bluetooth (or a Bluetooth adapter).

• jsamp likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Flips

Flips

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVentura
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

Just adding another data point :(
I experienced the black screen of death. Dealer said they can try to reflash and update. Got the call that the APIM needs to get replaced on my 2015.

Not sure I want to pay ~$1100 but don’t know what else to do.

#7 OFFLINE   Timewellspent

Timewellspent

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 262 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

Make sure you call Ford and mention Customer Satisfaction Program 12M02 and let them know you know of others having this same issues on the 2015 and say this program should be extend to cover the 2015 since it is the same exact problem.  If enough of us point this out maybe they will actually add our year.

• Flips likes this

409947.png

#8 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

Just adding another data point :(
I experienced the black screen of death. Dealer said they can try to reflash and update. Got the call that the APIM needs to get replaced on my 2015.

Not sure I want to pay ~$1100 but don’t know what else to do.

$1100 can buy you a Sync3 upgrade and still leave you at least $300 to spend on other things :)

PM me if you want to go that route - it'll feel like driving a whole new car haha.

Additionally you can probably find a MFT APIM (without screen) for less than $200 on Ebay, and reprogram it in Forscan (heck reprogramming may not even be necessary if the donor vehicle is a similarly equipped Fusion), if you're too cheap to go for Sync3 but want to do an APIM replacement. The "programming" is much simpler than it sounds and isn't actually "coding".

Edited by 4cylinder, 14 February 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Flips

Flips

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVentura

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

Make sure you call Ford and mention Customer Satisfaction Program 12M02 and let them know you know of others having this same issues on the 2015 and say this program should be extend to cover the 2015 since it is the same exact problem. If enough of us point this out maybe they will actually add our year.

#10 OFFLINE   Flips

Flips

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVentura

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

Will do.
My dealer called me back today and #ford is stepping up. I just need to pay $100 deductible and they’re gonna replace the APIM.
  • Timewellspent likes this

#11 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

Glad it worked out! Definitely cheaper than even a DIY APIM swap.

#12 OFFLINE   Dspeed3

Dspeed3

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationTX

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

I have a similar problem with my 2016. The radio comes on then crashes. It usually does this about 3 times before going black.

#13 OFFLINE   Chich

Chich

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationAZ
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:32 AM

I called Ford and complained, but it went no where.  Had to replace the APIM, but the dealer stepped up and paid a portion of the cost as goodwill.  They said if Ford ends up including our year, they would reimburse me the fee I paid.  How many miles do you have on yours?

Mine is a 2016 - with 40K and it went out - dealer is wants $1400 to replace - having a hard time with a 2yr old car - 

#14 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPeoria, IL
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:21 AM

Mine is a 2016 - with 40K and it went out - dealer is wants $1400 to replace - having a hard time with a 2yr old car - 

That's exactly why, for the first time ever, I bought the extended warranty.  6 years, 100,000 miles for.... $1400.

Edited by muzicman61, 29 April 2018 - 06:22 AM.

641076.png

#15 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:02 AM

PM me if you want a tutorial on how to do a DIY replacement. It's very easy to reprogram replacement parts. 

If you want to stick with MyFord Touch it will set you back about $200 or so - less if you only need to do the APIM and not the screen. Reprogramming is basically no work in this case because you just copy and paste your as-built data over.

If you want to upgrade to Sync3 it will be a bit more expensive, about $700+ (screen + APIM), but well worth it. Reprogramming is little more complex as you can't just reuse as-built data but I know people who can help.

Edited by 4cylinder, 29 April 2018 - 07:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·