Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Hello Everyone. New Energi owner here.

Riggs

Just picked up a 2018 Shadow Black Fusion Energi 2 weeks ago. I love the car inside and out!! I live near Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. 

I was just looking into purchasing a level 2 charger and came across this forum, which is fantastic!! 

Not sure if I can ask questions about buying the most useful charger in this post, so sorry if this is wrong. 

Is buying a 30 amp charger no better than a 20 amp as the Fusion will only take so many amps itself?

The maximum charge current the Energi can handle is 16 amps at 240 volts.  It would be connected to a 240 volt 20 amp circuit in the USA.  The USA has an 80% continuous duty rule.  I have heard that Canada recently went to a 70% continuous duty rule.  That might mean the car has to use a 240 volt 25 amp circuit in Canada to get the maximum current.

You can use a larger EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) if you want.  The car and the EVSE communicate with each other to determine what the maximum current will be.

If you have any plans to get a car in the future that uses a higher charge current you might want want to future proof for that purchase by getting a higher current EVSE now.  A higher capability EVSE will have no effect on the charge time for an Energi.