Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Boosting performance (speed, cornering) on my Fusion??!

labelboy68

Thanks for your help jsamp, really.  The Tesla is:

a.  Way more expensive

b.  Shoddy workmanship-  owners report rattling noises, etc...  I think Telsa needs a bit more experience with fit and finish in automaking and they are trying to crank out too many vehicles with too little experience.

So, any thoughts??

This car does so much thinking, like when and how to combine the powerplants for maximum power, it seems that unless one knows the inputs to those decisions, it'd be hard to predict what any performance changes would do. Combine that with Performance engineers expecting low demand for performance upgrades from owners of vehicles with Atkinson engines, and we're probably last on their radar.

Pump up the tires beyond 35 psi for at least the feel of more sportiness? That doesn't address your desire for more power, but that's all I recall seeing on this forum.

I guess you haven't been seduced by the attraction of smooth driving for better mileage? The weight of this car rewards you with extra smoothness.

Edited by jj2me

Thanks for your help jsamp, really.  The Tesla is:

a.  Way more expensive

b.  Shoddy workmanship-  owners report rattling noises, etc...  I think Telsa needs a bit more experience with fit and finish in automaking and they are trying to crank out too many vehicles with too little experience.

So, any thoughts??

My response was tongue-in-cheek with a dose of reality.  In order to get what you want out of a Fusion Energi, you're going to have to spend more than what you would have on a Tesla to begin with.  You can't just "do some mods" to a car like the Energi and find a surprise boost of power.  Any changes you make to the engine are going to have to have a corresponding change to the programming of the CVT.  Unless you are a really good programmer with a deep knowledge of automotive powertrains, that's not going to happen.  Since that would also void any warranty, very few would buy such a system even if it were "drop-in".  Which means no company will develop such a system because there would be no way to make money on it in such low volumes.

In the end, what you are asking for doesn't exist for the Energi.  If you want performance like your M45 with a carpool sticker, you will need a high end EV or PHEV.  If Tesla products are not quality enough, then maybe a BMW will work for you, but you're still going to pay a lot for it.

That's the long winded version of my earlier post.

• 4 weeks later...

...also, try replacing the brake lines with STEEDA stainless steel brake lines.  If you're mechanically handy this is a DIY and the new lines give significantly more precision "feel" to braking.

Yet another tip: once his OEM LRR tires wore out my son put Michelin Defenders on his Energi, and THAT certainly made a notable positive difference both in comfort and in handling, while the Defenders have a 90,000 mile life to boot as a very nice bonus.

Try a half-shafted Fusion Energi throttle body from Cordova Motor Sports. My son and I have them on our two Energis, and they helped... not tremendously, but a li'l.  Easy bolt-on mod that'll pay back for the life of the car.

Best!

After reading the above post, I looked into the Cordova Motor Sports throttle bodies.  I couldn't find one for the Energi.  However after contacting them, I learned that the Energi uses the same throttle body as the 2.5L Duratec engine on the standard Fusion.  So by association there IS a modified part that will work on the Energi.  You just have to know what to ask for.  So for $189 you can buy this and gain ~4-6 HP.  Not sure it's worth it, but good to know.

Thanks FusionDad!