Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

What's your next car?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your next car? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you buying as your next car after the Fusion Energi?

1. Another Fusion Energi (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. Another Ford EV (C-Max Energi or Focus Electric) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Nissan Leaf (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. BMW i3 (or i8) (1 votes [7.69%])

5. Nissan Leaf (1 votes [7.69%])

6. Tesla (Model S, 3, or X) (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

7. Other BEV (1 votes [7.69%])

8. Other PHEV (0 votes [0.00%])

9. I'm going back to a gasser (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 208 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationSE WI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

Well folks,

My Ford EV journey is over - Car went back to the dealer.

When I first picked up my Fusion Energi, I loved it right away. I picked up an Edge a couple months later, and I was hoping that when their leases expired, I'd be able to buy a Fusion Electric and an Edge Energi. The engineering on the Fusion Energi was fantastic, and I figured we'd be seeing a lot more EVs from Ford by now.

Well, not so much. Ford doesn't offer any more EVs now than they did way back in 2013, and the ones they do offer have had only the smallest of incremental improvements - Really no improvements to the EV drivetrains.

So, the Fusion Energi will go down in history as my "gateway drug," the car that showed me how awesome electric driving could be, from the manufacturer that didn't learn the lesson its own car taught.

I've been shopping for the next car for a while, and Ford's offerings (mainly the C-Max Energi and the Focus Electric) were way down the list - They're just not competing with the offerings from other OEMs. The Volt has always had better electric range than the Fusion Energi, and it's gotten significantly better. The Bolt is still a bit hard to get here in the midwest, but my brother has one and loves it. The Leaf can be had very cheap on the used market, but it's kinda ugly. I'm not a particular fan of the i3's looks, but my wife likes it. All of them have better cargo room than the Energi models. 

I managed to get a screaming deal on a BMW i3 (BEV, not REx) that'll replace the Fusion as my daily commuter, at least for the next year (lease takeover). When the Edge goes back at the end of January, it'll likely be replaced by a used Tesla, or possibly a Volt.

What did you or will you buy after the Fusion Energi? 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jj2me

jj2me

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 55 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

Only had my FFE for 6 months, but (hopefully after 7 or 10 trouble-free years) I'll be looking first and foremost for something of substantial size and safety, like the FFE. I've yet to see anyone here mentioning those factors. No Bolt or the like for me. I need to balance out my probabilities against driving an old Alfa Romeo and a motorcycle.

#3 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:13 AM

I still have my 2013 Energi for trips to the grocery store, the doctor and dentist, and Lowe's which are all less than 20 miles round trip.  I put about 1 gallon of gas in it per year.  I also expected that Ford would have something better by 2017.

I have a 2016 Tesla model S90D for destinations farther than 10 miles away.

• flyingcheesehead likes this

#4 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 151 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

Since I just got my Energi, replacing is several years away.  That's a good thing for Ford because it will give them a chance to get their hind ends in gear on a long range EV.  If I were to have to replace it today, there is no way it would be with a Ford product.  Maybe in a few years though.  So I chose "other BEV".

If I have to replace the wife's Escape Hybrid, it would likely be the upcoming Escape PHEV because she loves the SUVish experience.

Edited by jsamp, 06 December 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   openair

openair

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 480 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOntario
  • Current Vehicle:2014 fusion energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2014

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

After driving an F150 for almost 10 years my experiences with this vehicle for the past 3 years has killed ford for me.  Has also killed any gas vehicle built in the past 5 years or any PHEV.  They're so complicated to squeeze every last MPG they can get that when they no longer get that fuel economy or something intermittent occurs they have no idea where to even start.  My next vehicle will be a BEV of some sort.  Possibly a 60kw 2019 Leaf so i voted Leaf (twice, as its on the list twice ;)).

Edited by openair, 04 December 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 65 posts
  • LocationPeoria, IL
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:27 AM

i will probably only buy one more new car in my lifetime.  .That will be when i retire in about 6 years.  I'm hoping that technology keeps getting better and better and Ford will release a Energi version of the Escape.  

641076.png

#7 OFFLINE   jj2me

jj2me

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:05 AM

Possibly a 60kw 2019 Leaf so i voted Leaf...

I'm curious why anyone knowledgeable like yourself would want a Leaf with its inadequate cooling. Worse than the Energi's, but with a higher C value.

#8 OFFLINE   openair

openair

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 480 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOntario
  • Current Vehicle:2014 fusion energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2014

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

I'm curious why anyone knowledgeable like yourself would want a Leaf with its inadequate cooling. Worse than the Energi's, but with a higher C value.

The 60kw version is rumoured to have a thermal management system. 160km round trip commute means nothing short of 60kw will make the trip reliably in the winter. The bolt's seats are too narrow. The lack of instruments in front of the driver, long waiting list and no local stores push the model 3 down the list.

A local Nissan dealership will be holding onto a Leaf for test drives so I hope to drive my commute with the tester to see exactly how much the battery heats up and whether some self control will be adequate or if the rumoured thermal management system would be required. Also the leaf with all its buttons and instruments is a stark contrast to the model 3 that fits my personality better.
  • jj2me likes this

#9 OFFLINE   jj2me

jj2me

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

So I was right, you are knowledgeable!

Seriously, thanks for that rundown. More info in that post than all the stories and tests I've read concerning the new Leaf.

#10 OFFLINE   Russael

Russael

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:1999 EB 4x4 Expedition, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

I definitely want a BEV of some sort, but I also want one that has a charging infrastructure in place.  So far, only Tesla has that.  They're also the only domestic auto maker that offers AWD on their vehicles (a must in winter... but then again, I do have the 4wd Expedition, but it is on the table of selling it).  Every BEV/Hybrid domestically is FWD only, unless you want a used Hybrid Escape.  The other option is getting a 2WD BEV and keeping the truck around just for winter... which is kind of what I'm doing right now anyway.

Some beefs I have with Tesla is they won't support a person who fixes their own cars.  There's a guy on YouTube who bought several salvage Model S cars (flooded/wrecked, etc), and built a fully working one.  Total investment?  6500 bucks.  However, because he went the do it yourself route, he has zero support.  He can't get the Tesla app going, and when he called Tesla themselves, as soon as they looked up the VIN of his car, they instantly closed down and said, "Sorry, we can't help you.  Anything else?"  So it seems like even post warranty, you'll be stuck dealing solely with Tesla.  Be nice if they had a monthly warranty plan or something.

So... I'm voting Tesla.  Aside from that one gripe, I do like the company, their vision, etc.  And their warranty support is excellent.  It'll be a looooong time before I can afford one though.  I'd be inclined to keep the Fusion if an upgraded battery comes about in say, 10 years.

• flyingcheesehead likes this

I am The White Fury in Region 5 on MyFord Mobile.

#11 OFFLINE   meyersnole

meyersnole

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid Plug-In Titanium

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

Not going to register a vote because I too am still happy with my 2013 and plan to keep driving it for quite some time. If I were to go looking today I would be disappointed that the car is not significantly different, while more refined, than the one I purchased way back in early 2013. I would be much more interested in a BEV than I was when I purchased this car both understanding how much range I really need and the availability of much bigger battery BEVs.

Given I did not put a deposit down on a model 3 that would be an unrealistic choice, but I would consider a used model S. 

I also like the functionality/range of the Bolt and it gets great reviews. The new Volt looks better than the first gen but I have not sat in one yet, I was simply uncomfortable in the original one and it had horrible sight lines. Maybe they fixed those complaints?

I have had 2 BMWs in the past and am a bit soured on the brand, not sure the i3 would change that and they are in a major recall right now anyway. 

Other cars that would be on my investigate list would be the VW eGolf and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV (Think I want a travel car next and while I don't like the look of the car it reviews well) or if it actually ever really gets here the Mitsubishi Outlander. 

White Platinum 2013 Titanium Fusion Hybrid Plug-In

296525.png

#12 OFFLINE   PJFW8

PJFW8

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 26 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:35 AM

I replaced my 2013 C-Max Energi with a 2016 Fusion Energi. These are great cars, They made me hate it when the gas engine came on. I have a first day reservation Tesla Model 3 coming to replace the Energi. There are no good other options that meet my needs.  I always buy Ford but Ford's EV is years away, at best. By the way, My Tesla ETA for rear wheel drive is January -March 2018. I am holding out for AWD which will delay me until fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·