Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Terrible moaning sound when braking in reverse

muzicman61

I have a 2017 FFE with about 20,000 miles.  The last week has been bitter cold here in the Midwest.  I have recently heard a terrible high pitched moaning sound when braking.  At first it seamed like it only happened the first thing in the morning.  As i would back out of my garage down my slanted driveway. But the last couple days it also happened when backing out of my parking spot at work when going to lunch.  It seems it only happens when braking in reverse.  Never once when braking forward.  I have an appointment with the dealership next Friday but was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks,

Rob

That makes sense and is probably what the dealership will tell me.  Just odd that in 10 years my 2007 Focus never had this problem.  And certainly my FFE has gotten wet in the past 6 months I've owned it and never had this problem before.  Also the fact it only does it in reverse seems pretty odd.

That makes sense and is probably what the dealership will tell me.  Just odd that in 10 years my 2007 Focus never had this problem.  And certainly my FFE has gotten wet in the past 6 months I've owned it and never had this problem before.  Also the fact it only does it in reverse seems pretty odd.

There is one thing unique about reverse.  It is not possible for the engine to move the car in reverse.  Reverse is only done with an electric motor.

• 2 years later...

Just for posterity there is a TSB about this. I think 46840.

Some 2017 Fusion Energi Plug-In Hybrid and MKZ Hybrid vehicles built on or before 20-Apr-2017 may exhibit a brake moan noise from the rear when backing up on the first application in the morning. To resolve this concern, replace the rear brake pads with a new brake pad kit part number DG9Z-2200-R. The brake pad kit contains a unique grease packet which must be used in conjunction with the new brake pads to resolve the concern. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-00 for installation. For claiming, use causal part 2200 and applicable labor operations in section 2 of the service labor time standards (SLTS) manual.