Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Guide: Sync3 and/or FCIM upgrades for pre-2017 models

4cylinder

For those who anticipate they'll keep their Energis for a while and hate MyFord Touch:

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881

Owners of vehicles with Active Park Assist may also want to do this alongside a Sync3 upgrade (it will require you to spend at least $200 on a separate tool):

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=6712

The most straightforward way to obtain a Sync3 kit is to send your VIN to 4dtech or infotainment.com, and they'll pre-program it for you and have it be plug-and-play. However, it's extremely expensive - $1600 for a non-nav and $2100 for a nav unit.

Instead, I recommend getting an OBDLink MX Bluetooth programming tool, and researching ebay and junkyards for the best deal, then programming the unit yourself via ForScan (DanMc85 of the forum can assist). I personally upgraded two vehicles to Sync3 at about $700 per vehicle including the new high-current USB hubs. You can go as low as $300-$400 if you opt for a non-navigation model - I recently helped a friend upgrade an Ecoboost Fusion for just $450 that way. After all Android Auto and Apple Carplay already simulate built-in nav quite well.

The donor vehicle doesn't necessarily have to be a Fusion - I've confirmed that the Focus, Escape, Mustang, and C-Max use APIMs with compatible frames (the brackets do need to be replaced, but the holes line up exactly the same way, and your existing MFT will have brackets for you to reuse). I believe the equivalent Lincoln models (MKC, MKZ, etc) should also be appropriate donor vehicles.

Note: The new USB hub is not strictly necessary unless you want to use Apple Carplay (Android Auto will be fine) but I still recommend it just for the faster charging.

The same guide I linked at the beginning also shows you how to remove and replace the FCIM (the panel with the climate control and volume buttons) for one from a 2016 Fusion. You do not need to buy the Sync3 kit if you only want to replace the panel, and vice versa. I highly recommend at least doing the panel swap - it's about $100 on average and will make the car far more pleasant to use. 2013-2015 Titanium models will also gain physical buttons for heated/cooled seats in the process.