Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Used 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

mattheo0118

All,

I've been neogiating for a 2017 FFE Titanium with 8,000 miles, it has cooled seats, moonroof, upgraded wheels and the driver's assist package. It has everything I wanted in a new FFE. 

For the one described above, the final price they're giving me is 20,970+TTL

Is this price good?

OR

I can get a new one for 32,000 + I get the federal tax credit, California rebate and a 500 student rebate.

What do you think? Should I keep going and playing hard ball for the used FFE? I want to pay 20k even for it.

Thanks!

When I was looking at used FFE's I notice the typical price difference between cars varied about $100 for every 1000 miles on the odometer (all other things the same).  So every 10K miles dropped the price by $1K.  If you use that alone to compare the used to the new, even with the rebates, the used is a better deal.  Factor in that the instant depreciation when you drive a new one off the lot, and the used looks even better.

That's not to say you can't negotiate a better deal than 20,970.  But don't count on getting too far with such low mileage.

My 2¢

That's a great price for a used 2017 Titanium with only 8K miles, especially if it's loaded (I particularly like adaptive cruise and the heated steering wheel and seats, as well as all those sensors that warn me of approaching cars when I back out of a parking space from between two SUVs).  You'll set the new record for lowest priced reported here for a Titanium FFE. Last summer in some locations Titanium FFEs (don't remember the options on them) went for as low as $24K, then I think a little later someone here posted that they got theirs for $23K.  Maybe recently someone posted $22K? I'm not sure.  

If the new one doesn't have the same options, you've got to figure how much they're worth to you.  I sorta like that mine is loaded with everything, inasmuch as I don't wonder whether I'm missing some useful option.

You can buy a Ford extended warranty (add $300 for all the extras) with the savings and still come out ahead.  If it was a fleet car (very common among 2017 loaded Titaniums, especially the White Platinum Metallic ones), all the better, as it's been reported that fleet car owners generally don't charge their cars, which results in almost zero battery degradation.  If it's a private owner car and from a hot area like Sacramento, it might have battery degradation.  If the dealer allows an extended test drive, you can test for battery degradation by charging to 100%, reset Trip 2 odometer, drive at moderate speeds (40 mph or less) in EV mode until the charge is depleted and the ICE comes on, pull over immediately, shut off the vehicle, and look on the left display to see how many kWh were used (and miles traveled).  In mild weather, a new car should show 5.5 or 5.6 kWh.

Edited by jj2me

I got my Titanium with 7800 miles for $22,998 and it was fully loaded minus the cooled seats. 

I'd say you have an excellent deal with the used car. Even if you pay a little extra to get the Ford ESP, you're still well ahead.

Btw, I would also look for used Energis that have the adaptive cruise control even if you have to pay a little more - it's a very useful feature and you won't regret having it.

Of course, if you do buy a brand new one, that will later help create some supply for cheapskates like me :P

Edited by 4cylinder

I've never been one to recommend buying new.  Let someone else take that depreciation drive off the lot. 

That being said I'd look up your original window sticker.  Also check it's current value on KBB.  My 2017 was stickered at 43K with 7500 miles on it, fully loaded.  That was last June and i paid $23K.  Ball park I'd say the price is pretty decent.

I've never been one to recommend buying new.  Let someone else take that depreciation drive off the lot.

Haha, I have the same mentality (not just with cars - I buy second-hand game consoles, games, furniture, PC parts, power tools, etc), but at the same time, you gotta be wary of recommending this tactic too much - if too many people opt for this, then not enough people will be buying brand new stuff, and there won't be enough pre-owned deals to go around :D

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a used 2017 Fusion Energi Titanium with 14,000 miles on it in Nov. 2017.

It was a fleet car used 10 months. (sept 2016-July 2017)

It listed for $35,300. Has moonroof, nav and Ruby Red extras.

Also, it was Ford Certified Used.

I paid 19,985 with a $400 paper work fee.

Total 20,385.

Paid Cash.

It’s been great so far. Best decision I made. I sold my 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid with 108,000 miles on it and got $3000 more than I would have got on a trade.

New price for the exact same model was 29,900 and the wanted to steal my trade. So I saved $5600 + the 6% tax of $600+=$6200

I thought it was worth about $6000 to give up 14,000 miles.

So if I add the $3000 more I got for my cars, I saved $9000 cash.

Well worth what I did. It only took me 3 months to sell my old car which was in mint condition with no dings or mechanical problems. The buyer of my used hybrid was very happy. He has a F150 that guzzles.

Great second commute car. It was loaded with every option and everything works.

My net new cost was $24,500 with the tax credit + $1800 sale tax

My net buying used was $15,500. No tax credit and 14,000 miles + $1200 sales tax

All real numbers with a dealer I know and bought from before.

He couldn’t give me much for my trade because he was going to take it to the auction. They don’t sell cars with over 100,000 miles on them. So I was stuck to sell my used car.

The Fusion has warranty till Sept 2019 and also the Ford Certified coverage for 100,000 miles on power train and gas engine components, hybrid has 100,000 miles.

I did not purchase the extended warranty since most of the expensive stuff is covered for the 100,000 miles.

I’ll chance the Nav, and other components for now.

Oh, I also bought a second Ford EOM Charger used on EBay for $200. Works great I keep that one in the car and charge at work or on the go. Saves me even more, my commute is 19.3 miles each way and I can usually make in each way sometimes with 3 miles to spare. Might get more when it warms up.

post-3119-0-69882100-1519989784_thumb.jpeg

post-3119-0-76492400-1519989843_thumb.jpeg

post-3119-0-12580000-1519989872_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PA-Bucktail

I did not purchase the extended warranty since most of the expensive stuff is covered for the 100,000 miles.

I’ll chance the Nav, and other components for now.

The infotainment system is surprisingly cheap and easy to replace as a DIY job. In the event it does break, a DIY replacement will cost a few hundred bucks - way less than the cost of the ESP. I had the ESP for my 2013 Fusion hybrid that I traded in, and it wasn't very useful, which does reflect the car's mechanical reliability.

Congratulations and glad you got a similar deal to what I had. I also bought a fleet car (13 months old, 7800 miles) for just $22998 before trade-in.

When it warms up your range will improve for sure. During the arctic blast, I could only get about 15 miles per charge, but when it's above 10C/50F outside, I can get 25+ with careful driving (except on the freeway). My commute is 100% on suburban roads with traffic lights, so I have plenty of chances to restore a little charge with regenerative braking.

Edited by 4cylinder