Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Recall: steering wheel may end up in your lap

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pupk

pupk

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Platinum
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

Recall was just announced today involving the potential for the steering wheel to come loose.  I just tried to schedule service at the dealer, but they don't have any of the parts yet and apparently we have to wait for the official letter from Ford stating they're ready to make the repairs.

Until then, hold on tight to those wheels!

https://jalopnik.com...olns-1823762842

• jj2me likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 152 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

Hard to believe this issue has been around since 2014 and is just now coming to light.  Another screw loose behind the wheel!  :D

And love that video posted in the comments section of that article you linked.  The front fell off!!!  Not typical.  LOL

Edited by muzicman61, 14 March 2018 - 01:20 PM.

• jj2me likes this
641076.png

#3 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:58 AM

I noticed the recall showed up this morning on the Ford Pass app on my phone.  But not many details.

641076.png

#4 OFFLINE   Sandroad

Sandroad

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:33 PM

My '17 FFE VIN is covered by the steering recall. My dealer put me on a first come, first serve waiting list for the repair that will start AFTER the bolt arrives at the service department. They told me it would probably be April before the part arrived and then they would call me when my work order came up. I took the bottom cover off my steering column but couldn't see up into the steering wheel area for a bolt(s). There is a single bolt clamping a smooth collar to a smooth shaft down near the firewall and if it came loose there would be no steering, but I'm not sure that's the problem area since the recall says "wheel", not "shaft". Meanwhile, my wife and I wonder if our car is safe to drive or are we rolling the dice that the good folks in Hermosillo got our bolt tight?  

#5 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

If Ford would just get their act together on full autonomous tech, they could take the steering wheel out and not have to do these fixes! ;-)

#6 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:25 AM

The problem is that the steering wheel comes off of the steering shaft.  Avoid pulling the steering wheel toward you.  It is splined to the shaft so rotation force is not a problem.

• jeff_h, ctwomey, 4cylinder and 1 other like this

#7 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:19 AM

Ironically I traded in a 2013 Job 1 Hybrid for a 2017 Energi a short while ago... and the 2013 models are not part of this recall!

If it ain't broke, break it?

• jsamp likes this

#8 OFFLINE   kzoojason76

kzoojason76

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGrass Lake, MI
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

If it ain't broke, break it?

That's a Dave Brandon favorite saying!!

#9 OFFLINE   Sandroad

Sandroad

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 17 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:06 AM

I took my '17 FFE in for the steering bolt recall and on the way home from the dealership after the repair I noticed my audio system would not turn on and my navigation system was not working. So back it went (1-1/2 hour round trip to the dealer). They had it for 2 full days. They spent a lot of time assuming it was operator error and tried resetting everything multiple times. Eventually they figured out it was a fried audio/nav ECU and replaced it. All is now ok. Although they didn't tell me this, I wonder if the computer was blitzed by the steering wheel work. The airbag has to come out and the steering column has to be disassembled a bit to get at the steering wheel bolt. The 12V battery should be disconnected when all that happens. Perhaps the recall wasn't done quite right? Anyway, all's well that ends well and my FFE has a tight steering wheel and working electronics. I'm looking forward to spring weather and finally removing the winter tires! 

• 4cylinder and jj2me like this

#10 OFFLINE   jj2me

jj2me

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

Thank you for relating your experience.  I had optimistically scheduled my recall repair to be performed the day before a 10-hour drive.  I will now reschedule until after I return from the trip, based on the possibility of something happening similar to what you encountered.

#11 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:04 PM

Just booked an appointment for April 24. I'll be sure to tell them to disconnect the 12V when they do it...

#12 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

I contacted my dealer but apparently they are only fixing the vehicles on their lot first and won't be doing any customer recalls for about another month.  Thought that was pretty crappy.  I'm not in any hurry or afraid of my steering wheel coming off but still...

641076.png

#13 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

I contacted my dealer but apparently they are only fixing the vehicles on their lot first and won't be doing any customer recalls for about another month.  Thought that was pretty crappy.  I'm not in any hurry or afraid of my steering wheel coming off but still...

They are fixing the ones on the lot because they can't sell them until they are fixed.

• 4cylinder and jj2me like this

#14 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:40 AM

They are fixing the ones on the lot because they can't sell them until they are fixed.

Sure, I get that.  But I would still think they could fix a paid customer if they scheduled an appointment.  Unless Ford is not supplying enough parts to cover inventory and sold vehicles.

641076.png

#15 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:27 AM

Sure, I get that.  But I would still think they could fix a paid customer if they scheduled an appointment.  Unless Ford is not supplying enough parts to cover inventory and sold vehicles.

Did you receive a letter from Ford stating that parts are now available?  That has happened several months after the initial letter for every recall on my 2013.  There have been a lot of recalls on my 2013.

#16 OFFLINE   Timewellspent

Timewellspent

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:33 AM

I haven't received a letter, but my car was in for service last week and the recall was performed.

409947.png

#17 OFFLINE   skyagade

skyagade

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Energi SE

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

Didn't receive any letter, but wife mentioned she saw on news. I proceeded to call Ford to ask about details (i.e., if driving is okay (yes), reimburse for rental (no), etc.). They said I should contact dealer when I receive letter, probably near end of April. Well, I didn't want to wait until I received a letter, so late March, I called closest dealer (not purchase dealer), and was told they depleted recall parts the previous day, but they would call me when they received more. Well, they called yesterday and I scheduled appointment on April 24; they also said they need vehicle for 1/2 day. I will update this thread how (or in what condition/state) I pick-up. Not having a whole lot of confidence in this dealer since last time I took in for 12V battery replacement, I started to leave and noticed check engine light on; I returned and waited for service advisor to reset/clear OBD....I'm guessing disconnecting 12V battery triggered something in "black box"; otherwise everything functioning okay (although I don't have nav nor upgraded audio). 

#18 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:15 AM

My car is at the dealer now and I'll pick it up after work. Hoping for the best...

#19 OFFLINE   skyagade

skyagade

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Energi SE

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:32 AM

Well took in vehicle this morning at 7:30am. By the time done with service write up, and shuttle home, about 45 minutes, I get call saying car was done; I guess mechanic had plenty of "practice"(?), although when I drove up to drop-off, there were no waiting lines at service (not a busy day I guess), like purchase dealer (35 miles away) always has. Waited another 45 minutes before shuttle picked up. Drove home and checked all settings and nothing seemed/needed reset, so it appears they didn't disconnect 12v battery; again, I guess that mechanic was adept at doing/knowing how to do the fix very efficiently?

#20 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

Seems like they didn't disconnect it on mine either, but everything seems fine. Adaptive cruise and other controls related to the steering wheel all worked fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·