Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2019 Fusion updates

4cylinder

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2018/03/20/ford-fusion-update/33120431/

Sadly, the Platinum trim was discontinued - I actually really liked it. Wonder what that will do to resale values of '17 and '18 Platinums.

The 2.5L gas engine (which is actually great - responsive and quiet with good fuel economy) is now restricted to the S trim. I was hoping it could migrate into the Titanium trim at least.

Hilariously, the SEL trim has returned - brings back memories of my 2008 Fusion SEL. 

BLIS/lane keep/collision warning are now standard on all trims, likely to compete with Toyota/Honda/Hyundai who have made such things standard on even their entry-level cars. 

Well, the Fusion is still a better car all-around :P The 2018 Accord is a worthy competitor though.

I sat in the Clarity at the 2018 NAIAS, after checking out the all-new Accord. The Clarity felt a lot more low-rent compared to either the Accord or the Fusion. And the Clarity still offers only that stupid Lanewatch camera rather than a traditional blind spot monitor...

• 1 month later...

Another article, this one says the 2019 Fusion Energi gets a 9.0 kWh battery (25 mile range), using new battery chemistry that's more dense, same 84 cells, same form factor.

The bigger question for me regarding this new battery is will we be able to upgrade our 7.6kWh batteries when they die, or will Ford not support that?  I would think a SW upgrade would be all that is necessary to tell the computer what the new battery size is and how much to use for hybrid vs plug-in power.

Given that Ford has announced that they are going to stop production of the Fusion, among others, it is unlikely that will be an option.

Six years after my car was built they add 4 miles to the range.  Meanwhile the 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV has a 47 mile rating and my friend says his is showing 50 miles now that the temperature is getting higher.  The Clarity does not have the trunk filled up by the battery.

Given that Ford has announced that they are going to stop production of the Fusion, among others, it is unlikely that will be an option.

Six years after my car was built they add 4 miles to the range.  Meanwhile the 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV has a 47 mile rating and my friend says his is showing 50 miles now that the temperature is getting higher.  The Clarity does not have the trunk filled up by the battery.

The only issue I have is the looks of the Clarity.  The range is perfect for me and I like it better than the Volt, but I can't get past that rear side and back end.  I still have another year before I start looking hard to replace my Energi so hopefully we see more options coming.

• 1 year later...