Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New to PHEV, but not new to Ford

mjainwater

We are a Ford family, and currently own 3 different Ford vehicles.  I just purchased my Fusion Energi, Platinum edition and it is by far the best car I have owned.

I'm currently charging it over-night with the 110V cable that came with the vehicle.  This works fine for an over-night charge.  I was thinking of adding a 204V charging station to the garage (I already have a NEMA 14-30 outlet).  But it seems they are around $500.  That seems like an pretty big investment and I'm not sure there is any real ROI in this.  The Energi is actually quite fuel efficient even without the plugin capability.  So, saving another $500 for an occasional charge to go to dinner at night doesn't seem worth it.

Any other thoughts on this?  Are the cheaper plugs worth anything... or should I just stick to the 7 hour option?

Thank you.

Don't worry about ROI.  A car is not an investment.  You lost way more than the cost of a level 2 EVSE when you drove the car off of the lot.  The maximum current the car can use at 240 volts is 16 amps.  Only get one that has higher current capability if you plan to get a car that can use the higher current.  Do a Google search for EVSE to see what is available.  Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE).

My car is not used for trips.  I put a couple of gallons of gas into it per year.  A 240 volt EVSE charges the battery in 2 hours.  Late spring through early fall my engine does not run at all.

I know nothing about this one but it goes for $219.

https://amazing-e.com/

I did not buy the Energi to save money. I bought it because I like the feel and (lack of) sound of EV driving but can't afford a Tesla, and most of the other PHEVs didn't appeal to me. In fact, most hybrids generally have a long payback period unless you really drive a LOT, e.g. rideshare/cab driver. 

If I wasn't a renter I'd install a 240V charger in a heartbeat to get the gratification of being able to charge right back up in 2.5 hours and use EV mode far more often.

If you truly enjoy the EV mode, then by all means install the 240V charger. Treat it as a pleasure expense, not as an investment, just like buying a nice new cell phone or going on a vacation.

Edited by 4cylinder

Mine takes about 5 to 5.5 hours to charge.  Our electric rates are really low (1-2 cents per kwh) between midnight and 6am so i just stayed with the standard charger.  Don't see any need to set GO times.  Value Charge is enough for me.

That is insanely cheap. Maybe it's because of all of those wind turbines around your area?