Ford Fusion Energi Forum

When to engage EV Later?

keithsm2

I was just thinking about this last night.  If you are running on EV and run it till its out OR for whatever instance the ICE is needed.   It probably cant be good on the ICE to turn on first thing and have a heavy load on it...IE accelerate to highway speed or Climb a hill.   ( no warm up time ).

Thoughts?

I generally flip to EV later to "fire up" the ICE 30-60 seconds before entering the freeway.  Mostly to get the ICE to kick in fully when accelerating.  If you do it at the moment you try to accelerate, it will still heavily draw from the battery until the computer thinks the ICE is ready.  Same thing for hills but more because it will try to charge the battery for the first 30-60 seconds after entering EV later, instead of using the battery to assist.  That defeats the purpose of having the battery in the first place.

I generally flip to EV later to "fire up" the ICE 30-60 seconds before entering the freeway. Mostly to get the ICE to kick in fully when accelerating. If you do it at the moment you try to accelerate, it will still heavily draw from the battery until the computer thinks the ICE is ready.

Thanks, I've been switching into EV-Later when entering the Parkway on-ramp, and always wondered why I would immediately see a reduction in State-of-Charge in the first miles or so.

I concur as well: I'd prefer to give the ICE at least a few seconds to get all of the oil circulating, especially when the ICE has been sitting for a while, such as overnight. What I have observed is that when I switch to EV Later and the ICE kicks on, there'll be a few second before the ICE will significantly rev and the HVB usage drops off - kinda like the computer gives the ICE a couple of seconds to get oil pressure up before letting it take over the propulsion load. 

I’ve always warmed my ICE cars for a few minutes to let the oil warm up and hopefully make the motor last a little longer.

On my work commute by my battery is depleted I’m already on the freeway going 75-80 and I always wondered if there’s any damage occurring from the motor being cold to instantly running hard.

I figured it’s built that way so maybe there’s something to help it out like a oil pre-warmer or something like that.

The computer knows how to take care of the engine.  There is no correlation between engine RPM and vehicle speed.  The computer sets the RPM at the most efficient point.  Even with the engine running the car is being moved by the electric motor unless you floor it.  Then the engine will drive the wheels directly.

A little known fact is that it is physically impossible for the engine to move the car in reverse.  Reverse can only be done with the electric motor.

• 5 months later...