Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sleep mode without a drained 12V

jjr

I continue to have issues with finding my car in Sleep Mode in the morning.  Every five days or so.  

My car will be plugged in overnight and hit full charge at 2AM at which point I get a text stating the battery is fully charged.  At 5:30 it is in Sleep Mode and can only be woken with a jump.  

My 12V battery is in good health.  I can test in immediately after waking the car and it is north of 12 volts.  

After I jump it and get it started, the onscreen display seems to go through a reboot.  Even though it is in reboot, audio of whatever podcast I was most recently listening to will already be playing.  

Another note - recently I was receiving texts from the car but the date stamp was completely off.  

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.  

The 12 volt battery starts charging when the HVB charging is complete.  If it is failing that fast it is probably bad or there is a load that is not turning off.

You can't test a 12 volt wet cell lead acid battery with just a volt meter.  The voltage needs to be measured with at least a 100 amp load on the battery.

If the battery drops below 11 volts under a 100 amp load, you need a new battery.

This makes it easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BT-100-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B000AMBOI0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1532526759&sr=8-10&keywords=battery+tester

If the battery dies the onboard clock stops.

Select the clock display at top center and then do a GPS sync.  If DST is in effect tap the + for the hour.

Thanks, murphy.  I'll check that out!  It would be great if it is just a battery issue versus any number of 'unknown others'.

I had it at the dealership a few weeks back to catch up on the open recalls.  They presumably did a battery test (and said it was fine) but I have no idea whether they did it under load.  

• 2 months later...

So.  Still having random dead car issues.  I'll go weeks without a problem and then it will be dead again. 

Had the battery load tested and it is fine. 

It's worth noting that the only time this happens is when it is on my 110 charger overnight.  It fully charges but will be dead in the morning.  I can leave it unplugged and sitting for a week without any issues.

I'm guessing the dealership will be useless in solving this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like an issue with the 12V charger portion of the EV system.  When the HV is done it's supposed to shift to charge the 12V, but It's draining rather than charging.  One test you could do is charge to 95+% and unplug, then check to see if the 12V is still charged or dead.  Dealer is likely your only hope if the 12V charger is bad.

In the mean time use charging times and manually unplug when it gets near 100% (assuming the test above passes).