Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford recalls nearly ALL EVSE 120 chargers

shaggy314

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/08/22/us/ap-us-ford-power-cable-recall.html

https://electrek.co/2018/08/22/ford-recalls-charging-cables-electric-vehicles/

Ford text:

• Recall Date: AUG 20, 2018
  • Recall Title: CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD REPLACEMENT 
  • NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
  • Ford Recall Number: 18S24
  • Recall Description: FORD IDENTIFIED AN ELEVATED RATE OF ALLEGATIONS OF MELTING AND FIRE INVOLVING THE 120V CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD THAT DID NOT INCLUDE A THERMISTOR. 
  • Risk to Safety: AN ELECTRICAL INTERFACE WITH INCREASED CONTACT RESISTANCE BETWEEN THE SUBJECT 120V CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD PLUG AND WALL OUTLET CAN RESULT IN INCREASED TEMPERATURE AND POTENTIALLY LEAD TO A FIRE. 
  • Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND (1) REMINDED OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADEQUATE WALL OUTLETS AND THAT EXTENSION CORDS SHOULD NOT BE USED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE AND (2) INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD DEALER TO HAVE THE FACTORY EQUIPPED 120V CONVENIENCE CHARGE CORD REPLACED WITH THE LATEST VERSION OF THE 120V CONVENIENCE CHARGE COD THAT INCLUDES A THERMISTOR. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. 
  • Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

• 4 months later...

Anyone get this yet? Still waiting for them to contact me after getting the notice last year.

I was at my dealer late November and asked them about this and they said "Huh?"  Didn't even know about it.  He looked it up "Oh, yeah here it is" and said parts were not available yet, and I'd get a notice when they were available.

• 2 weeks later...

My dealer in Waldorf, MD wants to test mine. WTF? Recall says replacement (unless they don't want to replace before parts come in). Do they really want that liability. I haven't used mine for years, but I now have access to a plug in a parking garage (which by the way, I don't want to burn down).

I'm assuming they want to test because the parts/service will be decided in the 1st quarter of 2019, which we are almost 1/2 way through.

But, I thought they told people to stop using these. I'm assuming the problem will reveal itself when you try to use an extension cord or if your outlet/connection is bad.

Edited by mczajka