Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ambient Lighting in Cupholders

Scooter80

So was Ford mentioning that the Ambient Lighting was in cupholders and meaning the in-door cupholders (although showing the center console cupholders), or are my center console ones just not working?  

I think through research on the main BlueOval Forum I have answered my own question and believe the former to be the accurate explanation, but I wanted to express my dissatisfaction with this.  Every brochure and mention of this ambient lighting hinted to the center console cupholders, yet they are clearly not lit. In fact, the Fusion iPad app still shows the center console cupholders changing colors. As does the most recent printing of the Energi/Hybrid Quickstart Guide included with Owner's Manuals.  Lame!

I can confirm you were not the only missing this function... They were possibly over thinking this problem. My Acura lighted the middle console from above... I am guessing they didn't want to mix liquids and and the lighting.
This day and age, they don't need electrics anywhere near it. Either light from above like your Acura and my Audi, or simple in-cupholder fiber optics or light pipes will suffice. Could even be done with EL, though color changing with EL isn't there yet.

My 2010 Fusion Hybrid has mood lighting in the cup holders.

Did they forget how to do it?

I don't know. Marketing sham? Edited by Scooter80

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently there were several changes. When I read the options list for my Energi, It said the car would come with aluminum brake and accelerator pedals, in addition to the lighted cupholders. When I got the car there were no aluminum brake and accelerator pedals. That is why they always put the disclaimers in!

Love the car though,,,

Energi's are part of the Job 2 production run. All kinds of changes can occur between production runs, some visible, some not so much. If the change is de minimis, like the cup holder lights, I personally wouldn't expect new photographs of the vehicle to be made to reflect the minor change. The brochure has a catch-all clause "Ford reserves the right to change product specifications at any time without incurring obligations"

• 9 months later...

I liked the feature in another Ford I had rented (a Flex, i think)...and since it was listed as an option I just expected it to be there when i bought the Energi.  I was pretty bummed not to have it...I know it is a very little thing, but it is a way of showing some uniqueness for the car.  

Admittedly a first world problem..but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I miss the aluminum pedals.  The now-less-expensive 2014 titaniums have them...

I installed them on mine.  The brake pedal was relatively easy since it's just a cap on the pedal.

The accelerator pedal was a nightmare.  The entire pedal assembly has to be replaced.  It's held in place by a single T30 bolt located at the top of the assembly.  I had to use an inspection scope and a flexible socket extension to get to it.

• 3 months later...

Can somebody take photos of their ambient lighting, so I can see what this is all about before I sink $700 into it?  I liked the ambient lighting in the older model Fusion Hybrid.  You could hit the button and cycle through the different colors and the cup holders in the center console lit up as well.  Is it completely different on the new Fusions?