Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Available EV range...how high can it go?

mczajka

Mine is at 27 miles this morning. 25 is more typical for me. The number goes down immediately if I turn the climate control on.

When I was charging yesterday at a store, the MyFord Mobile app showed I would have 31 miles if I kept charging to full. I stopped charging after 30 mins so didn't get to see if it really made it to 31

When I plug in on 110 overnight it says 21 miles in the morning. Immediately after I unplug it goes down to 17/18 or 19 miles. Does anyone else's battery do this? 

It will drop if your climate control is on.  The number is basically a prediction of how much range you have based on recent driving habits and current load demands, such as the climate control.

I had 37 miles today.   I think that is probably the maximum.  I think the system used some recent low speed, short distance trips w/o climate control to predict the 37 miles.

That is insane, I think that is the EPA range on a first year Volt (twice the battery capacity). I regularly see 22 or 21, and it seems fairly accurate.

Today when I walked into the garage the light around the plug (120) was still lit. I know the light turns off after a full charge. At least it has every day since I purchased her. It had 16 miles on for the reading. After reading all of your excellent miles on a full charge, I'm wondering if I am one of the very few with a faulty charger or battery or something? I think I need to take it in to the ford dealler. Will let all know if I find out anything.

I ordered a GE 30 amp level 2 EV charger. hoping this will help?

Today I made a few short trips. Drove 22 miles total, when I got home the battery showed 5 EV miles still available. I got 99% Regen, 164 mpge and i didnt drive over 55mph. Most of the trip was in stop and go traffic. Speed was mostly around 35-40 mph. I would love to see a photo of someone showing a EV range available in the 30s. Thanks

Edited by FusionEnergi

Today when I walked into the garage the light around the plug (120) was still lit. I know the light turns off after a full charge. At least it has every day since I purchased her. It had 16 miles on for the reading. After reading all of your excellent miles on a full charge, I'm wondering if I am one of the very few with a faulty charger or battery or something? I think I need to take it in to the ford dealler. Will let all know if I find out anything.

If you're wondering if your battery is completely charged, you can go into the touchscreen and press the button new the center, bottom, the one with the leaf coming out of the road.  On the upper right portion of the settings screen the display will indicate the % of charge the battery is currently, along with the amount of time to reach the full charge at 110V and 220 V.  I usually use my phone to check the state of charge.

As for the 16 miles of indicated range, I wouldn't be too concerned, that is well within the normal "up to 21 miles" range.  The number displayed is just a predicted range based on how the car has been driven recently, outside air temp, and what loads were being used,  i.e.  lights, A/C, heater, radio.

Edited by Energized

Mine is exactly the same, usually predicts (fairly accurately, 16/17 miles), I have a stretch on Interstate to get to my office, which kills it, plus I'm usually using climate control in the "auto" setting. I think its working as intended, I'll try a back roads/climate off commute this morning and see if I can stretch it a bit. 

I think both plugs 120/240 do the same thing (supply AC to the car and the car then charges battery), once car tells the plug controller its full, it'll stop supplying, The level 2 only gets this job done more quickly.

I'll try a back roads/climate off commute this morning and see if I can stretch it a bit. 

Made a round trip to my office and back with climate control off (beautiful 73' day here in NC), avoiding Interstate and with heavy use of the ecco adaptive cruise control, I arrived back home with and estimated 7 miles left in EV mode. (total trip was 21.4). I really didn't alter my driving habits, too much other than trying to milk the regen breaks and seeing how many 100% returns I could get. I'm guessing I could get close to 30 miles on a charge.

On a normal trip there and back I usually get switched over to hybrid mode with about 2-3 miles to go. Then again I've only had the car for one week and still have a lot of the driving habits formed by my former Mustang GT.

I wish "my for mobile" would log trip data, I'd love to track improvements, etc in driving/economy.