Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2014 MY Fusion changes are out...

shaggy314

As post on Blue Oval:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53348-2014-ford-fusion-changes-adds-15l-3-cylinder-engine-cooled-seats-heated-wheel/?p=845555

Mechanical:

1.5L 3-Cylinder Engine with 6 speed Select Shift automatic - late availability

This will be optional on SE along with the 1.6L, the 2.5L I4 is still standard

The 1.6L looses the automatic start-stop tech while the the 1.5L gets it

Safety: Rear inflatable Seat Belts

Exterior:

New Colors: Dark Side & Sunset

Colors Deleted: Bordeaux Reserve

Gingerale

Dune interior now available with Sterling Grey

Interior:

Available Heated Steering Wheel - Late Availability

Available Cooled Seats on Titanium and Hybrid Titanium- Late Availability

Functional:

Available Summer only Tire on SE Appearance and SE Luxury, and Titanium AWD (gas variants only)

Packages:

S Hybrid

Brick Red Premium Leather Package

Aarrrggghh!!! A lack of heated steering wheel, cooled seats, and heated rear seats were the only things holding me back from trading my aging Audi instead of my wife's car! And the only thing she really wanted that the fusion didn't have was the heated steering wheel. To have two of those wish list items added just after purchase is a bit of a punch in the gut. Color me disappointed, but still loving the 2013 despite.

Also note the seats say LATE availability, so don't look for it for the first couple of MONTHS.

Not sure I could ever care about a heated steering wheel, if it's THAT cold, I'd have gloves anyway, but the cooled seat in the Taurus are SWEET in the Texas summer. I had wondered about those being missing from the Ti trim level on the already expensive Energi.

I still think they could trade 2 gallons of gas for more trunk space or find SOME more trunk space. I cannot get two bodies large suitcases in there and I'll have to go with a Taurus gas guzzler. j/k I wouldn't get a Taurus.

Edited by shaggy314

I still think they could trade 2 gallons of gas for more trunk space or find SOME more trunk space. I cannot get two bodies large suitcases in there and I'll have to go with a Taurus gas guzzler. j/k I wouldn't get a Taurus.

Since the norm is including a kit for minor tire puncture repair instead of a spare tire, I think it's time to redesign the whole trunk shape and reclaim that spare tire circle for something other than a foam insert with a toy air compressor and can of sealant.  They could do this across all variations of the model and not have to make sheet metal specific to those with a high-voltage battery.  There has to be a cubic foot or two that could be reclaimed if it were shaped differently so as not to have a spare tire well.

Posted on Blue Oval, MY 2014 date updates:

05/03/2013  2013MY Last Day to Spec Change

07/13/2013  2013MY Job Last Date

04/19/2013  2014MY Order Bank Open Date (Hermosillo & Flat Rock)

05/16/2013  2014MY Scheduling Begins (Hermosillo)

06/13/2013  2014MY Scheduling Begins (Flat Rock)

07/15/2013  2014MY Job #1 Date (Hermosillo)

08/26/2013  2014MY Job #1 Date (Flat Rock)

So the 2014MY FF order books opened on Friday and the order guides were posted in this BOF thread!

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53508-2014-fusion-fusion-energi-order-guides/

As it stands now, the 2014 FF Energi Titanium will NOT have the Dual Integrated Bright Exhaust despite it being added to the 2014 FF Hy Ti. That's disappointing that the top of the line model still can't get that option. Still no choice of rims, nor LED DRLs nor HIDs.

EXTERIOR

• New Colors:

— Dark Side (BT)

— Sunset (D7)

• Deleted Colors:

— Ginger Ale

— Bordeaux Reserve

INTERIOR/COMFORT

• New:

— Medium Soft Ceramic on Titanium – Late Availability

— Dune now available with Sterling Gray

— Red Leather Package available on Titanium

— Front Heated & Cooled Seats (46B) – Late Availability

FUNCTIONAL

• New:

— Heated Steering Wheel (52A)

SAFETY & SECURITY

• New:

— Rear Inflatable Seat Belts (67B)

I would've loved to have gotten a light gray interior with my Fusion along with the heated steering wheel plus the heated/cooled seats.  The lighter colors would've really been nice to keep the interior a bit cooler during the summer.  By the time mine is built and I take delivery, I could've probably ordered a 2014 model.  Meh.  OH well.  I'll still be happy with what I got.  You jump in when you jump in. :)

• 2 months later...

The Energi and Titanium trim on Hybrid were both late availability for 2013 MY.  They didn't start production until what, January or February 2013.  So I would bet it'll be late 2013 or early 2014 before they are shipping models with those features.

If you order tomorrow and order one with those features, you'll just be waiting until they are available.  If you order one without them then you'll get it late summer/early fall.

Looks like the 2014 model year is up on Ford's website for building.

The 'Brick Red' seating option is available as is the rear inflatable seat belts... but there's another option that surprised me... there's a 'wireless charging accessory'.  It's 195 bucks, no real description for it aside from it stating that it's optional (duh?)... and I'm dying to know more about that.  Does it run on 240 or 120, and what is the maximum current it supports?  If it works like my cordless toothbrush, that's pretty exciting.

Looks like the 2014 model year is up on Ford's website for building.

The 'Brick Red' seating option is available as is the rear inflatable seat belts... but there's another option that surprised me... there's a 'wireless charging accessory'.  It's 195 bucks, no real description for it aside from it stating that it's optional (duh?)... and I'm dying to know more about that.  Does it run on 240 or 120, and what is the maximum current it supports?  If it works like my cordless toothbrush, that's pretty exciting.

When we were waiting for our cars to be scheduled and built last year I read an article that spoke about a charger that could be installed, on the garage floor let's say, and the car would have a matching part installed on its underside so that when the two were in proximity to each other the car battery would be charged through a magnetic field, I think it was. It's been awhile since I read that article but I remember wishing it were available now.

At $195 I'm doubt that's what we are talking about here for the 2014 model but I like the wireless part and hope it can be retrofitted to our cars. Time will tell.

A plugless charging station is expensive:

http://www.pluginnow.com/plugless

I wonder how difficult it is to position your car properly over the parking pad to get it to work properly without running over the pad (it doesn't look like it would stand up to that).

Isn't the bottom of the car covered for aerodynamics.  I wonder if that would interfere with charging?

Edited by larryh

They refer to it as induction charging.  Still, with zero description on what that wireless charging accessory actually is, for all I know it's just a pad that goes on the bottom of the car to a cell phone charger as Murphy mentioned.

Honestly, I'm waiting for induction charging to be on all cars and electricity to be fed to electric cars through the road surface.  Granted, we won't see that for probably 20 years, but the technology is there.  Each car already has electric meters on board... make those accessible to your power company (who will have reciprocal agreements with other companies for interstate travel) and they bill you for what you use month to month.  And then the Gov't gets to tax the hell out of it so they make up for the lack of gasoline sales. :)

• 1 month later...

Yes, go to this site and register.  Once you have your VIN and register it whenever you check this site you will see if there are updates for your vehicle or not.  There is a Sync update that just came available the other day.

support.ford.com

Also, you can download the MyFord Mobile app if you have a Smartphone; be sure to get the correct app though for the Plug-In Hybrid.  Then you can also register on line with MyFord Mobile.

phev.myfordmobile.com