Ford Fusion Energi Forum

What Level 2 Charger did you buy/install?

jeff_h

What L2 Charger did you (or will you) choose?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which charger is for you?

• Leviton 30 Amp
    • Leviton 32 Amp
    • GE Wattstation 30 Amp
    • Siemens Versicharge 30 Amp
    • AreoVironment 30 Amp
    • Eaton 30 Amp
    • Other brand/type not listed (or reply so it can be added)
    • Don't plan to get L2 charger, using the 120v cord that came with my Energi
    • Leviton 16 Amp
    • Clipper Creek 25 Amp
    • Clipper Creek 40 Amp
    • JuiceBox
    • Bosch PowerMax 30A

Leviton Level 2 kit for me. Purchased from Home Depot. My panel is in the garage so it took an electrician about 2 hours to install the 240 V socket. Thankfully, I had a couple empty breaker sockets but now at 100% full. If I ever get another plugin car, it's gonna be a lot more to install than the $180 I spent today. Will probably need a sub panel like jeff_h or do some illegal splicing of some 120V lines!

The odd thing to me is when charging on 110 (at home) the car only gets to 21 miles, at the office on the LCS-25 it always shows AND GOES 25 miles. Just thought that was odd as if its getting more of a charge on the LCS-25.

Also the LCS-25 charging is with eGo Times that turn on the AC before I leave the office.

I have the Clippercreek also, and I'm consistently getting 28-29 miles per charge. I just assumed it was adjusting to my driving habits. I should use the 110 tonight to see if I still get 28 miles....

post-48-0-98980300-1367494926_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Fusion

I used the 110 charger last night and still got 28 miles on the battery. Although, I unplugged the 110 and plugged in the 220 and the charger said it was charging, but the ring was solid and my meter didn't click up any.

One thing's for sure... WOW it took a long time to charge with the 110. I'm spoiled with my 220 charger.

My last full 220 charge used 7.16 kWh, according to my meter. I never measured the 110, but others say it's in the high 7's

And I know I can't prove it, but I swear you get a little more out of the 220.

Last night I charged with the 110 and had 28 miles on the dash battery, which quickly ticked down to 27 soon after leaving.

I just charged it today on the 220 and I have 30 miles in big battery.

post-48-0-62355500-1367608922_thumb.jpg

I just ordered the Clipper Creek LCS-25 from metroplugin,com.

The price, features and experiences from other users convinced me this was the best deal.

The service from metroplugin was also top notch - Greg answered all my questions and the unit shipped the same day.

Should have this installed in a week or two.

You're paying higher prices because you're an early adopter. The "chargers" are not chargers at all, they are essentially a high current rated relay/contactor with a basic communication card that drives it. 

The comm card negotiates with the car to determine what sized charger is on board and also prepares the car for what voltage it's going to send. Once negations are complete the contactor closes and AC power is sent to the car. That is why some complain about a "thunk" sound that the "charger" makes. The sound is made by the larger electromagnet pulling the contactor closed. Others use solid state technology that does not make noise but the concept is still very similar. Here is a basic diagram, more on the comm protocol can be found here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

sae-j1772-el-config_274.jpg

I think I am going to wait a little while...  I can now see the benefit of having a 220 charging station, but at 43 MPG I can deal with using some gas.  :-)

R

I've come to the same conclusion.  The charging time at 110V has been plenty fast for my uses and buying gas once every 6 weeks or so isn't bad.

I filled out the request form for the Bosch Power Max 30 Amp / 18' Cord charger at their web site a couple of weeks ago.  They contacted Mr. Electric to come out and do a survey, and provide an estimate for the installation.  Mr. Electric came out today to do the survey.   Mr. Electric submits the estimate to PlugInNow and they in turn will provide me with the cost for the total package.  The charger will be available at the end of June.

The manual recommends a 30 Amp charger:  Ideal conditions include a 240V charging station and a minimum 30A service and high-voltage battery at a moderate temperature.

Mr. Electric was the installer that Ford had previously selected for its Charging Stations.   Mr. Electric would purchase the Ford/Leviton Charging Station from Best Buy (special order) and do the installation.  However, Ford has now selected AeroVironment as the provider for its Charging Stations.  Mr. Electric and Best Buy are no longer involved.

Edited by larryh

I filled out the request form for the Bosch Power Max 30 Amp / 18' Cord charger at their web site a couple of weeks ago.  They contacted Mr. Electric to come out and do a survey, and provide an estimate for the installation.  Mr. Electric came out today to do the survey.   Mr. Electric submits the estimate to PlugInNow and they in turn will provide me with the cost for the total package.  The charger will be available at the end of June.

The manual recommends a 30 Amp charger:  Ideal conditions include a 240V charging station and a minimum 30A service and high-voltage battery at a moderate temperature.

Mr. Electric was the installer that Ford had previously selected for its Charging Stations.   Mr. Electric would purchase the Ford/Leviton Charging Station from Best Buy (special order) and do the installation.  However, Ford has now selected AeroVironment as the provider for its Charging Stations.  Mr. Electric and Best Buy are no longer involved.

If you don't mind sharing your estimate and experience, I am also considering this route.

i got the 40a leviton with the hanging plug. It charges fully in under two hours. Only reason we went with the 40a is because we have a tesla model s performance on order.

I thought the tesla used a different charge method. I am pretty sure you only use a cord and the outlet, and the charger is built into the car.  Edit: I see the model S also has the standard charger! Model S also comes with a J1772 adapter to be used with public charging stations.

However, you still have a nice charger that should work on whatever PEV car you chose next.

Edited by meyersnole

If you don't mind sharing your estimate and experience, I am also considering this route.

I should be getting the estimate sometime next week.  Mr. Electric will run wire from my electric panel in an unfinished section of my basement to the garage (about 30') through the floor joists.  I have a 150 amp main breaker in the panel with plenty of room for a 40 amp breaker for the charger.  Once in the garage, he will install another 20' of conduit along the wall to the charger. Note that if you use the electrician that they recommend, you get a 3 year warranty on the charger vs. a 1 year warranty if you install it yourself or use another electrician.  But they probably add on a small surcharge to the estimate provided by the electrician they recommended for that (maybe 5%).

I had considered adding a $75 submeter socket provided by the electric company for lower charging rates.  However, Mr. Electric said the cost to install that would be greater than $2500.  I'm not sure all what he was planning to do, but it included installing a new meter socket along with a new electric panel.  So I will not be installing a submeter.

Edited by larryh