Ford Fusion Energi Forum

What Level 2 Charger did you buy/install?

jeff_h

What L2 Charger did you (or will you) choose?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which charger is for you?

• Leviton 30 Amp
    • Leviton 32 Amp
    • GE Wattstation 30 Amp
    • Siemens Versicharge 30 Amp
    • AreoVironment 30 Amp
    • Eaton 30 Amp
    • Other brand/type not listed (or reply so it can be added)
    • Don't plan to get L2 charger, using the 120v cord that came with my Energi
    • Leviton 16 Amp
    • Clipper Creek 25 Amp
    • Clipper Creek 40 Amp
    • JuiceBox
    • Bosch PowerMax 30A

I should be getting the estimate sometime next week.  Mr. Electric will run wire from my electric panel in an unfinished section of my basement to the garage (about 30') through the floor joists.  I have a 150 amp main breaker in the panel with plenty of room for a 40 amp breaker for the charger.  Once in the garage, he will install another 20' of conduit along the wall to the charger. Note that if you use the electrician that they recommend, you get a 3 year warranty on the charger vs. a 1 year warranty if you install it yourself or use another electrician.  But they probably add on a small surcharge to the estimate provided by the electrician they recommended for that (maybe 5%).

I had considered adding a $75 submeter provided by the electric company for lower charging rates.  However, Mr. Electric said the cost to install that would be greater than $2500.  I'm not sure all what he was planning to do, but it included installing a new meter socket along with a new electric panel.  So I will not be installing a submeter.

I hope my install will not be that complex. I have the panel in the garage, guess I will just have to set it up to find out what they charge. Thanks for sharing. I agree, $2,500 to lower you bill a bit seems excessive. I have that same issue with my irrigation system and installing a second meter. They want about $1,800 for a site survey.

I don't think my estimate will be applicable to your situation.  I asked another electrician for their prices for installation.  They quoted they have performed several installations for $350 - $400, depending on the distance to the charger, when there is room in the panel for a 40 amp breaker and the panel is in the garage. 

So if it costs $400 to do an installation when the panel is in the garage, I wonder how much more it should cost when the panel is in the basement and they have to run the wire through 30' of floor joists.   I would think the difference would be at most a couple hours of labor and 50' more of wire.  A couple of hundred dollars more?

Edited by larryh

Guest drfeltersnatch

I thought the tesla used a different charge method. I am pretty sure you only use a cord and the outlet, and the charger is built into the car.  Edit: I see the model S also has the standard charger! Model S also comes with a J1772 adapter to be used with public charging stations.

However, you still have a nice charger that should work on whatever PEV car you chose next.

Tesla uses it's own plug, but comes with an adapter. We have already fully charged a model s on our charger at a rate of 31miles an hour! woot. lol

If you don't mind sharing your estimate and experience, I am also considering this route.

According to the MetroPlugIn website FAQs: 

What is the cost of a Level 2 charging station for the home?

We sell the ClipperCreek LCS-25 residential charging station for $795.  In most cases, home installation (using one of our affiliates) will cost less than $700 – for a total cost under $1,500. We also sell the Eaton residential charging station for $1,095, for a total installed cost under $1,800.

I don't expect PlugInNow to be any different.  So based on this, I expect that the installation price will be $700 + $200 (estimate of additional cost when the fuse box is in the basement).

I received the estimate.  Installation is $900.  The permit is $40.  The unit itself is $593. 

I also called my Electric company, again, regarding installing a submeter and asked about Mr. Electric's estimate of $2,500 to install it  They replied that they could recommend an electrician to have it installed for less than $200.  I called Mr. Electric and told him what the electric company told me.  He said they would call them and update the estimate.

Mr. Electric should have called my Electric company to find out the requirements for installing the submeter, rather than making the incorrect assumption that I needed to install a completely separate electric service and giving me incorrect estimate of more than $2,500 for the submeter installation.  The submeter goes between the service panel and the charger.  I told him multiple times prior to him coming out and during his survey, what the electric company told me, that it would not be a expensive installation.  I should not have to tell him how to install a submeter. 

I am going to get estimates from other electricians (installing a Leviton charger).  I'm not sure I trust this electrician.

As an aside, Best Buy still seems to offering the Ford/Leviton Charging Station at their bestbuyforbusiness.com website.  It is listed under Home / Health & Fitness / Outdoor Recreation / Electric Vehicle Charging Stations.  I'm not sure how they expect anyone to find it under Health & Fitness.  I didn't know it could be healthy and recreational at the same time :drop: .

Edited by larryh

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Leviton EVB22-3PT from Amazon ($768 including install kit, it arrived last Friday).  Since I wired my own house when I built it (25 years ago), I felt comfortable adding in a new 20 amp 240v breaker (lots of room in my panel).  I used PVC conduit and 12-2 NM wire to get the outlet in a convenient location that will allow charging in the garage or in the driveway. (I had a spool of wire so I only had to buy the PVC conduit and fittings, maybe $30-40, I didn't save the receipt).

All was going good until I plugged in the unit for the first time and nothing happened.  Not a blink, a buzz, anything. :-(   I checked my new circuit with a multimeter and it seemed to be fine.  As it was Sunday afternoon, I shelved the tools, wrote down the S/N and prepared to call the Leviton hotline first thing on Monday morning.  I called Leviton this morning, apparently they are on the East coast since I got a technician on the line at 6:30am PDT.  It didn't take long before he asked me to cut the "Warranty Void" tag and open the unit (*after* unplugging the unit!).  The main electrical connections all looked good and he asked me to check out the ribbon cable that connected the circuit board to the LEDs on the door. Aha!  The ribbon cable was firmly attached, but it was one pin too low!  I removed the connect from the pins and re-seated it on all of the pins, closed the door, plugged it in and got to watch the LEDs go through the power-on sequence.  My Energi is currently receiving its first taste of 240v. :-)

-Bill Campbell

The unit came with an extra warranty tag, As instructed I put it on the unit.

I maybe should have asked for something in writing, but I figure that since the unit is now working and, as other people have pointed out, these are really quite simple devices, that my chances of needing the warranty are declining rapidly with every day that I use it.  I did take a nice high-res picture of the mis-installed ribbon cable.

I also figure that if I do have another issue, Leviton will be reasonable--in the age of online forums it is not a good idea to take advantage of early adopters.

And now the floor is open to all that think I am too trusting. :-)

-Bill Campbell

2 weeks in my 3PT is running fine. I had one hickup where I pluged it in and the car didn't charge... looked over and I had the switch off (oops, user error). About 10 or so charges in and working as intended. 350 miles and still haven't needed to put gas in yet, only down 1/4 of a tank, so no Fuelly tag... /shucks

Edited by shaggy314

Are you planning on sharing that circuit with your dryer? Or that is available to use dedicated for your charger?

Also, realize that most are happy with overnight charging and supplied 120v charger. I have been using for 3 months and there are only a hand full of times (after work or the weekends) where the L2 would have benefited me. Having said that, I am going to install one about 2 weeks.  Really depends on your driving habits.

I have a NEMA 14-30P outlet in my garage (for my clothes dryer I guess).  Are there any charging stations that will work with this?

I am not aware of any charger that comes with a "dryer" plug.

The 16 ampere chargers come with a 6-20P plug and the 32 ampere chargers come with a 6-50P plug.

You could get a charger that has no plug and must be hard wired into the circuit but a 30 amp circuit is too small for a 32 amp charger.  That said a 16 amp charger is all that is required for the Energi.  Unless you have plans to buy a full electric car a 32 amp charger is of no value since it can't charge the car any faster than a 16 amp charger.

I have the same outlet in my garage... a Nema 14-30R.  I violated code a bit... I made that circuit in to a branch circuit and tied a Nema 6-20R in to it with 10 gauge wire, since I got the Leviton 16A 240 charger.  Circuit rating is still 30A.  I have an air compressor plugged in to the 14-30R that only uses about 10A at 240 (surge rating... running is less).  Code says I can't put a 6-20R on a 30A circuit at all, even with correctly rated wire.  Don't know or understand why... there's no way to overload a 240 plug since they don't make outlet strips or any other devices that draw MORE than 20A using that kind of plug.  Those outlets do not have a pass-through, so you can't take the circuit to 25A and melt the outlet... (I tied the extra line in with wire nuts behind my 14-30R).  I also replaced my standard 30A breaker with a GFCI type, which was just shy of 100 bucks.

That being said, it is a violation and should I actually have an electrical problem, IE a fire, that is identified as being caused by that, insurance probably won't cover it.  What I need to do is make it a dedicated outlet since that what EV charging stations ask for.  Problem is my sub panel in the garage is full.  I'll have to either get 2 double breakers that fit in to 1 slot or upgrade the panel.

Are you planning on sharing that circuit with your dryer? Or that is available to use dedicated for your charger?

Also, realize that most are happy with overnight charging and supplied 120v charger. I have been using for 3 months and there are only a hand full of times (after work or the weekends) where the L2 would have benefited me. Having said that, I am going to install one about 2 weeks.  Really depends on your driving habits.

It seems that the L2 charger is more efficient and more than twice as fast as a result. In other words there is more effeciency loss the longer and slower you charge (conversion, heat, and fans). For example i've had it take over 6.5 hours to charge on L1, but never more than 2.5 hours on any L2 charger (work or home).

My dryer plugs into a conventional 3-prong outlet.  I'm assuming it's not on the same circuit as the 14-30 outlet (but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Edited by mikenmar