Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Auto high beams problem

So, while I love this feature and have marveled at how accurate and useful it has been, I did encounter an issue with it the other night.

I was on an airport pickup (which ended up being perfectly timed btw, consider my horn tooted), I got behind an old beater Oldsmobile with those tail lights that extend across the whole back end. Well, either they weren't bright enough, or the auto high beam system just didn't recognize them. So, when there wasn't oncoming traffic across the median of this lesser traveled, unlit 4-lane, my high beams kept kicking on even though she was still right in front of me a few car lengths away. Must've really made the poor lady wonder what this jerk was doing. I got to verify that car was the prob since I slowed to allow someone to pass me and get between us. That car had "regular" tail lights and no further problems. Makes me wonder it will do with some of these newer cars with that feature (a la Dodge Challenger, Charger and Dart).

Anywho, just be aware this could happen, and know how to defeat the auto highs!

"Manually overriding the system

Use the lever to switch between the high beams and the low beams.

Note: This is a temporary override and the system will return to automatic operation after a short period.

To permanently deactivate the system, use the information display menu or turn the lighting control switch from autolamps to headlamps."

Wish I'd been able to recall this that night. Felt like a real jerk.