Ford Fusion Energi Forum

"Popping" sound when starting or stopping movement

47Minutes

I've had my Energi since 3/28 and have logged just around 1050 miles so far.  Since about week 1 I have heard a "popping" sound whenever I release the brake and begin to roll and also when almost at a complete stop.  It would be successive pops.  Usually 2, sometimes 3 or more.

I finally got back to the dealer yesterday to have them look at it along with a list of a few others items.  The service advisor just called me to say they traced this sound to the axle.  He wants to order parts, keep the car over the weekend and perform the work starting next week.

Looking across the other related Fusion forums there is this topic on the Hybrid forum:  http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6180-cracking-noise/

I wouldn't describe my sound as a 'cracking noise' so I wasn't paying too much attention to this thread over there.  Now that service thinks it's related to the axle I'm paying more attention as that is one of the common thoughts coming from other inspecting dealers on that thread.  The other 'thought' is engine mounts.

Anyway, I gave my service rep that forum link and the Hotline Assistance number that is referenced in there.  I'm concerned about them wanting to do this work when, if it is the same issue, Ford has everything in a holding pattern while they look for a permanent fix.  We'll see if he lends any credence to the information I've provided him.

My main concern right now is getting the car back and not constantly worrying about future issues because of major things being taken apart, replaced and reassembled.  But if it fixes it, then so be it.

Anyone else out there hearing things?

I've just had my issue escalated to a Customer Service Manager with Ford.  I should expect to hear from the CSM on Monday after they've reviewed the case and spoken to the dealership.  I'll update as things progress.

Let me know, as I experience similar sounds as well.  Not when I release the brake though, but when I start to move forward. Maybe I should ask them about it next time I go in.

Let me know, as I experience similar sounds as well.  Not when I release the brake though, but when I start to move forward. Maybe I should ask them about it next time I go in.

It is that beginning of movement that I am meaning to reference when I say releasing the brake.  It is not the brake pedal coming up that triggers the sound, but the movement of the car starting to roll after doing so.  Also, I hear it when decelerating and just before I come to a complete stop.  I'll update sometime Monday.  This weekend I'll search through some CMax forums to see if I find anything there.

It is that beginning of movement that I am meaning to reference when I say releasing the brake.  It is not the brake pedal coming up that triggers the sound, but the movement of the car starting to roll after doing so.  Also, I hear it when decelerating and just before I come to a complete stop.  I'll update sometime Monday.  This weekend I'll search through some CMax forums to see if I find anything there.

Yes, same thing.

Are you hearing it in EV now mode? I have not started the engine yet and was wondering. Thanks

I only hear it in EV now mode. Not saying it is not happening in other modes, that is just the one that I hear it.

Honestly I was not overly concerned about it... but let me know if it is something that I should bring to the attention of the dealer.

Here is the latest on my popping/cracking noise...

I've attached my service technician's Hotline Assistance Request.  The response from Ford is to use chassis ears on the steering knuckle and drive the vehicle.  If the noise is from the steering knuckle, engineering is aware of the concern and is investigating to determine and repair the root cause.  They suspect it is caused by a halfshaft spline to wheel bearing hub spline interference concern.

I'll likely get my car back tomorrow or in a couple days depending on the body shop schedule for repair of a paint defect to my rear bumper.

Fun Times!

FORD HOTLINE.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Experiencing the same issues on 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 4700 miles on it.  Any updates that anyone knows of?  I took my car to the dealership on 5/3/13 and have been told essentially the same thing a lot of other owners have heard; Ford is aware of it and looking into a fix.  Quite annoying to purchase a new car and have issues so early in the ball game.  Does anyone know who I can escalate this feedback to above the dealership? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a quiet hybrid, only to be interrupted every time you break and accelerate with weird metallic clicking sounds...

As of today my dealer has no updates for my Hotline assistance case.  I have a Customer Service Manager with FORD that I'm already speaking to for other items I wanted to be sure my dealer addressed.

As you've been told, Ford Engineers are aware of the issue and are working to find the permanent solution to it.  I don't think trying to escalate your case is going to get any more action out of them than the dozens of owners I've seen come on the forums with the same issue.

At least it's not apparently a safety issue requiring that the cars not move until it is fixed.

As of today my dealer has no updates for my Hotline assistance case.  I have a Customer Service Manager with FORD that I'm already speaking to for other items I wanted to be sure my dealer addressed.

As you've been told, Ford Engineers are aware of the issue and are working to find the permanent solution to it.  I don't think trying to escalate your case is going to get any more action out of them than the dozens of owners I've seen come on the forums with the same issue.

At least it's not apparently a safety issue requiring that the cars not move until it is fixed.

Thanks for following up on this 47... I am not due to go to the dealer until I do a tire rotation in like 6 months or so.  I will probably mention it to the dealer to get it put on the record, but plan to see what your outcome is before I push on it.

You hear so many noises in this car that you would not normally hear because its so quiet! Backing up this morning I could hear the brakes grabbing, very odd... guess regen does not work in reverse!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like a TSB has been released for a fix to this:  http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3598/tsb13-05-24.htm

Unfortunately, this excludes my Energi based upon build date.  So I'm still waiting to hear back from the service department to see what the next step is.

The below quote from my service advisor has me concerned about my Fusion Energi with a build date not included in the TSB...

"The tech is already aware of that tsb. Your vehicle is already equipped with those plates on the shaft. Ford is still in the process of finding out why they still make that noise"

• 10 months later...

I've got the same noise in my celebration and deceleration. Seems like three loud clicks in either direction from the right front tire. I've got about 6800 miles and it has had this for at least 3000 of that. I'm mostly EV if that matters or not.

Any fixes yet that you guys know of?

Mine was completely resolved by the dealer. But I had an early production run car that was missing a part. If you were built after 1/21/13 than my solution probably does not apply. You should contact your dealership though to get it documented and resolved. 

I've got the same noise in my celebration and deceleration. Seems like three loud clicks in either direction from the right front tire. I've got about 6800 miles and it has had this for at least 3000 of that. I'm mostly EV if that matters or not.

Any fixes yet that you guys know of?

Etchhead,

I'm happy to look into this for you. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, and dealer info. I'll see how I can best assist.

Ashley

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd add to this thread since I am having a similar problem.  

At about 5,000 miles, suddenly my late-build 2014 Energi started making a “clunk” at low speeds, like parking lot speeds, at throttle tip in after the brakes had been applied.  Clearly it was something that was loading and unloading from brake and engine torque.  It was only really noticeable in EV mode at first, when driving in "engine on" mode the problem was not really noticeable and it seemed to only occur as speeds <10MPH. 

So I itemized all this information and took it in to the dealer.  They initially dismissed that there was any issue other than “the electric brake noises” and “brake pad chatter”.  This misdiagnosis completely floored me so I insisted that they test it again and follow the driving pattern that I had already given them.  Then, the problem was replicated, however the tech that did this level of work was booked up so they asked me to pick it up and return it a few days later which I did.

The tech inspected the car and believed that a motor mount was defective so this was ordered and installed.  This did not fix the problem.  The tech still believes that it is a motor mount problem so the dealer plans to replace the other 2 mounts (there are 3 in total).  The complication here is that 1 of the 2 remaining mounts is on backorder, has been on backorder since my car was worked on in early August, and is projected to be on backorder until about the middle of September – how this can be possible while new Fusion Energi’s are in continuous production is beyond me. 

Meanwhile, the problem was getting worse and worse with the noise audible (and felt) at virtually all speeds in either EV or engine mode.  When I learned a few days ago that the missing mount would not be delivered for another 2 weeks I reached out to Ford CR on the CMAX energi forum, who immediately connected me (Thanks!) with Ford CR who authorized a loaner rental for 10 days after agreeing with my concern that it would probably not be a great idea to continue driving the car under the existing conditions.  So I dropped off the car at the dealer this morning, however the loaner car was a fail due to the dealer-based Hertz rep disappearing right before I walked into his office at 7:28 (they open at 7:30), with a “will return at” clock… set to 8:00!  This would have meant being completely late to work so I took the dealer shuttle home and grabbed another car for today’s commute.  I’ll sort out the loaner car tomorrow when there is plenty of time to burn. 

To be fair to the dealer, they have no control over the Hertz office and quickly accommodated my request for a ride home, as well as they want to fix the car as much as I do. They are at the mercy of parts availability, and would certainly had done the mount installation by now had the parts been available.

Anyway, for now my 4-month old purchased Energi is sitting at the dealer with a powertrain clunk waiting for parts.

I’ll update the post when there is a diagnosis.

Edited by jza80

• 11 months later...

My Popping sound was more like the sound of a ping pong ball.

My Fusion energy was delivered in February 2013, so maybe it was one of the earlier ones.

When I heard this ping pong 'THOCK', I never felt anything not right with the power delivery-- only the ping pong ball sound.   The dealership said I was not in danger of the tranny seizing up-- or failing.  And I never felt that it impeded, other than the shoddy sounding noise on accel/decel.  But I knew it eventually needed to be fixed.

After 2 or 3 complaints at the dealership, they finally decided to replace the entire transmission, since no one at this ford dealership in L.A. could service this very complicated piece of transmission machinery-- engine braking, region braking, ev accel, ICE accell, the whole nine...  I was told that no dealership could service the Energi transmission-- too complicated.  So replacement is their fix.  Sounds like one big headache for Ford, at least to me.

So after the tranny replacement, the car felt more sure, including shifts, accell, etc.  I was very happy.  Trouble is, I didn't see the pool of transmission oil on the floor of my garage, before excitedly driving this gorgeous car from L.A. to Sedona.  At 2am 10 miles from Sedona, the 'transmission oil is hot' idiot light came on.   Once I pulled over for 30 min, it seemed ok on the last few miles.

Long story short(too late maybe) the next morning I heard some 'laboring issues' sounds coming from the tranny and immediately had Ford roadside assistance come and pick my beloved vehicle up in Sedona.  Sounded like it was missing most of its tranny fluid.  Who knows how bad it could be after a 400mile trek?  So I rented a car to drive back to L.A.   Fords Consumer Relations dept took over and is transporting my Energi back to Airport Marina Ford, where the tranny replacement took place.

I have about 45k on my Energi, and was told by the service advisor that California law required 100k warranty on EV drivetrains.  Not sure if that is true or not, but Ford did not charge me one cent of the $7800 bill for the new tranny.

Maybe its my lifelong cool demeanor- or those heavenly negative ions from Sedona put a glorious spell over me that I could feel-- I don't blame anyone in this-- though i did tell the service guy before tranny replacement where I was headed the following days.   I would leave for Sedona just 4 days after the transmission replacement.  I should have paid more attention to the floor underneath my Energi.  Back in the day of youth, 1 quart of oil a week into my 'hoop-ties'(old A#$ car) I checked underneath every day.  But not on a new car I just purchased...   Hindsight is 20/20.  

I was told by Ford Consumer Affairs that my Energi would be delivered to the dealership in L.A. on Monday to be sorted. 

I'll keep you guys updated.