Ford Fusion Energi Forum

charging and wet weather

pippin65

If the receptacle is exposed to the rain during charging, I would suggest creating a plug enclosure to fit over the end of the cord's plug to keep the water out. Those $5 styrofoam hose tap freeze protectors from Lowes or HD can work great for this. Just cut a slot angled out the bottom front for the cord to exit and place the rubber tension anchor over the plug to pull the cover against the wall to keep water out. A second cover could be used to keep the charger plug dry on the car receptacle if that is outside in the rain but you may need to use some Saran wrap around the whole thing to provide a more water tight connection to the paint. But if possible, I'd avoid charging when exposed to the rain. Missing a charge cycle or two because of rain and operating it as a gas hybrid once in awhile should be no big deal.

I sometimes like to live wild, so when I took my car into the dealer today to ask a few questions I decided to plug-in even though it was slightly raining. I had no issues getting a charge and I don't plan to make a habit of this. I wanted to get some free juice and the vehicles still under warranty. If I'm going to do it, it might as well be at the dealership right?

I will look for the covers mentioned just incase I need to charge in the rain again. Might even throw some Saran wrap in the trunk too.

Great idea TX NRG!

Edited by FusionEnergi

• 6 months later...

I charged mine overnight while it rained.  No problem.  By looking at the connector on the vehicle side it appears as though that bottom channel will drain any water out.

On a side note, has anyone installed a Level 2 charger out in the open where it will get rained on?  I'm considering putting a Clipper Creek charger on a post near my driveway.  It's NEMA 4 rated for indoor and outdoor installs so it should be fine.

http://stores.homestead.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE%2C-Level/Detail.bok

Any further info on this charger would be great.  I see the input cable going into the unit from the top.  Can that be moved to come in from the bottom?

• 2 months later...

I've been charging outdoors since I got the car in September, but due to the drought in California (I'm in the Bay Area), have not had much rain. However, after 4 days of rain earlier this month, the charge door no longer springs open.

I suspect it's the lubricant, but before I try to lube it, I figured I'd check with the community to see of any others are experiencing this.

Thanks,

Bjorn