Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Just hit 800 miles and still have 1/8 tank - What does the Future Bring?

DAVE

My Fusion is still on it's first tank of gas from the dealership and just hit 800 miles on the odometer with 72 miles still left on gas. No question that this car works perfect for those quick trips around town and kids missing the bus in the morning - I also do a lot of mixed driving and wonder how this car would do on strict highway miles - say a 14 hour trip to Florida. Anyone reported their highway mileage in an extreme example like this?  

What does the Future bring ?

I had an opportunity to talk to both the Ford and Chevy factory engineers when I was at their exhibit areas at the Daytona 500 a few months ago (this when I first decided that the Energi was worth a serious look) . Lots of EV tech on display and Ford made a huge commitment to show people they are leading the pack at this years race. Both engineers mentioned that they expect that 3rd party after market companies will make replaceable battery kits (dealer installed?) as the volume of plug-in cars increases and technology advances. Can you imagine the "Copper Top" Duracell or Energizer Bunny add-on kits. I would think these companies would see this a huge partnering opportunity. (The Hyundai Sontata uses LG Lifetime batteries in their Hybrid cars)   No question that a car like the Energi getting double or triple the EV miles would get some attention. This could be a huge after market business. Of course, it would also depend on Ford and other companies to work together to insure that the cars firmware and other monitoring systems would be safe and compatible . I would have never thought this even possible as risks and liability concerns come to mind -Remember,  I only mention this as both the Ford and Chevy engineers mentioned it as a selling point to jump in now.

Dave

Using the adaptive cruise, even with lots of traffic, helps the mileage on the highway. But since being back home in L.A. and Including driving to Ventura(about 65 miles away) I'm at half full from filling up 2 weeks ago. The nice tech touches never cease with this car. If I'm at 0 EV miles the beast knows when I'm almost home and totally leans on the hybrid battery to climb the 3/4 mile hill to my home driveway. .

How are you calculating the hybrid mode mileage?

Very unscientifically.  My last car I always calculated using fillups.   But I had read that the mpg display on the FF hybrids are pretty close to what people are calculating using fillup amounts.   And the mpg figure rises very rapidly when I am solely using EV mode.  It falls quickly when I hit the highway in hybrid mode.   On my SF trip, after the first 200 miles or so, the mpg was pinned between 39.2 and 39.9mpg the entire time for the remaining 700 miles of my trip.    Whether I was driving around the city all day in Sonoma then SF, or heading back on the open road, the mpg did not vary.  I never plugged in until I returned back to L.A.  So take the figure as it is.

Edited by DelS

Very unscientifically.  My last car I always calculated using fillups.   But I had read that the mpg display on the FF hybrids are pretty close to what people are calculating using fillup amounts.   And the mpg figure rises very rapidly when I am solely using EV mode.  It falls quickly when I hit the highway in hybrid mode.   On my SF trip, after the first 200 miles or so, the mpg was pinned between 39.2 and 39.9mpg the entire time for the remaining 700 miles of my trip.    Whether I was driving around the city all day in Sonoma then SF, or heading back on the open road, the mpg did not vary.  I never plugged in until I returned back to L.A.  So take the figure as it is.

Thanks for the reply...

This is the reason I ask... It looks like the electric and gasoline MPG/MPGe are calculated separately by the car's trip computer. The problem is that when the ICE is on, hybrid/electric miles are added to electric only miles (there are no separate electric miles for hybrid power, to help the calculation of the car ICE MPG). I think this is why the MPG's are so low for me at around 28MPG. After my latest reset of the trip computer I have driven 467.2 Miles of which 370.3 have been EV, for a total of 96.9 ICE miles and I have used 3.49 gallons of gas, for a total of 27.76MPG.

Regards,

APM

Edited by apm

Thanks for the reply...

This is the reason I ask... It looks like the electric and gasoline MPG/MPGe are calculated separately by the car's trip computer. The problem is that when the ICE is on, hybrid/electric miles are added to electric only miles (there are no separate electric miles for hybrid power, to help the calculation of the car ICE MPG). I think this is why the MPG's are so low for me at around 28MPG. After my latest reset of the trip computer I have driven 467.2 Miles of which 370.3 have been EV, for a total of 96.9 ICE miles and I have used 3.49 gallons of gas, for a total of 27.76MPG.

attachicon.gifIMG_0990 small.jpg

Regards,

APM

I don't understand why we would want to separate ICE mpg and regen.  It sounds like your lumping regen in with EV.   Do hybrid car owners, Prius car owners separate out their regen miles from their ice only miles?  I don't believe it makes a difference, until you plug in.  Then it feels natural to me to separate the EV only miles.    On a long trip on the highway, the EV mles are negligible, and the regen miles are key.   My hemi shut down 4 cylinders at opportune times to get better hwy miles-- but there shouldn't be a reason to separate out those 4cylinder miles.    Hybrids are meant to use the regen miles to get the mpg figure of say, a Prius.   

Why break down any further than that?  

I don't say this directly to you, apm, but just in general discussion.  I appreciate your feedback and mileage figures for sure.

Edited by DelS

I don't understand why we would want to separate ICE mpg and regen.  It sounds like your lumping regen in with EV.   Do hybrid car owners, Prius car owners separate out their regen miles from their ice only miles?  I don't believe it makes a difference, until you plug in.  Then it feels natural to me to separate the EV only miles.    On a long trip on the highway, the EV mles are negligible, and the regen miles are key.   My hemi shut down 4 cylinders at opportune times to get better hwy miles-- but there shouldn't be a reason to separate out those 4cylinder miles.    Hybrids are meant to use the regen miles to get the mpg figure of say, a Prius.    

Why break down any further than that?  

Hi DelS,

I think that is the problem.... I don't want to separate ICE mpg and regen, but car the lumps the regen miles in hybrid mode with miles in pure EV miles, so there is not way to compute actual MPG on Hybrid mode. As it is I'm no where near the advertised MPG for the car. Adding the regen miles to the ICE miles during Hybrid mode would give a more accurate figure of Hybrid MP'G and make it easier to compare to Hybrid only cars.

Regards,

APM

Edited by apm

Hi DelS,

I think that is the problem.... I don't want to separate ICE mpg and regen, but car the lumps the regen miles in hybrid mode with miles in pure EV miles, so there is not way to compute actual MPG on Hybrid mode. As it is I'm no where near the advertised MPG for the car. Adding the regen miles to the ICE miles during Hybrid mode would give a more accurate figure of Hybrid MP'G and make it easier to compare to Hybrid only cars.

Regards,

APM

The EV Miles display is not going to distinguish which mode the vehicle was in when the EV Miles were accrued.   EV Miles come from many different sources, not just the Plug-In battery.

The easiest way to measure MPGs when in the hybrid modes is to switch to EV Later and reset the MPG gauge, or start your trip in EV Later and stay in that mode.

The EV Miles display is not going to distinguish which mode the vehicle was in when the EV Miles were accrued.   EV Miles come from many different sources, not just the Plug-In battery.

The easiest way to measure MPGs when in the hybrid modes is to switch to EV Later and reset the MPG gauge, or start your trip in EV Later and stay in that mode.

I'm assuming that when the High Voltage or EV battery is depleted, the car would operate the same as EV later mode?

• 2 weeks later...

I asked the dealer before it arrived to put premium fuel in it, but he forgot to stop at half a tank and filled it full. I heard/was told the higher octane will/may keep the fuel fresher slightly longer, I can not say it does. I didnt have to pay for it so why not.

I may end up putting in an additive to keep the fuel fresh if I dont siphon some out.

Edited by FusionEnergi

Just passed 1000 miles at more than 500 mpg so have used just less than 2 gallons of the first (dealer-filled) fuel tank

I have now developed the annoying habit (according to my wife) of seeking out an outlet in whatever place we park.  Most of my driving is local with the longest single trips being 35 miles or so.  Will put the car to test when I drive from DC to Newark NJ in a couple of weeks. Obviously going to bring the mpg way down from  525

still very much like the car. Very comfortable

I asked the dealer before it arrived to put premium fuel in it, but he forgot to stop at half a tank and filled it full. I heard/was told the higher octane will/may keep the fuel fresher slightly longer, I can not say it does. I didnt have to pay for it so why not.

I may end up putting in an additive to keep the fuel fresh if I dont siphon some out.

It is true that premium fuel will last a little longer before going stale. HOWEVER, in some areas the premium fuel is older when you pump it into your car as it is not as popular a fuel as the regular gas. Most everything I have read is that you will not get any benefit from burning premium, but cars designed for premium can be damaged from burning regular gas.

Most gas comes from the same place (regionally) so the main difference in brands is the additives they use. Although I understand that some discount gas is older then some of the name brand -- lately this has not been an issue due to the (manufactured) shortage of refined fuels.

Unless I am going on long trips I plan to put only brand name fuel, and probably only 7-8 gals next (first) time I fuel up.

I think the big thing you are referring to as far as premium fuels lasting longer, at least here in the Midwest, is their ethanol content. Some premium fuels contain no ethanol, while most others and all lower grades contain some and are up to 10% ethanol. Since ethanol attracts water, any fuel containing it will go bad far sooner than a premium that does not. Water-logged gas will also cause premature wear and ethanol is known to eat away o-rings and gaskets faster than non-ethanol fuels. I feel silly filling my gas can for the mower with premium, but its either that or deal with the additives that counteract this attraction. I've not done the math, but I think a gallon of premium is cheaper and easier than buying and adding the additives since I only use one or two gallons a year in the mower and snowblower.

Now, that would probably change on a full tank of gas for the Fusion, but since my wife has a long commute with it, we fuel it about once every two weeks, so I'm not concerned with gas going bad in it, so it gets regular. I don't think there is any reason to use a premium fuel in a vehicle that only needs regular, other than to mitigate staling due to ethanol content and (to a lesser extent) volatility of lesser grades.