Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Fob Problems

keyless entry push-button start

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 149 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, OH
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

6 days after getting the car we have experienced the "no key detected" problem. My wife have spend over an hour on the phone with the Ford tech trying to get it to start again but no luck.

So putting the key fob in the little pocket in the console didn't start the car?

Shadow Black Energi Titanium 2016 Fusion Energi
mr-fusion.jpg
"Gas?? Where we're going... We (Pretty much) don't need gas..."

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

This just happened to me today leaving work.
I held the unlock button down to lower all the windows as I approached the car. That all worked fine.
Then as I tried to start it, I got the "key not detected" message.
I tried everything. Lock, unlock... key fob was dead. Now I'm panicking. I get the owners manual out and it says to put it in the console pocket, and that works.
I pulled the keys out and put them in the cup holder as I drove away and got the key not detected message again so I put them back in the console and I got home.
Manual said sometimes things, like a cell phone can interfere with it. Seeing as though the lock/unlock button didn't work, I'm not buying it.
Also, my express up/down loses it's memory often. May be time to take it in...
clue how that pocket even works....

The saga continues.
It happened to my wife yesterday. 80 degrees and she unlocked by pulling on the handle.
So this proves it's not my individual fob and not related to rolling down all Windows with the fob.

mr-fusion.jpg

#23 OFFLINE   jcoop513

jcoop513

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

The situation has definitely improved with the new TSB: http://www.fordservi...tsb13-05-32.htm.  I'm no longer receiving the "no key detected" issue, but a couple times when it's been really hot out, I've noticed the car's beeped at me while getting in the car.  I think it's the beep that happens when you try to lock the car while the key is inside; a double beep.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  It's like there's a phantom hand on the door handle as I get in the car (sometimes).  This is a much more annoying problem.  However, the same increase in sensitivity means that when it's raining, the door handles go crazy locking and unlocking in the rain when I'm near the car.  This is the same issue as this topic: http://www.fordfusio...le-touch-locks/.  I can no longer assume that when I lock it when near the car, it will stay locked as I walk away.  This seems to be a pretty serious security issue.  Anyway, I'm going to try to figure out what's going on, and how often it happens before I talk to the dealer again.

The key issues from before happened regardless of a USB device plugged in.  The only difference is that if I plug in my android phone to the USB to charge, it is pretty much guaranteed to crash and reboot SYNC.

Edited by jcoop513, 06 June 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   Km4304

Km4304

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLas Vegas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

The situation has definitely improved with the new TSB: http://www.fordservi...tsb13-05-32.htm.  I'm no longer receiving the "no key detected" issue, but a couple times when it's been really hot out, I've noticed the car's beeped at me while getting in the car.  I think it's the beep that happens when you try to lock the car while the key is inside; a double beep.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  It's like there's a phantom hand on the door handle as I get in the car (sometimes).  This is a much more annoying problem.  However, the same increase in sensitivity means that when it's raining, the door handles go crazy locking and unlocking in the rain when I'm near the car.  This is the same issue as this topic: http://www.fordfusio...le-touch-locks/.  I can no longer assume that when I lock it when near the car, it will stay locked as I walk away.  This seems to be a pretty serious security issue.  Anyway, I'm going to try to figure out what's going on, and how often it happens before I talk to the dealer again.

The key issues from before happened regardless of a USB device plugged in.  The only difference is that if I plug in my android phone to the USB to charge, it is pretty much guaranteed to crash and reboot SYNC.

Thanks for the information. I'll be taking my fusion in soon.

#25 OFFLINE   jcoop513

jcoop513

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

So the TSB did seem to solve the problem with the "no key detected" and the handles being unresponsive.  At least it doesn't seem to have happened since I got it back.  The car beeping at me was the key button being pressed in my pocket as I got into the car (I think).  I'm still trying to verify that for sure.  Now that the car is actually responding to key presses, the gigantic key with the huge buttons that are easy to accidentally press is revealing that hidden problem.  The sensitivity is a definite an issue in the rain, but something I can deal with.  Three times now I've noticed the car has unlocked itself as I've walked away from it in the rain.  I just need to remember to pull out my remote and lock the car after walking away if it's raining out.

Now I just need to find a small box or solid cover to put the key in so the buttons don't get pressed in my pocket...  That was a terrible design. It happened to me maybe once every couple years with the last key remote I had...

Those of you having issues with the key not working may be successful if you take it to the dealer, though.  Let us know if it works for you.  Good luck.

#26 OFFLINE   shaggy314

shaggy314

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 657 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCentral Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi, 65k miles 98.5 MPGe
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Now I just need to find a small box or solid cover to put the key in so the buttons don't get pressed in my pocket... That was a terrible design. It happened to me maybe once every couple years with the last key remote I had...

There are a couple on ebay. Two I like were one where the FOB rotates out of a leather cover and a silicon one that covers everything.

http://www.ebay.com/...d=321058540319

Edited by shaggy314, 15 June 2013 - 08:53 AM.

178796.png

Fusion Energi [P0S, J4, 800A, 53B, 60N, 13B]
Ordered: 10-Jan-2013   Built: 24-May-2013   Delivered: 7-JUN-2013 (149 days); 14 miles @ full charge

#27 OFFLINE   rprobst

rprobst

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 160 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPalo Alto CA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

I am using a hearing-aid case that just barely holds my Fusion fob, the fob for my wife's Prius and the ChargePoint card. It zips open, but I almost never open it -- both cars can see the fob through the case, and for ChargePoint I just hold the case up to the reader. Every once in a while I zip open the case to open the windows and moonroof to cool off the car before getting in.

I never have a problem with accidental button pushes.

#28 OFFLINE   TX NRG

TX NRG

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 197 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationDFW
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Test drove an Energi Titanium this evening and did not have the "no key detected" problem. After the papers were signed, it was prepped, and we walked thru the orientation with it being charged, I attempted to back out and drive away. Had the "nkd" error twice before getting off the lot. Was able to start it after a minute, turned around and let the sales guy know, then asked him to show me where in the console to place the fob to override the problem. Wife had already left with the other fob. Car had only 16 miles on it. Temp had dropped to the low 90s by then. If I wasn't aware this was a known problem from these forums I would have been tempted to hand him back the fob and the car and tear up the sale.

Going back to the dealer for the tint and splash guards next week so I'll ask for the 5-32 TSB fix to hopefully resolve this.
226923.png

#29 OFFLINE   Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Happened to me again, and once again, it was on a warm day, upper 80's, and I did the double unlock / roll down all windows with the key fob.

But other days this week it was just as warm, but I didn't do the express all down, and all was fine.  Crazy...

mr-fusion.jpg

#30 OFFLINE   shaggy314

shaggy314

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 657 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCentral Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi, 65k miles 98.5 MPGe

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

We had two days over 100 this week and I haven't had that happen yet (know on wood). I never put the windows down using the FOB, so maybe you are on to something with that...

178796.png

Fusion Energi [P0S, J4, 800A, 53B, 60N, 13B]
Ordered: 10-Jan-2013   Built: 24-May-2013   Delivered: 7-JUN-2013 (149 days); 14 miles @ full charge

#31 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

If the 12 volt battery is already low on charge and a global open is done that is 5 motors running at the same time.  That load may trigger the car's battery protection mode due to low voltage.  When the load is removed the battery voltage will recover after a few seconds.  My 12 volt battery is always low because for the most part I only do short trips.  The longest regular trip is 11 miles.  I quite often find my 12 volt battery with less than 50% charge.  Measuring the battery voltage drop, while global open is in progress, is the next test I am going to run.

#32 OFFLINE   TX NRG

TX NRG

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 197 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationDFW

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

Have not experienced the NKD problem since my initial departure attempt from the dealer. Went back to the dealer today for the tint and splash guards and asked for the 5-32 TSB RTM update. After checking, they said it already had the latest version 85.3 RTM update.

My theory on my NKD occurrence is it might have been due to a low battery condition. When I test drove it, it only had 13 miles on it and about 2 miles of charge left so it probably had a few short test drives under its belt and a lot of sitting with the AC on and people checking out the MFT and other electronic toys. The 12V was probably low as it didn't get much chance to recharge.

I can see how the global open could trigger this with a depleted 12V and a big current draw from the undersized battery (only 390CCA?). I can't test the windows for 3-5 days since they were just tinted. Wonder if they will beef up the 12V battery in the 2014s.
226923.png

#33 OFFLINE   Rhyalus

Rhyalus

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium 2013

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

Why do you guys think the 12V can be depleted?  I have been running my car for a week without being plugged in and have had no issues like this.  On the other hand, I don't use the "all windows down" trick.  My guess is that there is an issue with the programming.

The Energi can function forever without being plugged in.

R

#34 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

Because I don't drive my car for days at a time and there is a significant load on the 12 volt battery that is always there.  Think alarm system, data radio for myfordmobile, and who knows what else always has power.  When the charge level gets low enough the car goes into battery preservation mode.

It only takes a couple of days without using the car for the 12 volt battery to drop to the 50% charge level.

If the car is driven at least 25 miles every day there is not a problem.  That is sufficient to keep the 12 volt battery charged.

A run to the supermarket that is 2.6 miles away is not going to keep the 12 volt battery charged.

Keeping the car plugged in is the only way to keep the 12 volt battery charged in a days between drives situation.

#35 OFFLINE   Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

The 12v battery is always being charged, as I understand it. It's charged from the big battery, as there is no alternator.

My daily commute is 60 miles, and I experience this problem.

mr-fusion.jpg

#36 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

The 12v battery is always being charged, as I understand it. It's charged from the big battery, as there is no alternator.

It's only being charged when the car is in run mode.  Sitting in the garage with the car turned off and not connected to the external charger it is being discharged continuously by the always on electronics.  IMHO, as an electrical engineer (retired), the battery is too small for the application.  I wish I could find the specs for it because it also should be a deep discharge battery.  There is no need for a CCA rating for this battery.  What is needed is the Ampere-Hour rating but it's not on the battery.  It's a Ford proprietary battery.  It's not available from anyone but Ford.

#37 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,400 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

The reply I received from MyFord Mobile Support indicated that the 12 volt battery is charged when the car is plugged in, the charge mode is set to Value Charge, and the car is waiting to charge at the start of the high priority value charge window.

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#38 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

The reply I received from MyFord Mobile Support indicated that the 12 volt battery is charged when the car is plugged in, the charge mode is set to Value Charge, and the car is waiting to charge at the start of the high priority value charge window.

My car is not plugged in when the HVB doesn't need to be charged due to the high cost of electricity.  There is also no such thing as value charging where I live.  It's 16 cents per KWH 24/7/365 with the exception of June, July, August, and September when they give me a $20 per month rebate for allowing them to control my A/C compressor.  When they have a power emergency they cycle it on and off at 15 minute intervals.  There were no events in June so that's $20 free money for June.

#39 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,400 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

Note that chargers generally have Cold-Load Pickup.  If they are going to cycle your electricity at 15 minute intervals, the car cannot charge.  The charger will wait a random amount of time, from 2 to 20 minutes or so to begin charging after the power comes back on.

Edited by larryh, 04 July 2013 - 06:11 AM.

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#40 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Note that chargers generally have Cold-Load Pickup.  If they are going to cycle your electricity at 15 minute intervals, the car cannot charge.  The charger will wait a random amount of time, from 2 to 20 minutes or so to begin charging after the power comes back on.

They are not cycling my electricity.

The only thing being cycled is the A/C compressor for the house.  They control the on/off line to the compressor, that is driven by the thermostat, by radio control.

It's equivalent to changing the setting of the thermostat every 15 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·