Ford Fusion Energi Forum

120V CHARGING NOT FULLY CHARGING TO LIMIT AT 21 MILES

GRAYTAG

Hello,

I have my Fusion Energi only about 4 weeks now and charging with the 120v charger is not charging to the full charge to have a range of 21 miles. I have charge it overnight everynight sense and the range says only 17 mile at full charge. Does any one know why or how to fix this. I charge on average 10-11 hours a night. it would seem it should take a full charge by then. Inside on the ecoscreen it says full charge Battery @ 100%.  What am i doing wrong?

Hi Graytag,

You battery seems to be charging properly if you get the 100% charge indication.

The number of miles is an estimate by the car based on your driving habits. If you drive at highway speed on EV, your mileage will suffer significantly. Someone on this forum said quite eloquently "Speed Kills... the EV Range". Also if you use the climate control the EV range will be diminished. When my car is fully charged it show 25 miles, but I start driving and turn the AC on, the range will immediately drop by 2 or 3 miles.

Regards,

APM

I would set the Display Units for Fuel Economy to Fuel + Electric so that the car displays MPGe and then monitor the MPGe for your trips.  When I get more than 21 EV miles from the battery, the MPGe for the trip, when I turn off the car, is around 135 to 150 MPGe.  If I have the heater or air conditioner on, the MPGe is more like 95 and I am lucky to achieve 19 EV miles.

Larry

Hello,

I have my Fusion Energi only about 4 weeks now and charging with the 120v charger is not charging to the full charge to have a range of 21 miles. I have charge it overnight everynight sense and the range says only 17 mile at full charge. Does any one know why or how to fix this. I charge on average 10-11 hours a night. it would seem it should take a full charge by then. Inside on the ecoscreen it says full charge Battery @ 100%.  What am i doing wrong?

I responded to your post in the other thread here: http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/772-ford-fusion-energi-real-ev-battery-range/?p=3888

Hello,

You are confusing the 'Predicted Range' display with the battery level.    You are not doing anything wrong and you are getting 100% charge based on the center screen.

The 'Predicted Range' display is merely a prediction of how many miles you might go on the current charge level based on current load demands and recent driving style.

Think of it as a little more accurate than the weather guy. Both are based on the past and a fairly decent guess as to what will happen.

Also think 'computer progress bars'... an estimate, but only hindsight is 20/20.

It should get more accurate as it learns your driving. I think one of the Ford Fusion Owner Youtube videos talks about it.

When I use the car on the weekend, I'm pretty liberal with the gas pedal, using up more energy since I'm only going on short trips and charging back up. Come Monday morning, the battery is lower (between 21 and 23)

But by the middle of the work week, I'm back up to 28 consistently, with one time getting a 30 (pic attached)

My commute is 58.3 miles, no charging at work.

Also, I keep the tires at 45 psi and always 98%+ brake score

post-48-0-96953900-1368879580_thumb.jpg

I'd say half is commute is on gas, but bear in mind, the MPG number does not factor the electricity used at all, so I'd expect his MPG number to be higher (unless his trips were longer).  To see a more accurate representation of all the energy he used, he could switch to MPGe.

My round trip commute is going to be only 12 miles, so my MPG numbers are going to be insane, but my MPGe numbers will be much lower.

Mr. Fusion, how fast do you drive to work (the 58 miles)?  Is that one way?

I don't get how your avg MPG can be so high when most of your commute is on gas...?

R

8 of the 29 miles are city, then I set the cruise at 62 on the highway. Attached are my to and from summary pics from a few days ago. 50 degrees in the morning, low 80's in the afternoon.

post-48-0-72248200-1368882513_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-79087600-1368882524_thumb.jpg

I don't get how your avg MPG can be so high when most of your commute is on gas...?

R

Here is an example of mpgs with no plug-in energy used from the big battery (0.0kWh used), this is 100% hybrid mode over 50 miles of mostly highway.

gallery_50_12_11298.jpg

This is part of what makes the Fusion Energi so special and so unique.  You have the benefit of an EV but you aren't range limited, and you aren't penalized with poor mpgs when the big battery is depleted like the Volt is. 

When the plug-in battery is depleted (or if you choose to save your EV miles for later), you still have a very efficient hybrid mode to use.

Part of the fun of the NRG is optimizing the mpgs by choosing which mode to be in. 

Edited by Energized

I get the 46.7, but not the 115+ on a longer trip...  I think his commute was not as long as I thought on gasoline.

R

If you were talking about the 115 mpg on my pic showing 30 miles on a charge, that's not one trip. It's my running average at the time. My weekends are full of short, full EV trips which bring up that average.