Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sync Performing Scheduled Maintenance

larryh

Today, while I was stopped a stop light, the radio suddenly stopped and the MyFord Touch screen went blank.  A minute later the screen came back and displayed Sync Performing Scheduled Maintenance.  I assume that sync crashed and was rebooting.  I would hardly call a system crash scheduled maintenance--it is unscheduled maintenance.

Also, I have noticed that Nav doesn't seem to work reliably.  There multiple times when it refused to accept commands from the steering wheel controls and voice commands, but would accept them when entered from the MyFord Touch screen.  When using voice commands, it would say that I am too close to my destination when the destination is 30 miles away. 

The POI (Points Of Interest) are also unreliable.  I ask for a hardware store, it directs me to a shopping center that has no hardware store.  I select another one close by, it has me drive around the block and I end up at the same place that I started when it says that I have arrived at my destination.   Who provides the POIs?  Sirius Travel Link?  They should make sure that the entries are accurate so people don't end up driving around in circles looking for things that don't exist. 

Ford/Microsoft still have a lots of bugs to fix with Sync.

Edited by larryh

Larry, I don't know if you were following the news several months ago, but Ford had a horrific PR issue with this crappy software.

What we are using now is the "re-release" but it still has issues as you describe.  Personally, I believe that the navigation even when working at its best SUCKS compared to google navigation on my android phone.  The only reason I bought it was to easily have a map on my screen and to see what streets I was on, etc.

Voice commands with the nav are generally useless.

Believe it or not, this software is much more stable than it was a year ago. (AC used to turn on by itself, the system would crash often, bluetooth would just stop working for a day or two, etc....)

Sorry if my posting is not all that useful on the subject... the bottom line is that the software is better than it was but there is a lot to be desired.

R

Edited by Rhyalus

Haha! Right, Sync Performing Scheduled Maintenance... This has to be some of the most poorly written piece of software in the field. It crashes... I mean performs maintenance at the most odd times! I actually saw it segmentation fault once before going to that maintenance screen. 

MFT is probably my biggest disappointment in this car. I am guessing they had a completely different vendor program the console and coaches, which is by far the best interface I have seen in a car.

There are many many posts about the Nav system in all of the C-Max and Fusion forums. Count yourself lucky that the GPS actually shows where you are.

There is an area I go to on a regular basis that is guaranteed to get me a 'Navigation Loading' message, and sometimes cause the system to crash. I think that section of teh map may be a corrupt file.

The speech recognition is pretty horrible.

Guest drfeltersnatch

mine did this when we were traveling the other day. all buttons stopped working, screen went black. ford logo came on, sync logo, then it started back up. it also started to navigate to the last destination we had which was random. lol

I talked to the dealer about this.  They said that the system reboots itself under various conditions.  Apparently the work around for poorly written software is to reboot frequently before things really get bad and the system actually crashes (hence the term "scheduled maintenance").   I guess that is typical of Microsoft. You have to reboot Windows when things aren't working as expected and at least once a week as performance starts to degrade.  They should have hired a different company to do the Sync Software.

As for out of date POI NAV information, that is probably stored on the SD card.  So unless you keep buying updates, the POI information is going to become more and more out of date with time.   As was my experience, some of the data is already obsolete before you even get the latest SD card.

Edited by larryh

I believe Microsoft provided the operating system and Ford and other vendors developed the interface.  I'm sure they all share some of the blame.   In safety critical applications such as this, the operating system should never crash and needs to be tolerant of faults in both the hardware and the software.  No matter how poorly the application software is written, the operating system should never crash.  However, you can only protect against so many hardware failures and hardware driver bugs.  I'm not sure what Performing Scheduled Maintenance means, if the operating system crashed or just the application software crashed.

Ford is ultimately responsible for integrating all the hardware/software from the various vendors and the final product.

Edited by larryh

By the way, does anyone know how to manually reboot the system?

R

Page 321 of Owner Manual under "System Settings"

The Advanced menu allows you to access and set prompts, languages, defaults, perform a master reset, install an application and view system information.

However that will wipe out your phone pairing and any navigation locations... to perform a reboot without doing a master reset, see this topic on the hybrid forum:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6474-how-to-reset-myford-touch-wout-losing-your-presets/

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've had this crashing system maintenance BSOD problem several times, and the main thing that would almost guarantee it would be to plug in my phone to the USB.  One time I did that, the sync system crashed 6 times in a row, then went black and stayed off until I restarted the car.  I brought it up with the dealer and they applied the following generic catch-all nav/radio/etc TSB: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3580/tsb13-08-02.htm

I haven't verified it yet, but hopefully it helps some of you (for some of the causes) if you're still having crashing problems.

• 2 years later...