Ford Fusion Energi Forum

What's the highest EV range you've seen on the dash?

Mr. Fusion

The 43 mile EV range was from a lot of short, lower speed trips to local places like the grocery store, gym, post office etc.    All lower speed city miles with high 90% brake scores and no heat or A/C required.

For prospective buyers, I would consider this an anomaly.  The EPA estimates "up to 21 miles,"    although I always get better than 21.

After a couple days of driving, mine went to 28 miles and it seems to be staying there.  Last 3 days have been at 28... not sure what other factors you guys are doing to get it over that magical 30 number. :)  I did inflate my tires to 45psi.  Dash currently says I have an average of 156MPGe.  So far, that has blown the minds of at least 5 people at work... gave rides to 3 of them and I just love that look of stun when we roll away with zero engine noise.

The most likely factor to get it over 30 is a lower average vehicle speed assuming your braking scores are good.

It's obviously based on history, but I can't figure out from exactly when.

It's Friday morning, and my dash says 30 miles.

Last Sunday and Monday I was local driving hitting speeds in the low 50 MPH range.

But Tuesday through Thursday is my 60 mile daily work commute with 40+ miles at highway speeds. I set the cruise at 62 mph.

I even used AC on the way home yesterday.

My brake scores are always in the high 90s.

I really think the 50 psi in the tires is the difference.

My brake score is usually 98% or better.  On the bright side, it did give me 30 miles yesterday... at least until I went out there to try to figure a feature out (I kept the car plugged in and put it in run accessory mode) and now it's back to 28.  It's funny how the car is teasing me now.

My commute to work is no faster than 45mph.  Speed limit is 40 on most roads and I go along at around 42, and one road is 45 and I do 45.  My coach bars are all completely full (I was already a pretty conservative driver even before I got the Energi).  I'm thinking its because it's so much stop and go.  I manage to hit pretty much every red light on the way to work (very annoying) and that does cost additional energy to stop and re accelerate.  I use Enlighten mode and I typically keep my acceleration very reasonable.  I do fall behind some of the more lead footed drivers.  I typically never go over the second notch for energy draw.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota last weekend. Going down a lot of hills alot of braking I got up to I think 42 EV miles. It was crazy. If I would have had flat terrain after that it would have been great but i used it up driving around all day.

With 4 people in the car, going 75 on interstate against a 20-30 mph wind gusts we averaged just over 38 mph.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We hit 43 "EV miles" on the traction battery display when we descended Pikes Peak two weeks ago on our cross-country trip.  We had about three miles to go on the 18-mile Pikes Peak road.  However, based on Ev use on the flat roads immediately afterward, we really got 23 EV miles of actual use, granted, at Colorado freeway speeds.  This is described in my post in the "Anyone taken a cross country trip?" thread.

Interestingly, once the battery reached the 43 "EV miles" and its display showed a completely full load, it refused to take any more juice even though the regen brake system kept generating more juice in that last 3-mile section.

About a week before, in central Wyoming, descending the western side of US 16 through the Bighorn Mountain range, we reached 37 "EV miles" on the display.  That descent on US 16 is a loooong steady 31-mile slope through a wide canyon.  By the time we finished that segment and emerged onto flatlands, the traction battery was only about 3/4 full when it hit the 37 mile value.

43 range

I was also able to achieve 43 on the predicted range after my trip through the mountains. The car is still working towards predicting my real range of about 21-23 again as I settle back into the weekly routine.

This car is really impressive on long trips. So far I have seen 46mpg on a trip up 95, and 43mpg on a trip through the mountains. And this is with out trying, I am sure I could do better if challenged... but I am driving the car similarly to my last one on trips (braking is different, and I try to be careful on the acceleration, but still scooting down the road.)

I also pulled into a rest stop in WV around the New River Gorge and saw a Ford engineering team testing what looked to be a next generation Mustang and Edge. They were completely covered in the black wrap, but still cool to see they were in the mountains testing the vehicles.  I got a smile from one of the engineers when they noticed I was driving an energi.

• 4 months later...

I've never seen anything higher than 28. I'm currently ranked third in my region for "Renaissance Man," so my driving is pretty solid, and I really do get about 28 miles on a very regular basis, but I've never seen one of these inflated estimates. In fact, I quite regularly get a couple more miles than my estimate gave in the morning when I set out.