Ford Fusion Energi Forum

HOV Stickers - How long to get from purchase and where did you place them

Steeler75

Bought my Energi 10 days ago and I'm already biting at the bit to get the HOV stickers.  Need plates before sending in the application :(  How long does the process take and is there a consensus about where is the best location to place them on the Energi to be in compliance yet not damage the paint?

Thanks all.

Weird thing: I just received my pink slip but the plates haven't showed up yet. First time that they have been delivered separately, at least for me.

I don't think there is any way to mount the stickers without putting them on the plate. You are required to put them on the fenders and bumpers. We get the green stickers which requires 4 on the car. Pollution free cars get white stickers and only require three.

Boy will those green stickers go well on my Ruby Red Energi. NOT!

In New York, the situation is different.

I had to wait until I got my permanent registration (i.e., not the temporary), and I applied at the DMV website.

They provide great service which is surprising.  The application was answered within a few hours (not the 5 days they warn about), and I will get my free stickers in 7-10 days.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass

R

Picked up my Energi on April 1. Received registration in 4 weeks. Waiting 2 weeks for receipt of the HOV sticker(s).

Looking everyday for the sticker but honestly no idea how long Calif is going to take to process the paper.

Keep us apprised of when you receive it and how you decide where exactly to place them to comply yet not look too bad.

Thanks.

Just received my stickers today.  It took about 4 weeks from the day I mailed in the app and my 8 bones.  I guess I'll have to slap them on.   One small green sticker on right side of each bumper.   Ugh they are pathetically ugly.   Good thing I won't see them from the driving position-- but I am happy(and proud) to have them.

You guys should not be waiting so long for your registration.

I bought the car on Sunday. My dealer (Capitol Expressway Ford in San Jose) hand-delivered the paperwork to DMV.  The dealer FedEx'd a copy of the registration to me, and I got it Wednesday.  Mailed off my sticker application this morning (Thursday).

Talk to your dealer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok get ready for an HOV horror story. I love my car but I am very frustrated that I still don't have my HOV stickers at 6 weeks. Due to an apparent clerical error by the dealer, I won't be getting HOV stickers any time soon. The dealer fouled up the title and registration under propulsion set it to G instead of Q. So now because of this the DMV won't send me the stickers, and it is now my responsibility to fix it. Even though there is NO paper title, it's an electronic title they can't just fix the record at the DMV, and because I financed the car, but paid it off, I have to wait until the bank releases the title to me, then go back to the dealer to get a statement of fact for (reg 256) then send it all back in.... So I probably won't get these stickers for another month at best. When I told the dealer they weren't even apologetic.... I'm actually really pissed that I have to deal with this because its nothing I should have known.

Moral of the story....MAKE SURE the dealer doesn't register the car as gas!!!!!

My other concern now is if my $1500 CA rebate check will get held up, although I did hear I was approved.... The VIN has the fuel type encoded, so apparently the alternative energy project is better organized against this problem than the DMV is..... So frustrating!!!!!

• 1 month later...

In Maryland, the dealer can apply for the HOV sticker at time of sale, but most do not know that. I can also go to the MVA online page and complete the form and mail it in (takes a few weeks, but no cost and good through 2017 (I replaced the one picture with a 9/2017 one)): http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/27300/27300-54T.htm

IMG_4815.JPG

Love that Maryland plate!   Here in Georgia there are no stickers, you must get an Alternative Fuel license plate.  The process involves  the dealer specifying a particular "fuel type" when they send in the registration and the owner also signing an affidavit that they will use an alternative fuel at least 85% of the time.  However, if you have a plug-in hybrid (perhaps with the exception of the Volt, presumably because of its range, but I'm not sure about that) our DOT defaults the fuel type back to regular hybrid under the assumption that most people have to commute far enough that they can't meet the 85% test.  I know "bizarre".  However, the surprising thing is that if the owner takes the initiative to email DOT (the address is publicly posted) and says they can meet the 85% test -- in my case by explaining that I use our subway to commute to work -- you then get an almost immediate response (less than 30 minutes in my case) and the AF plates, You can then drive on the HOV lane without a passenger.  

BTW, I would rarely do that.  I wanted the plate so that everyone behind me would know that, yes, people are driving AF cars!

Edited by markb

• 1 month later...

Hmm....Well Im in California and purchased my 2014 Energi 11 days ago.....My dealer filled out the form for my HOV sticker and I just signed and they sent it for me....

Im a little worried now becuase some of you said that you have to wait for your permanent registration or plates....is my dealer on crack or maybe my dealer is just knows what they are doing?

Also, is there a way to check the status of an ap with DMV?

Edited by JesseDiaz

Hmm....Well Im in California and purchased my 2014 Energi 11 days ago.....My dealer filled out the form for my HOV sticker and I just signed and they sent it for me....

Im a little worried now becuase some of you said that you have to wait for your permanent registration or plates....is my dealer on crack or maybe my dealer is just knows what they are doing?

Also, is there a way to check the status of an ap with DMV?

Jesse - there is a guy here from CA (Fat Fusion?) who had a dealer that did the same.  He received his in a couple weeks.  I, on the other hand, did not have a dealer that did this.  I had to wait 4 weeks for my registration and immediately sent out the form.  It has been 3 weeks today since I sent it in, and my check has yet to be cashed...   :-(