Ford Fusion Energi Forum

"Battery Saver System" error message due to car sitting?

howardbc

Hi. I know this subject has been mentioned before, but the Search function doesn't ever pull up what I want to find. Any tips/suggestions on what I might do are welcome. 

Anyhow, I had the "Battery Saver System" (error?) message come on last week for just a couple of seconds. So I took the car into the dealer this morning and spoke to a senior service adviser I've worked with before.

When I explained that the car had been sitting for at least 5 days when the error message came up, he said that was the likely cause and to drive the car frequently. I usually do but was stuck at home because I was having the inside of my home painted. I usually drive my car at least every 3rd day if not every day. 

Anyone else have the Battery Saver System message come up? And do you have any different feedback as to its cause? I live in the Phoenix-area and it is extremely hot here - well over 100 degrees. My car sits in a covered garage but it's not air-conditioned and sometimes it's hotter in the garage than it is outside. 

There is apparently a significant load on the 12 volt battery when the car is turned off.  I have seen the message after two days.  I had the TSB installed and it made little difference.  It may be necessary to leave the charger connected when the car is going to sit for a while.  It appears that at the end of charging the HV battery it then charges the 12 volt battery.

I sat in my garage while fiddling with the MFT (after I turned off the car, but before I opened the door), and after about 4 or 5 minutes, it gave me the battery save warning.  I plugged the car in and went back inside.  Once I got in it the following day, it briefly came up and then went away and I haven't seen it since.

I have never seen that message. I was gone for two weeks recently but left the charger plugged into the car while I was gone so that may be why I didn't get the message, if you follow murphy's usually right on logic.

For those who are seeing lower than 21 mile charge times, when I got into my car this morning, with the AC off, I had 28 miles showing on my screen and the second I turned the AC on it dropped to 22 miles. It just shows how much juice the temp control uses and that the miles available really is just a system guestimate.