Ford Fusion Energi Forum

How do you get the fan to vent air without heat or AC on?

Nherring

I'm trying to figure out how to get the fan on to vent fresh air from outside when no AC is needed but even when I turn off AC it's clear the AC system is cooling and the battery is getting sucked down more than would be caused by just running the fan alone. Anyone succeeded in this? Running the AC when it's 70 degrees out makes no sees.

Turn off the AC.  Then select the Panel and/or Floor vent options from the Climate screen on MFT.  Set the temperature to minimum.  I usually use voice commands to set the vent and temperature controls:

"Climate", "Panel On"

"Climate", "Floor On"

"Climate", "Temperature Low"

Edited by larryh

It doesn't matter how easy you make it with various workarounds.  It will never be as easy as simply pressing the AC touch button to turn the AC off.  Unfortunately, that is not what Ford has given us.

The A/C On/Off button does operate in Manual mode. 

One only needs to go into Manual mode once and it stays in Manual mode allowing full manual control of the A/C.   While in Auto mode, the system is going to automatically run the A/C or Heater when it needs to get to the set temp.

I'm surprised people haven't mentioned the heater operation yet and the lack of a Heater on/off button.  

The A/C On/Off button does operate in Manual mode. 

One only needs to go into Manual mode once and it stays in Manual mode allowing full manual control of the A/C.   While in Auto mode, the system is going to automatically run the A/C or Heater when it needs to get to the set temp.

I'm surprised people haven't mentioned the heater operation yet and the lack of a Heater on/off button.  

Its not been cold enough for anyone to notice it, I guess.

• 3 months later...

I am getting a 240v Charging station so I can precondition my car for those cold mornings we have coming up. I might even leave it on the charger at work so I can precondition there. Otherwise I suspect I will do without except for the heated seats, my coat and gloves. I love driving into work on a single charge.

Father Bill

Father Bill, you should be able to set a Go Time even without a 240v charging station, right? I have mine set to 82 degrees at 7:45am, and the car is nice and toasty when I get in. I just hope that heat lasts long enough to get me to work without any extra AC/heat.

Yeah, I know that I can set Go Times now but the 110V charger can't provide enough juice to sustain that without using some HVB power. I am trying to get max range on EV. When I get the 240V installed I will then experiment with Go Times.

Pax.

Father Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it matters if you are in manual mode or not, the AC or heat will come on 

anyway, if you push the wrong button.

I am here in the San Jose CA area so AC is the only EV lowering issue.

By watching the EV mileage indicator drop down 4-7 miles, (it drops 4 miles for my car) 

and turning on and off various climate controls you can see the effect of each choice.

If I turn it on manual and set the temperature to low the panel or floor vent works without AC.

Sometimes I can have the temperature to 70 and the AC doesn't come on, but sometimes it does.

Is there a temperature sensor that compares the outside and inside temperature and then turns on the AC or heat is there is certain amount of difference?

Maybe their is a delay in the temperature reading above Low or 59, before it starts the AC?

What irritates me the most is that the climate system seems to have a mind of its own.

There seem to be so many combinations of settings. 

I would be fascinated to know how this bad of a design ever got made?

Another issue is the seat warmer coming on automatically when adjusting the volume control.

Edited by jgcec@yahoo.com

I'm still trying to figure out my Go Time heating issue.  If it's 40+ degrees outside, I can remote start my car (parked outside) and within 5-10 minutes the car is warm and I have only observed the ICE running once.  If, it's below 40 and I park in the garage and set a Go Time to 72 degrees.  The car blower is on, but there is absolutely no heat.  Is there an issue with my car or myfordmobile account?  There's so much technology here, I can't figure out if it's the way that I'm using it, the way it's programmed, or an error.  Any ideas are much appreciated.  

• 7 months later...

I'm still trying to figure out my Go Time heating issue.  If it's 40+ degrees outside, I can remote start my car (parked outside) and within 5-10 minutes the car is warm and I have only observed the ICE running once.  If, it's below 40 and I park in the garage and set a Go Time to 72 degrees.  The car blower is on, but there is absolutely no heat.  Is there an issue with my car or myfordmobile account?  There's so much technology here, I can't figure out if it's the way that I'm using it, the way it's programmed, or an error.  Any ideas are much appreciated.  

I had a similar problem. On 2013 FFE when I set Go Time and the car is plugged into a 240v charger nothing would happen. I would come up to the car in the predetermined time and see that energy is being drawn from the charger (my charging station has an indicator), but the blowers are not on and the car is stone cold. I took it to the dealer with this complaint and here is what I discovered:

1. Dealer had no idea what "Go Times" is in the first place. After explaining to them the feature I left the car.

2. When I picked up the car the explanation that was given to me was the following. "The feature works as designed. Preconditioning heats the coolant and not the cabin." I call bullshit for 3 reasons: a) This is not described in the manual as heating the coolant. b) that is just a stupid way to implement preconditioning. Why not just heat/cool the cabin itself. c) I since replaced the car under lemon law only to discover that in 2014 FFE this feature works as expected. The cabin is being cooled/heated.

Talk to your dealer, but don't let them send you away with the answer they gave me of "heating the coolant".

I'm trying to figure out how to get the fan on to vent fresh air from outside when no AC is needed but even when I turn off AC it's clear the AC system is cooling and the battery is getting sucked down more than would be caused by just running the fan alone. Anyone succeeded in this? Running the AC when it's 70 degrees out makes no sees.

Here is what I do (assuming the goal is to not draw "climate" energy in EV mode):

1. Start HVAC system

2. Hit A/C button to turn off A/C and this also puts the HVAC into manual mode

3. Turn on foot and windshield vents (but don't turn on windshield vents alone as this considered a defrost and automatically starts ICE)

4. Lower the temperature to say "LOW"

5. Optionally put the fan into the lowest position.

this works for both seasons. the only problem is that in the winter if you do this, you are sucking in cold air from the outside thus it will be freezing in the car.

I found this annoying simply because if I don't do the above, the windshield starts to fog up a few minutes into the ride. It seems that if the system is completely off there is no outside air coming in at all, not even by virtue of moving vehicle and air simply getting through the vents without the fan. Instead, the vents appear to be completely sealed when the system in completely off regardless of the setting of the "recirculation" button.