Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Foam sticking out between dash and windshield

GregKet1

I saw several posts about this on the other Fusion forums, but not since last November/December or so, which made me think it was a small issue early in the build year that was since improved... maybe not in every case I guess.  If you can't (or don't want to) push it down into the groove like FusionEnergi did, you can go to the dealer and have them do it (which I think is what the dealers did for those early posters).

• 3 weeks later...

Just don't look at the front edge of your roof liner where it doesn't meet the front winshield. All the ones I've seen (including mine) have a frayed gap there.

Yep, mine had that - about a 3/4" fray on the front edge of the headliner right near the A-pillar on the passenger side.  I pointed it out when I got my 13-5-24 clicking TSB fix done and they glued it to keep it from fraying more.  Then looked at my wife's FFE, same fray in the exact same place.

Yep, mine had that - about a 3/4" fray on the front edge of the headliner right near the A-pillar on the passenger side.  I pointed it out when I got my 13-5-24 clicking TSB fix done and they glued it to keep it from fraying more.  Then looked at my wife's FFE, same fray in the exact same place.

Almost like there's a design issue huh? I'll ask about the glue it down when I get some work done.

Almost like there's a design issue huh? I'll ask about the glue it down when I get some work done.

Yep... there was a recall/customer satisfaction campaign (don't remember which) about headliner wrinkles, so I guess if you have the fabric too loose you get wrinkles and if you have it too tight you get fraying.  But one would think that the supplier who manages the processing of hundreds of thousands per year would have the secret to success on getting these together in just the right way...one would think.

• 1 year later...

Oh Joy!  I had TSB 14-0099 (musty smell from vents) fixed.  To do so required the entire dash be removed.  When they reassembled it they did something wrong and the foam which only barely showed in the past is now fully visible all the way across the dash.  They are saying that the foam somehow got mounted wrong and they need to replace it but they can't get just the foam from Ford so they aren't doing anything to fix it.

The more I deal with Ford Maintenance (both on this car and on my new 2013 Fiesta) the less happy I am.  Sucks!

Oh Joy!  I had TSB 14-0099 (musty smell from vents) fixed.  To do so required the entire dash be removed.  When they reassembled it they did something wrong and the foam which only barely showed in the past is now fully visible all the way across the dash.  They are saying that the foam somehow got mounted wrong and they need to replace it but they can't get just the foam from Ford so they aren't doing anything to fix it.

The more I deal with Ford Maintenance (both on this car and on my new 2013 Fiesta) the less happy I am.  Sucks!

Oh boy.  I'm having my musty vents fixed this Saturday.  This is part of my concern... making sure eveything gets put back together so it looks correct and there's no rattles, creeks, or squeeks. 

I'm sad to see you've been unhappy with your experience so far, GregKet1; I'm here to help! Please send me a PM with your name, best contact number, current mileage, VIN, and dealer info; I'm going to see how I can best assist. 

Oh boy.  I'm having my musty vents fixed this Saturday.  This is part of my concern... making sure eveything gets put back together so it looks correct and there's no rattles, creeks, or squeeks. 

Send me the same info, bwheetley (name, best contact number, current mileage, VIN, and dealer info); I'll see how I can help put your concerns to rest. 

Rachel :)

bwheetley, sometimes the cure is worse than the cause, I think I'd rather live with an occasional musty smell than risk dash removal...I've never found a dealer service staff that are nearly as good as the factory assembly teams...even with my Porsche and BMW dealers, service is no better.  I wish the manufactures had more quality control over the dealers...and just hope the day never comes where I have to take my FFE in for an issue with the HBV, or entire Plug in/Hybrid drive...

Isn't there a "disinfectant" spray made especially for auto HVAC systems that you spray into the intake area (first remove your cabin filter and with the fan on spray it into there) that will kill the bacteria causing the smell?  I have a musky/nasty smell in both my FFE and Porsche after I have been running the AC on a hot day then just use the fan...generally is gone by next time I drive the car...I'd try that before tearing the dash out, just my .02, good luck!

Edited by HotLap

@HotLap,

Unfortunately, if you are one of the ones blessed with the bad vent issue, there really is no "living with it"; it smells like a sewer.  Apparently they had some defective plastic.

@FordService,

I'm supposed to pick up my car today (again).  If it isn't right this time I'll get in touch.  Unless You want more info?  In which case, send me a PM with your contact info and I will call you.

@FordService,

I'm supposed to pick up my car today (again).  If it isn't right this time I'll get in touch.  Unless You want more info?  In which case, send me a PM with your contact info and I will call you.

How did it go at the dealer, GregKet1? 

I only operate via social media; feel free to send me a PM anytime.

Rachel

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my evaporator replaced.  Like other said, the entire dash was removed to do the repair.  Overall the service team did a good job.  No rattles or anything as of yet. 

@HotLap - Some of the best service I've ever got was when I had an Infiniti M Hybird.  They really went above and beyond to make you feel special and address your concerns.