Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fusion Energi Owner Survey

markb

Who Drives a Fusion Energi  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following best describes your view of climate change?

• I'm sure it is happening but I'm not certain of the cause
    • Im sure it is happening and is caused largely or entirely by human activities
    • I'm sure it is happening but I don't believe human activites are causing it
    • I'm uncertain as to whether it is happening
    • I don't believe we are experiencing global climate change
    • None of the above expresses my view
  2. 2. How far do you commute each day to work?

• Less than 10 miles
    • 10 - 20 miles
    • More than 20 miles
    • I don't commute, I work at home
    • I'm retired
    • I don't commute for some other reason
  3. 3. Which of the following were important to you in deciding to purchase a Fusion Energi?

4. 4. We all know that trunk space is an issue with the Energi, why were you able to overcome that?

• We/I have another car with plenty of hauling capacity when we/I need it
    • Most of the time it will have only me or one other person traveling so I can use the fold down rear seat
    • It's an issue but the other features of the car were enough that I will live with it
    • Other
  5. 5. Which of the following best describes you?

• Male, under 35, a technogeek
    • Male, 35-64, a technogeek
    • Male, over 64, a technogeek
    • Female, under 35, a technogeek
    • Female, 35-64, a technogeek
    • Female, over 64, a technogeek
    • Male, under 35, not a technogeek
    • Male, 35-64, not a technogeek
    • Male, over 64, not a technogeek
    • Female, under 35, not a technogeek
    • Female, 35-64, not a technogeek
    • Female, over 64, not a technogeek
    • None of the above

I have been invited to write something about the Ford Fusion Energi for a major blog.  I am an owner and have nothing whatsoever to do with the car industry, the advertising industry or anything related to either.  The more I thought about it and the more I read this board the more convinced I am that this is a very interesting group of people so I'd like to be able to describe us as a group.  I've given it thought so I could ask the best five questions and hope you'll be comfortable in responding to this poll.

Edited by markb

I'm surprised so many people are absolutely convinced about global warming let alone that it is caused by man.

Its a given fact that the climate changes over time but I'm not convinced that man can do much about it. I remain skeptical as the majority of the push seems to be political in nature and scientists and universities who want grant money from the governments of the world.  Turn on the news and all you hear is global warming caused my wife to divorce me or global warming caused me to abort my baby to reduce my carbon footprint, ect.  It's just a little ridiculous in my view.

Thirty years ago global cooling was going to kill us all.  One big hurricane and everyone rushes to blame global warming yet what about the big hurricane that happened 5 or 10 or 30 or 60 years earlier?  We all have short memories and emotions tend to persuade our thinking a little too much.

I am not sure that it is caused solely by man, but I am sure the rest of the industrialized nations were concerned about this decades before we even began to consider it could be real. This definitely makes me think about it. Especially, since the scientists have discovered a lot more carbon in the atmosphere than should otherwise be present. The earth is not exactly known for consistently producing tons of carbon.

I'd rather not start a political argument but here's a question for you.

What's the worst that'll happen if we go with the assumption that it's our doing and change our ways, investing and developing cleaner energy and stop polluting so much, but turn out to be wrong?

What's the worst that'll happen if we assume it's not our fault and keep going as we are, but turn out to be wrong?

The last 14 years have turned me off to politics and I don't like extremists on any side of the spectrum.

What you say makes pretty good sense.  We waste so much and pollute so much..just buying one of these cars and driving it around is a big eye opener.  There are definitely cleaner ways to create energy and more efficient ways to use it and I'm sure we could do it on a scale that would allow us to live pretty comfortably and not cost us a fortune. 

What drives people on the right crazy is they think the everyone on the left is an extremist who want us to go back to the stone age.  I guess the people on the left hate the right because they think they represent the destruction and raping of the earth. 

I'm surprised so many people are absolutely convinced about global warming let alone that it is caused by man.

Its a given fact that the climate changes over time but I'm not convinced that man can do much about it. I remain skeptical as the majority of the push seems to be political in nature and scientists and universities who want grant money from the governments of the world.  Turn on the news and all you hear is global warming caused my wife to divorce me or global warming caused me to abort my baby to reduce my carbon footprint, ect.  It's just a little ridiculous in my view.

Thirty years ago global cooling was going to kill us all.  One big hurricane and everyone rushes to blame global warming yet what about the big hurricane that happened 5 or 10 or 30 or 60 years earlier?  We all have short memories and emotions tend to persuade our thinking a little too much.

There is a pretty strong consensus on this matter...

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

http://epa.gov/climatechange/basics/facts.html

In case you're interested, here's my post on the plugincars.com blog run by Bradley Berman who wrote the NY Times review of the Fusion Energi.  Thanks to all who participated in my poll:

http://www.plugincars.com/fusion-energi-owner-defends-his-much-loved-plug-car-128194.html#comment-30748

Edited by markb

• 1 month later...

Here's my answers to the poll, as well as some commentary:

Which of the following best describes your view of climate change?

I'm sure it is happening but I'm not certain of the cause

Climate change has been happening since before man ever walked the earth.  To think that the climate has ever been "static" would be very naive.  I do think that all the fossil fuel burning has an impact, but how much of an impact it has, and how much we can realistically do as a WORLD full of people trying to make a better life for themselves and their family is certainly open for debate.  It's pretty sad when older people who have made a great life for themselves and generated a relatively large amount of wealth due to ignoring CO2 emissions over decades get preachy and tell developing nations and peoples that they can't do the same.  Plus, every single person I have ever met who drives an electric car or plug in lives in a house that is larger than they NEED and hops on an airplane to go on vacation.  It's extremely hypocritical in my opinion.

How far do you commute each day to work?

More than 20 miles

Just found out I'll be working in a building that has charging stations!

Which of the following were important to you in deciding to purchase a Fusion Energi?

Ford brand

I bought the Energi for two reasons.  First because I am getting carpool lane stickers.  That can't be overstated when commuting into and out of Silicon Valley every day.  The traffic is brutal and the economy is adding a ton of jobs each month.  Second because it is a Ford.  I'm a "Ford Guy."  I grew up with old Fords, have an old Ford, and likely will always drive Fords.  One of my favorite things to do is drive my dad's 103 year old Ford!

We all know that trunk space is an issue with the Energi, why were you able to overcome that?

We/I have another car with plenty of hauling capacity when we/I need it

One of my other Fords is a Crew Cab pickup truck.  If it doesn't fit in that, I have a car trailer as well.

Which of the following best describes you?

Male, 35-64, not a technogeek

Despite growing up in and around Silicon Valley, I'm not quite what I'd call a technogeek.  I do enjoy technology, but am rarely an early adopter.  In many ways I like to use very old technology.  Driving the Model T is one example.  To manually control things like spark advance and fuel mixture is fun!  Here I am in the '10 T.

LowlandTour2009.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How many miles does that Model T get on a full charge?

Haha on a full charge of gas you'd get at least 100 miles.  It's about 6 to 1 compression since the gas was pretty bad in those days.

On another note, somewhat EV related, my dad is one of the few people in the world currently converting an EV to GAS!!!  :drop:

So as not to deviate from the thread topic I'll start a new one here: http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1451-my-dad-is-converting-an-ev-to-gas/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...