Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Who Knew?

murphy

Ever since I got the car I have been holding the parking brake switch until the requested action was complete.

I recently discovered that holding the switch is not necessary.

To release the parking brake just push down and release the switch.

To apply the parking brake just pull up and release the switch.

Of course the brake pedal must be applied as always.

:doh:

That's funny murphy!

My old car had a foot parking brake pedal.  So with the fusion my brain struggled with "push" to release and "pull" to engage.  But then I heard it referred to as a "hand brake" so now it's easier for my brain to comprehend that pulling sets the brake and pushing releases it.

But here's the even better part for me....did you know that you do not have to release the parking brake?  You just put the car into gear and once you step on the accelerator the brake automatically releases.  I really like this feature.

The bad part is that when I drive my truck, I try to drive off without releasing the brake and the truck won't move!

• 2 months later...

But here's the even better part for me....did you know that you do not have to release the parking brake?  You just put the car into gear and once you step on the accelerator the brake automatically releases.  I really like this feature.

Is this a feature, or is it a safety override? From looking at the owners manual, I thought this was only to work as a backup in case you forgot to release it manually.

Maybe it doesnt matter either way, just not sure if its doing any other type of damage.

Is this a feature, or is it a safety override? From looking at the owners manual, I thought this was only to work as a backup in case you forgot to release it manually.

Maybe it doesnt matter either way, just not sure if its doing any other type of damage.

Pages 168-169 of the manual:

You can release the electric parking brake

either manually by pressing the switch or

automatically.

Page 169 of the manual explains the automatic release process.