Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford Leads Toyota in Hybrid Sales Once Again

jeff_h

Article retrieved from  http://wallstcheatsh...once-again.html

(though it kinda seems like the author thinks all Fusions are hybrids?)

Katey Troutman | More Articles

December 30, 2013

Toyota (NYSE:TM), famous for its Prius, is falling behind Ford (NYSE:F) in sales of hybrid vehicles in the United States. Ford said Monday that it will surpass 2.4 million in sales of its hybrid vehicles this year, as models such as the Ford Fusion and other hybrid units continue to experience record demand, Bloomberg reports. The 2013 totals are evidence of Ford’s success in recent years, as the American automaker outpaced Toyota in hybrid sales last year, as well.

Ford entered December leading Toyota in sales by 388,825 cars and trucks, making 2013 the fourth straight year that Ford took the top spot as the best-selling auto brand in the U.S., Bloomberg said. In 2012, Ford lead Toyota by a margin of 322,521 in sales.

In recent years, Ford has undergone a number of strategic changes under CEO Alan Mulally. One key to Mulally’s approach is narrowing the company’s focus to its namesake brand. As a result, Ford has sold off many of its former luxury brands like Jaguar, Land Rover, Astin Martin, and Volvo. The company also closed down the Mercury brand. Bloomberg reports that Ford has put renewed energy into producing models that are competitive, as well as refining the models it’s famous for, such as the ever-popular F-150 truck.

While Toyota is still set to beat Ford in U.S. light vehicle sales, Mulally’s strategy is working in the hybrid arena. The popular Fusion and hybrid models such as the Ford C-Max will boost the company to its highest level since 2000, reports Bloomberg. Ford also said it expects its hybrid sales to best 80,000, almost triple the company’s 2012 total.

The Ford Fusion, a gas-and-electric hybrid redesigned in 2012, is set to exceed 290,000 sales this year, per Bloomberg. In November, the Fusion surpassed its previous sales record set in 2011. The gains seen by the Fusion outstrip those of both Toyota’s equivalent model, the Camry, and Honda’s (NYSE:HMC) Accord by 1.3 percent and 11 percent, respectively.

Other hybrid models like Ford’s C-Max are experiencing slowing sales momentum leading up to the 2014 fiscal year after the company tweaked the model’s fuel efficiency rating, cutting its miles per gallon by 4 to 43 miles per gallon. Since then, the C-Max has had the three worst sales month since September, Bloomberg reports.

Edited by jeff_h

Article retrieved from  http://wallstcheatsh...once-again.html

(though it kinda seems like the author thinks all Fusions are hybrids?)

Katey Troutman | More Articles

December 30, 2013

Toyota (NYSE:TM), famous for its Prius, is falling behind Ford (NYSE:F) in sales of hybrid vehicles in the United States. Ford said Monday that it will surpass 2.4 million in sales of its hybrid vehicles this year, as models such as the Ford Fusion and other hybrid units continue to experience record demand, Bloomberg reports. The 2013 totals are evidence of Ford’s success in recent years, as the American automaker outpaced Toyota in hybrid sales last year, as well.

Ford entered December leading Toyota in sales by 388,825 cars and trucks, making 2013 the fourth straight year that Ford took the top spot as the best-selling auto brand in the U.S., Bloomberg said. In 2012, Ford lead Toyota by a margin of 322,521 in sales.

In recent years, Ford has undergone a number of strategic changes under CEO Alan Mulally. One key to Mulally’s approach is narrowing the company’s focus to its namesake brand. As a result, Ford has sold off many of its former luxury brands like Jaguar, Land Rover, Astin Martin, and Volvo. The company also closed down the Mercury brand. Bloomberg reports that Ford has put renewed energy into producing models that are competitive, as well as refining the models it’s famous for, such as the ever-popular F-150 truck.

While Toyota is still set to beat Ford in U.S. light vehicle sales, Mulally’s strategy is working in the hybrid arena. The popular Fusion and hybrid models such as the Ford C-Max will boost the company to its highest level since 2000, reports Bloomberg. Ford also said it expects its hybrid sales to best 80,000, almost triple the company’s 2012 total.

The Ford Fusion, a gas-and-electric hybrid redesigned in 2012, is set to exceed 290,000 sales this year, per Bloomberg. In November, the Fusion surpassed its previous sales record set in 2011. The gains seen by the Fusion outstrip those of both Toyota’s equivalent model, the Camry, and Honda’s (NYSE:HMC) Accord by 1.3 percent and 11 percent, respectively.

Other hybrid models like Ford’s C-Max are experiencing slowing sales momentum leading up to the 2014 fiscal year after the company tweaked the model’s fuel efficiency rating, cutting its miles per gallon by 4 to 43 miles per gallon. Since then, the C-Max has had the three worst sales month since September, Bloomberg reports.

The headline and most of the article about hybrid sales is entirely false. Through November, 2013CY US sales numbers for Ford/Lincoln hybrids were just under 67,000. Toyota/Lexus had about 303,000 for the year. The Prius Liftback, at 135,291 sales, doubled FMC's hybrid sales by itself.

http://www.hybridcars.com/november-2013-dashboard/

The headline and most of the article about hybrid sales is entirely false. Through November, 2013CY US sales numbers for Ford/Lincoln hybrids were just under 67,000. Toyota/Lexus had about 303,000 for the year. The Prius Liftback, at 135,291 sales, doubled FMC's hybrid sales by itself.

http://www.hybridcars.com/november-2013-dashboard/

That's why I put the comment above the article that maybe the author thought that all Fusions were hybrids - the numbers sounded iffy.

Was turned down on my initial request to charge at work, but did find a public place down the road and took a couple pics this morning - buyers interests are nicely varied.   The Volt owner parked a bit close to me, I wonder if I took his/her regular spot... moving over one to the left tomorrow.

PHEV_6Jan14_zps3ee8e326.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

• 1 month later...

Ford plug-ins outsold all others last month.

http://insideevs.com/february-plug-sales-rise-30-fords-evs-lead-charge-into-spring/

... Leading the charge was an unexpected player - Ford; just edging out Nissan this month (by 35 cars) for the most electrified vehicles sold.

Between the Fusion Energi, the C-Max Energi and the Focus Electric, the three plug-in stablemates sold 1,460 cars, up from just 419 a year previous…good for a 248% increase. ...

So are you able to clear out of that spot after the few (2) hours it takes to charge, or do you have to leave it in the spot all day? 

This is one of the problems I foresee  with using public chargers for extended time parking, you have ( should ? ) clear out of the spot when you are charged, and its a pain to walk back and forth once more in your day to make this happen. 

- Stefan soon to be Energi owner.. 

Was turned down on my initial request to charge at work, but did find a public place down the road and took a couple pics this morning - buyers interests are nicely varied.   The Volt owner parked a bit close to me, I wonder if I took his/her regular spot... moving over one to the left tomorrow.

Edited by chex383

So are you able to clear out of that spot after the few (2) hours it takes to charge, or do you have to leave it in the spot all day? 

This is one of the problems I foresee  with using public chargers for extended time parking, you have ( should ? ) clear out of the spot when you are charged, and its a pain to walk back and forth once more in your day to make this happen. 

- Stefan soon to be Energi owner.. 

I get there around 7am and monitor the finish time by checking MFM, so once it is done about 2 hours later I always move it to free up the space for others. I don't think everyone does that, but it's just simple courtesy.

Ah OK, good on you then. :) I would do the same, but people who don't, I like to think bad karma comes to people eventually who aren't polite like that (proportional to the transgression) , but that's just my view of the world. 

I get there around 7am and monitor the finish time by checking MFM, so once it is done about 2 hours later I always move it to free up the space for others. I don't think everyone does that, but it's just simple courtesy.

Edited by chex383