Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Gas Door

fwhite42

I'm having a problem where my gas door won't open after holding down the release button. The information console says that it's ready, but the door itself doesn't open at all. I've tried tapping it, pressing on one side to see if it would release...nothing. I end up having to pop the trunk and release it with the manual pull in there.

The good news is, I haven't actually NEEDED to open it yet, I was just trying to open it to show the pressurized gas system to a friend of mine when I noticed that it wouldn't open. I have tried it several times since then to see if it was simply a temporary thing, but always a no go. So, it's not a time sensitive issue (still 3/4 of a tank from my initial fill up), but I wanted to see if either a) I'm doing something wrong, b) if anyone else has experienced this, and/or c) do I need to head to the dealer to have this looked at?

If you're hitting the fuel release door in the car and the car says it's ready to fuel, but your door doesn't pop open, then a trip to the dealer will be needed.  Most likely the actuator that releases the fuel door is bupkis and needs to be replaced.  It's good that your manual release still functions so you can add fuel when you need to.  Yay for warranties.  :)

Russael, how does one manually open the gas door if the button inside the car doesn't work? Thanks. 

Page 148 of Owners Manual:

The manual override lever is located inside of the trunk on the left rear side panel. When using the fuel door manual override to access the fuel fill inlet:

1. Turn the ignition on prior using a manual override.

2. Pull the manual override mechanism located in trunk.

3. Key off and complete refueling within 20 minutes. If more than 20 minutes is required, close fuel door, and repeat procedure. This will enable you to refuel without any issue.

Edited by jeff_h

I'm having a problem where my gas door won't open after holding down the release button. The information console says that it's ready, but the door itself doesn't open at all. I've tried tapping it, pressing on one side to see if it would release...nothing. I end up having to pop the trunk and release it with the manual pull in there. ...

Hi fwhite42,

I'm going to second what the others have said here. Your dealer likely needs to take a look at this for you to diagnose the problem. If you run into any trouble, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll come to the rescue! ;)

Ashley

Thank you, Ashley (and others). At this point, I'm 600 miles into my new Fusion and still at almost 2/3 full from the original fill up with the dealer, so the urgency to get it fixed hasn't sent me back to the dealer, yet. I notified them of the problem, and they told me to bring it in whenever I get a chance, so I'll make the trip the next time I'm planning to be in their area anyway.

Loving the car!!

Thank you, Ashley (and others). At this point, I'm 600 miles into my new Fusion and still at almost 2/3 full from the original fill up with the dealer, so the urgency to get it fixed hasn't sent me back to the dealer, yet. I notified them of the problem, and they told me to bring it in whenever I get a chance, so I'll make the trip the next time I'm planning to be in their area anyway.

Loving the car!!

Sounds good, fwhite42! Keep me posted. :)

Ashley

• 11 months later...

Hi fwhite42,

I'm going to second what the others have said here. Your dealer likely needs to take a look at this for you to diagnose the problem. If you run into any trouble, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll come to the rescue! ;)

Ashley

fwite42 or Ashley,

Can either of you tell me what the resolution was on this issue? My new Fusion is also having an issue with the fuel door which has so far stumped my dealer and their ford reps. The fuel door button does not work and the instrument panel says "please close fuel door" every time I start the vehicle until I press "ok" on the left steering wheel cluster. The dealer says that they have checked the release mechanism and traced the wires to the button and the control module to make sure that all connections are good. They even replaced the control module itself. In the process they scratched and marred the black plastic console piece near the cup holders trying to get everything apart. Four days of being in the shop and still nobody has a clue what's wrong. I couldn't be much more disappointed in Ford or my dealer right now...

fwite42 or Ashley,

Can either of you tell me what the resolution was on this issue? My new Fusion is also having an issue with the fuel door which has so far stumped my dealer and their ford reps. The fuel door button does not work and the instrument panel says "please close fuel door" every time I start the vehicle until I press "ok" on the left steering wheel cluster. The dealer says that they have checked the release mechanism and traced the wires to the button and the control module to make sure that all connections are good. They even replaced the control module itself. In the process they scratched and marred the black plastic console piece near the cup holders trying to get everything apart. Four days of being in the shop and still nobody has a clue what's wrong. I couldn't be much more disappointed in Ford or my dealer right now...

Hi there,

Ashley no longer works with us, and we're unable to give out information on resolutions for other customers cases, however, I'll be happy to loop your customer service manager in on this. Just PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

In the process they scratched and marred the black plastic console piece near the cup holders trying to get everything apart. Four days of being in the shop and still nobody has a clue what's wrong. I couldn't be much more disappointed in Ford or my dealer right now...

We had a Ford dealer do something similar to our car. I pointed out the damage to them and they replaced the parts they damaged on their dime. I also requested that they do a full detail on our car since they made a mistake which cost me time and money. They also agreed to that. The best thing to do in this situation is to have a conversation with your SA. Be sure to be polite, getting angry doesn't usually accomplish anything.

Hi there,

Ashley no longer works with us, and we're unable to give out information on resolutions for other customers cases, however, I'll be happy to loop your customer service manager in on this. Just PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

We had a Ford dealer do something similar to our car. I pointed out the damage to them and they replaced the parts they damaged on their dime. I also requested that they do a full detail on our car since they made a mistake which cost me time and money. They also agreed to that. The best thing to do in this situation is to have a conversation with your SA. Be sure to be polite, getting angry doesn't usually accomplish anything.

Meagan, Hybridbear,

Thanks, So after keeping the car in the shop for the remainder of the day yesterday the techs said they believe the issue was with the hinge mechanism on the fuel door and not the release. Perhaps there's a sensor on the hinge side causing the issue? My dealership has agreed to replace the marred plastic too so both parts are on order. If everything goes well my vehicle should be good as new after the next visit. 

Hybridbear, you are absolutely right about not getting angry and I certainly didn't while I was talking to the customer service rep yesterday. That never accomplishes anything. I was disappointed that it took them four days to figure out that "close the fuel door" actually was a problem with the fuel door and not the fuel button or the control module but it is what it is. I've been a little inconvenienced with the time it took them to find the issue, but they will fix the damage they caused and we'll all move on.

Meagen, If I need something from you, I'll let you know. I'll give these guys another shot at getting me back on the road.

Meagan, Hybridbear,

Thanks, So after keeping the car in the shop for the remainder of the day yesterday the techs said they believe the issue was with the hinge mechanism on the fuel door and not the release. Perhaps there's a sensor on the hinge side causing the issue? My dealership has agreed to replace the marred plastic too so both parts are on order. If everything goes well my vehicle should be good as new after the next visit...

Meagen, If I need something from you, I'll let you know. I'll give these guys another shot at getting me back on the road.

Sounds good to me. :) I'll keep an eye out.

Meagan

• 5 months later...

Here's an interesting situation that happened to me last week on 6/11 when I took my car in to have 2 issues repaired.  One issue was the passenger footwell ambient lighting and the other was the center console light.  The service guy said the floor mat was blocking the ambient lighting.  He said it was too high in the footwell.  I just don't see how that could have been the issue but it's fixed.  The center console light is on order so it's not fixed yet.

Here is the interesting and puzzling thing...that night when I went to fill in gas my fuel door was broken.  I think the hinge is broken.  It kinda just flops around once it's open.  And once it is closed it doesn't close tightly - you can shake the door by pushing on it.  I know the hinge couldn't have spontaneously broken.

I left on a trip on 6/12 so I called my service guy from the airport and told him about the broken fuel door.  Personally I think someone at the dealer broke it but I can't prove that.  He told me to bring the car in so he could take a look at it.  I explained that I would be out of town, I was calling from the airport, so the soonest I could make an appointment was for Friday, 6/19.  He told me no appointment necessary, just bring the car in.

I called today and my service guy said he was too busy!  But I told him I'm leaving on another trip this Sunday and I want someone to look assess the issue today.  So I took the car in, he checked the fuel filler door, saw that it was broken, and he said he will order a new one.  He said to bring my car in next Friday when I return from my trip.  

Do any of you know if the fuel door is different for the Energi than for the gas Fusions?  I couldn't find anything on line about this.  And do any of you know if not having the fuel door shut securely will pose an issue later?  The car seems to be fine.  I'm just really disappointed in my dealer/service guy at the moment.  I hope they order the correct fuel door and the correct color!

So far no warning light.  I don't see any marks around the fuel door, but the day I picked my car up there were finger prints on the fuel door and around the rear door.  I thought that was odd.  I think someone opened the fuel door unintentionally by pressing the button on the console since they were investigating the ambient light not working in the passenger footwell.  I think someone bumped the fuel door the wrong way and cracked the hinge.  No evidence of the release in the trunk being pulled.

Do any of you know if the fuel door is different for the Energi than for the gas Fusions?  I couldn't find anything on line about this.  And do any of you know if not having the fuel door shut securely will pose an issue later?  The car seems to be fine.  I'm just really disappointed in my dealer/service guy at the moment.  I hope they order the correct fuel door and the correct color!

Hopefully they won't order the wrong part...they probably broke it.

• 3 years later...

My check engine light came on because it said the fuel door was open. I paid the Ford dealership $200 to tell me a magnet was missing in the fuel door assembly and to also tell me I needed a new charging port for the no charging issue. They wanted around $350 to replace the fuel door assembly. I noticed a rattle in the fuel door. When I removed the fuel door cover I saw the magnet was loose. I pushed it back in to place and my close fuel door warning stopped. Took about two minutes. Unfortunately we consumers have to pay for the Ford mechanics learning curve.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the comments in this post. I have a 2015 Ford Fusion Energi. I had the issue where I had the warning to close the fuel door. Found out my issue was also caused by the magnet in the door itself. I got to get a screw driver to fix it permanently but the fact that could hear the magnet move around in the door and I was able to tap it back into place and everything began working again for a couple of fuel door opining cycles anyway gives me confidence in the real cause of the issue.