Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fuel door release button.

Dune

About my only real "beef" with my Fusion Energi is the placement of the fuel door release button.

Where it is on the passenger side of the center console is ridiculous.

I've had the car since last August and have lost count of the number of times a passenger has accidentally opened the door.

A minor inconvenience to be sure but one that screams "What were you thinking?" 

It's hard to think of a (reasonable) worse place to have put it.

Yes, as mentioned on other threads; it's a terrible place for a fuel door button.  Usually large companies have "form factor" experts to see potential usability issues.  It definitely should have been placed somewhere on the dash, or near the trunk release.  It makes absolutely no sense to have it there.  The "EV" button could also be in a better location.  The driver shouldn't have to reach around the shift lever.

I would agree about the charging door.  It is insecure and does not seem to be very robust. I think that an inside release would be better, a la the Volt (although that door equally flimsy).  Don't really like the idea that someone could just pop my charge door open and have access to vandalize the charge socket were they so inclined.

On a plug-in car, doesn't it seem like the charge door should be at least as secure as the gas door?

Edited by Dune

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree about the charging door.  It is insecure and does not seem to be very robust. I think that an inside release would be better, a la the Volt (although that door equally flimsy).  Don't really like the idea that someone could just pop my charge door open and have access to vandalize the charge socket were they so inclined.

On a plug-in car, doesn't it seem like the charge door should be at least as secure as the gas door?

No.  The gas door serves a purpose to keep volatile gasoline contained in an accident.  No such worry about electrons spilling out.  My guess is the door was as light as they could make it.

Gas doors and caps were unsecured for decades, and the first locking ones appeared because the price went way up, not because of the volatility of the fuel.  The gas cap isn't the containment concern in an accident, rupture of the tank is.  If, in the Fusion, security of the gas filler was paramount, then how does one explain the placement of the fuel door release that gets activated more on accident than on purpose?  As I said , the Volt has an inside release.  With all due respect to the engineers who designed the Fusion, not fitting the charge port with a secured door that releases from the inside was an oversight.  Weight?  I don't really think that the few ounces we are talking about is going to make any difference on a car with this much weight in batteries that is not intended to be a sports car. 

If security isn't going to be considered, then a better design might have been spring loaded, so that when plugged in the plug itself would hold the door open, and it would close under spring tension when removed.  This would prevent the door from being left open inadvertently, not that I do that with some frequency or anything.

Edited by Dune

• 4 weeks later...

After several accidental fuel door openings by passengers in just the two weeks I've had the car now, I have to agree that this is a very annoying design flaw. :(

Please Ford, consider if you can come up with a software-based mitigation for the current models (e.g. by only opening the door after holding down the button for 5 seconds, or perhaps after a "double click"). And, by all means, move the button elsewhere for the next vehicle update!

...Or at the very least, make the "gas depressurization/door open" button like the parking break, where you have to "pull up" rather than push.  Almost any other solution would be better than what was designed.  It's hard to believe that the Ford design engineers put thought into the location/operation of this button.

Steve

...Or at the very least, make the "gas depressurization/door open" button like the parking break, where you have to "pull up" rather than push.  Almost any other solution would be better than what was designed.  It's hard to believe that the Ford design engineers put thought into the location/operation of this button.

That would also be a good idea, but seems like there could be a software update that would change the behavior of the button to need 5 seconds continuous to pop the fuel door, or twice quickly - as the OP notes above.  

I think it was from March 2013 build date when Ford changed to capacitive switches for the overhead light and moonroof controls.  You know you have an older build if you have the actual buttons.

That might have been the same timeframe when the Bordeaux Reserve and Ginger Ale colors were dropped along with the Aluminum Pedals on the Titanium models.  But then Ford brought the Aluminum Pedals back on Titanium models.  Confusing!

I think it was from March 2013 build date when Ford changed to capacitive switches for the overhead light and moonroof controls.  You know you have an older build if you have the actual buttons.

Confusing is right, as I had one that sneaked in early I guess... SE Hybrid built in Dec 2012 had the capacitive switches, but then the Energis built in Feb 2013 and Mar 15th 2013 both have actual buttons.

• 1 year later...

Yes, as mentioned on other threads; it's a terrible place for a fuel door button.  Usually large companies have "form factor" experts to see potential usability issues.  It definitely should have been placed somewhere on the dash, or near the trunk release.  It makes absolutely no sense to have it there.  The "EV" button could also be in a better location.  The driver shouldn't have to reach around the shift lever.

Have the hill-assist as a setting (on/off) and place the EV controls where the hill assist button is on the shifter. The hill assists could also be triggered by quickly/lightly touching the brake while going down a hill.

Have the hill-assist as a setting (on/off) and place the EV controls where the hill assist button is on the shifter. The hill assists could also be triggered by quickly/lightly touching the brake while going down a hill.

I think there is room for both on the shifter - at least there is on the C-Max shifter.

The Energi has a pressurized fuel system.  When the button is pushed the pressure is equalized before the door is opened.  That's why it doesn't open right away.

Umm, you are correct about the system, but the door itself isnt pressurized, its just an outer door. And the reason why there is a door to begin with has to do with looks, not anything else as some as the other comments were debating.

Umm, you are correct about the system, but the door itself isnt pressurized, its just an outer door. And the reason why there is a door to begin with has to do with looks, not anything else as some as the other comments were debating.

From the owners manual

Easy Fuel™ Capless System

(Energi Vehicles Only)

WARNING

The fuel system may be under

pressure. If you hear a hissing sound

near the fuel filler door, do not refuel

until the sound stops. Otherwise, fuel may

spray out, which could cause serious

personal injury.

Note: Your vehicle features a locking fuel

door and an auto-sealing feature that locks