Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Rattle from back seat/trunk

blars

I have had my new 2014 Energi Titanium for 2 weeks.  Pretty much since the day or two after I bought it, I've heard a rattle from the back seat or trunk/battery area that is very persistent, even on relatively smooth roads.  It sounds like the geiger counters used to measure radiation, but constant.  I took everything out of the car last night (car seats, loose change, etc) and drove around and still heard the noise.  Has anyone else had similar issues?  It's driving me nuts as it is quite annoying for a brand new car to be rattling constantly in good road conditions.

Opened up the trunk and looked at the bars...they are zip-tied together and I can't reproduce the rattle sound by moving them around or trying to make them vibrate.  It almost sounds like it's coming from the battery compartment.  I tried driving around with both back seats folded down, and the sound does seem louder.  It doesn't sound like metal rattling either, sounds more plasticky.  On a side note, as I was trying to diagnose the sound, the check engine light came on, so that just makes my day.

No, like I said, more of the geiger counter noise.  Not sure if the noise is related to the check engine light, but I ran the vehicle health report and just got a generic message "Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory".    The sound has been happening about 2 weeks, the check engine light just came on today.

Had my wife drive me around with me in the back seat. It sounds like the noise is coming from the plastic molding around the sides of the interior...basically all around the rear window. Tried putting some pressure in various spots with no luck getting the noise to stop...it is LOUD. Going to take it back to the dealer to get it checked out along with the check engine light. Unacceptable for a car with 500 miles on it.

Had my wife drive me around with me in the back seat. It sounds like the noise is coming from the plastic molding around the sides of the interior...basically all around the rear window. Tried putting some pressure in various spots with no luck getting the noise to stop...it is LOUD. Going to take it back to the dealer to get it checked out along with the check engine light. Unacceptable for a car with 500 miles on it.

blars,

Let me lend you a hand with this. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else getting annoying rattles from their FFEs?  I took mine in last Friday for that and a check engine light.  Check engine light was fixed, and I was told the main rattle was fixed, but to bring it back this week.  Main rattle came back over the weekend, dropped my car off Tuesday morning, and its been there ever since.  I asked for an update yesterday afternoon and was told "we've fixed 3-4 of them, but there's still a few to go".  On top of that, the courtesy vehicle I got from them (a new 2014 non-hybrid) has annoying rattles also.  For those wondering, these are not just occasional rattles on rough roads...they are constant rattles on smooth roads that I can hear over the soundsystem.  I can't believe that I'm the only one if I've now driven 2 with the issue.

No rattles on my '13 after 8500 miles. Very quiet in EV mode, or as my wife calls it, 'stealth mode'.

The only sound I've heard is the gurgle-slosh of the fuel tank after I top off every couple months. Need to take it in to get the fuel tank replaced as per that TSB.

blars, please let us know how they correct your rattle.

• 2 weeks later...

blars, I am having the EXACT same problem with my 2014 Energi Ti that I took possession of about 6 weeks ago.

I think it might be something related to the seatbelts, as I padded one with a towel and I didn't hear the rattle that morning. I have the inflating rear seat belts. Sorry, I haven't done much debugging yet, as there only only one specific area of 101 that seems to reproduce the sound reliably, but it is LOUD when it does. Very odd.

Please update this thread if you find anything!

Mine was definitely not coming from the seatbelts.  I rode around in the back seat trying to pinpoint where the noise was coming from, but could not.  Took it to the dealer, who had it for 4 days total, and they tore down the headliner, and padded different areas (they never told me exactly what was causing the main rattle).  It does sound much better, but still some noises on rougher roads.  Definitely better than the continuous rattle I had even on smooth roads under 30 mph before the fix.

• 3 months later...

Any update on this?  I just got a CMAX Energi and it only has 500 miles on it.  I have this same problem and wanted to see if you could provide any additional insight. 

Congrats on your new C-MAX, carssid; welcome to the forum! If you can't track down the source of the noise, I'd recommend swinging by your dealership so they can check things out. You can wait until the next time you're in for a maintenance appointment, if you prefer. 

Crystal

• 7 months later...

I've noticed a lot of rattles in this car. I think we notice it more because in electric mode it's silent. With that being said I noticed if the bass is turned up the door panals rattle. Anyone else notice this? I had a super annoying rattle in the back and folded the seats down and took the fabric off the back behind them and it was rubbing on the metal. I put some towels back there and no more noise. Will ford fix rattles or will they just say it's because of bass? I mean I don't listen to very loud music.

I've noticed a lot of rattles in this car. I think we notice it more because in electric mode it's silent. With that being said I noticed if the bass is turned up the door panals rattle. Anyone else notice this? I had a super annoying rattle in the back and folded the seats down and took the fabric off the back behind them and it was rubbing on the metal. I put some towels back there and no more noise. Will ford fix rattles or will they just say it's because of bass? I mean I don't listen to very loud music.

I only have 1 rattle in my car, in the drivers door, with certain frequencies of the stereo. I mostly notice it when its voice only, not music, but haven't found a good way to reproduce the sound so haven't taken it in for it.

I have a rattle that comes and goes in the passenger door with certain musical tones as well.

There is also a minor squeak/rattle from the passenger seat pivot point to the seat back.  I can make it stop if I put my hand on the seatback with a little force.

99% of the time, I drive with music of some sort, so for the most part, I don't notice any squeaks or rattles.  My truck is a musical chorus of rattles. :)

I can check out some additional options on this. Have you been to your dealer yet?

I have a rattle that comes and goes in the passenger door with certain musical tones as well.

There is also a minor squeak/rattle from the passenger seat pivot point to the seat back.  I can make it stop if I put my hand on the seatback with a little force.

99% of the time, I drive with music of some sort, so for the most part, I don't notice any squeaks or rattles.  My truck is a musical chorus of rattles. :)

If you decide to quiet down the choir by heading to your dealer, please let me know. I'll see how I can assist. :)

Meagan

Edited by FordService

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium that I bought in August and I also have been having the rattling issue. Mine seems to come from the drivers side rear part of the car. I took it in once and they secured the rocker panels which didn't do anything. The second time they replaced something(I'm not sure what at the moment, but i'll update when I find my paperwork). That seemed to work for a couple weeks, but now the rattle is back. Not as loud as before, but is definitely there. Very frustrating.

Yeah, I have been really dissapointed with the amount of rattles/squeaks/buzzes in this car.  Had it just over a year now and I've been putting up with a buzzing from the dash area by the windsheild for the last few months.  Sometimes its not as noticeable, but if the ICE is on or I'm on anything but a perfectly smooth road, it is extremely annoying.  When I took it in for the original issue, they had it for about a week, and I just can't afford to be without a car that long.

Edited by blars

I have a 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium that I bought in August and I also have been having the rattling issue. Mine seems to come from the drivers side rear part of the car. I took it in once and they secured the rocker panels which didn't do anything. The second time they replaced something(I'm not sure what at the moment, but i'll update when I find my paperwork). That seemed to work for a couple weeks, but now the rattle is back. Not as loud as before, but is definitely there. Very frustrating.

When was your most recent trip to have this taken care of, Mjasim? I can check out some options; just PM me the info requested below, and I'll get on it. :)

Yeah, I have been really dissapointed with the amount of rattles/squeaks/buzzes in this car.  Had it just over a year now and I've been putting up with a buzzing from the dash area by the windsheild for the last few months.  Sometimes its not as noticeable, but if the ICE is on or I'm on anything but a perfectly smooth road, it is extremely annoying.  When I took it in for the original issue, they had it for about a week, and I just can't afford to be without a car that long.

I see Ashley reached out to you last year for this, I'll be glad to see how I can assist. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

In my car, the torsion bars that hold up the trunk up rattled.  They rattled against the rear deck (they are right below it) and against each other.  I simply slid a glove I had in my trunk between the bars and around the bars near the middle where the bars come together (they have a plastic tie to hold them together) and are close to the rear deck there. 

• 1 year later...

I have had my new 2014 Energi Titanium for 2 weeks.  Pretty much since the day or two after I bought it, I've heard a rattle from the back seat or trunk/battery area that is very persistent, even on relatively smooth roads.  It sounds like the geiger counters used to measure radiation, but constant.  I took everything out of the car last night (car seats, loose change, etc) and drove around and still heard the noise.  Has anyone else had similar issues?  It's driving me nuts as it is quite annoying for a brand new car to be rattling constantly in good road conditions.

My coworker recently bought a certified 2015 Fusion and complained of the same squeaking sound.  After trying to determine the source of the squeak, the best I could guess was that it was at the base of the rear window.  I decided to try to lubricate the trunk weather seal and rubber bumpers with some silicone grease.  That appears to have fixed it!  Hope this works for others.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine started doing this rattle also at around 40K miles.  It is driving me nuts.  I have tried different things around the torsion bars on the trunk hinge.  Sometimes I think it is working but it always comes back.  Has anyone tried removing the trunk torsion springs?  I would like to try that next and see if it stops the noise.  If it does then I will know 100% it is the springs.  I have gone from liking this car to absolutely hating it because of this noise.  My family won't ride in it anymore.  I have to get this figured out and fixed soon.

Ben