Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Rattle from back seat/trunk

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blars

blars

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 86 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2014

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

I have had my new 2014 Energi Titanium for 2 weeks.  Pretty much since the day or two after I bought it, I've heard a rattle from the back seat or trunk/battery area that is very persistent, even on relatively smooth roads.  It sounds like the geiger counters used to measure radiation, but constant.  I took everything out of the car last night (car seats, loose change, etc) and drove around and still heard the noise.  Has anyone else had similar issues?  It's driving me nuts as it is quite annoying for a brand new car to be rattling constantly in good road conditions.

269317.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Look at the torsion bars that support the trunk lid.  They run horizontally under the package shelf.  There should be a rubber section over each bar centered in the trunk.  These keep the bars from touchiing each other and the underside of the package shelf.

#3 OFFLINE   blars

blars

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

Opened up the trunk and looked at the bars...they are zip-tied together and I can't reproduce the rattle sound by moving them around or trying to make them vibrate.  It almost sounds like it's coming from the battery compartment.  I tried driving around with both back seats folded down, and the sound does seem louder.  It doesn't sound like metal rattling either, sounds more plasticky.  On a side note, as I was trying to diagnose the sound, the check engine light came on, so that just makes my day.

269317.png

#4 OFFLINE   SteveEnergi

SteveEnergi

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 187 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Does it sound like golf balls in the gas tank?  There is a TSB for that fix. I think it relates to when the tank is low.  I haven't had an issue but other's have.

http://www.fordfusio...ated-to-energi/

#5 OFFLINE   blars

blars

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

No, like I said, more of the geiger counter noise.  Not sure if the noise is related to the check engine light, but I ran the vehicle health report and just got a generic message "Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory".    The sound has been happening about 2 weeks, the check engine light just came on today.

269317.png

#6 OFFLINE   blars

blars

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Had my wife drive me around with me in the back seat. It sounds like the noise is coming from the plastic molding around the sides of the interior...basically all around the rear window. Tried putting some pressure in various spots with no luck getting the noise to stop...it is LOUD. Going to take it back to the dealer to get it checked out along with the check engine light. Unacceptable for a car with 500 miles on it.

269317.png

#7 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 254 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Had my wife drive me around with me in the back seat. It sounds like the noise is coming from the plastic molding around the sides of the interior...basically all around the rear window. Tried putting some pressure in various spots with no luck getting the noise to stop...it is LOUD. Going to take it back to the dealer to get it checked out along with the check engine light. Unacceptable for a car with 500 miles on it.

blars,

Let me lend you a hand with this. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

#8 OFFLINE   blars

blars

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

Anyone else getting annoying rattles from their FFEs?  I took mine in last Friday for that and a check engine light.  Check engine light was fixed, and I was told the main rattle was fixed, but to bring it back this week.  Main rattle came back over the weekend, dropped my car off Tuesday morning, and its been there ever since.  I asked for an update yesterday afternoon and was told "we've fixed 3-4 of them, but there's still a few to go".  On top of that, the courtesy vehicle I got from them (a new 2014 non-hybrid) has annoying rattles also.  For those wondering, these are not just occasional rattles on rough roads...they are constant rattles on smooth roads that I can hear over the soundsystem.  I can't believe that I'm the only one if I've now driven 2 with the issue.

269317.png

#9 OFFLINE   SteveEnergi

SteveEnergi

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 187 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Sorry, Blars, my car does not make rattling noise.  It's actually the most silent car that I've ever driven.

Steve

#10 OFFLINE   TX NRG

TX NRG

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 197 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationDFW
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

No rattles on my '13 after 8500 miles. Very quiet in EV mode, or as my wife calls it, 'stealth mode'.

The only sound I've heard is the gurgle-slosh of the fuel tank after I top off every couple months. Need to take it in to get the fuel tank replaced as per that TSB.

blars, please let us know how they correct your rattle.
226923.png

#11 OFFLINE   garrickk

garrickk

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Ti

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

blars, I am having the EXACT same problem with my 2014 Energi Ti that I took possession of about 6 weeks ago.

I think it might be something related to the seatbelts, as I padded one with a towel and I didn't hear the rattle that morning. I have the inflating rear seat belts. Sorry, I haven't done much debugging yet, as there only only one specific area of 101 that seems to reproduce the sound reliably, but it is LOUD when it does. Very odd.

Please update this thread if you find anything!

#12 OFFLINE   blars

blars

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Mine was definitely not coming from the seatbelts.  I rode around in the back seat trying to pinpoint where the noise was coming from, but could not.  Took it to the dealer, who had it for 4 days total, and they tore down the headliner, and padded different areas (they never told me exactly what was causing the main rattle).  It does sound much better, but still some noises on rougher roads.  Definitely better than the continuous rattle I had even on smooth roads under 30 mph before the fix.

269317.png

#13 OFFLINE   carssid

carssid

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Any update on this?  I just got a CMAX Energi and it only has 500 miles on it.  I have this same problem and wanted to see if you could provide any additional insight. 

#14 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• 254 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

Any update on this?  I just got a CMAX Energi and it only has 500 miles on it.  I have this same problem and wanted to see if you could provide any additional insight. 

Congrats on your new C-MAX, carssid; welcome to the forum! If you can't track down the source of the noise, I'd recommend swinging by your dealership so they can check things out. You can wait until the next time you're in for a maintenance appointment, if you prefer. 

Crystal

#15 OFFLINE   tsarty17

tsarty17

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCA/Humboldt
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Fusion Energi Titanium/ 08 F350
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:11 AM

I've noticed a lot of rattles in this car. I think we notice it more because in electric mode it's silent. With that being said I noticed if the bass is turned up the door panals rattle. Anyone else notice this? I had a super annoying rattle in the back and folded the seats down and took the fabric off the back behind them and it was rubbing on the metal. I put some towels back there and no more noise. Will ford fix rattles or will they just say it's because of bass? I mean I don't listen to very loud music.
  • Rexracer likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Rexracer

Rexracer

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 407 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

I've noticed a lot of rattles in this car. I think we notice it more because in electric mode it's silent. With that being said I noticed if the bass is turned up the door panals rattle. Anyone else notice this? I had a super annoying rattle in the back and folded the seats down and took the fabric off the back behind them and it was rubbing on the metal. I put some towels back there and no more noise. Will ford fix rattles or will they just say it's because of bass? I mean I don't listen to very loud music.

I only have 1 rattle in my car, in the drivers door, with certain frequencies of the stereo. I mostly notice it when its voice only, not music, but haven't found a good way to reproduce the sound so haven't taken it in for it.

#17 OFFLINE   Russael

Russael

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,442 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:1999 EB 4x4 Expedition, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

I have a rattle that comes and goes in the passenger door with certain musical tones as well.

There is also a minor squeak/rattle from the passenger seat pivot point to the seat back.  I can make it stop if I put my hand on the seatback with a little force.

99% of the time, I drive with music of some sort, so for the most part, I don't notice any squeaks or rattles.  My truck is a musical chorus of rattles. :)

I am The White Fury in Region 5 on MyFord Mobile.

#18 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• 254 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:47 PM

I can check out some additional options on this. Have you been to your dealer yet?

I have a rattle that comes and goes in the passenger door with certain musical tones as well.

There is also a minor squeak/rattle from the passenger seat pivot point to the seat back.  I can make it stop if I put my hand on the seatback with a little force.

99% of the time, I drive with music of some sort, so for the most part, I don't notice any squeaks or rattles.  My truck is a musical chorus of rattles. :)

If you decide to quiet down the choir by heading to your dealer, please let me know. I'll see how I can assist. :)

Meagan

Edited by FordService, 27 February 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Hybridbear

Hybridbear

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

We hear rattles on occasion but they're usually of our own doing by putting stuff in the door pockets. My sunglasses also frequently rattle in the sunglasses holder and I have to move them around to get them to be quiet.

Current vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic (The Snow Queen on MFM)

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm (Elektra on MFM)

315692.png

Previous vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#20 OFFLINE   Mjasim

Mjasim

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Infiniti M37, 2014 Fusion Energi

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

I have a 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium that I bought in August and I also have been having the rattling issue. Mine seems to come from the drivers side rear part of the car. I took it in once and they secured the rocker panels which didn't do anything. The second time they replaced something(I'm not sure what at the moment, but i'll update when I find my paperwork). That seemed to work for a couple weeks, but now the rattle is back. Not as loud as before, but is definitely there. Very frustrating.

2014 FFE Titanium White Platinum w/ charcoal black interior. All options. 19" H Spoke wheels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·